What do you think about the playerbase?

9inches

2 minutes ago, EffPee said:

May as well lock it

Actually... We could probably keep the discussion going.

It may be a bit hard and awkward to maneuver around the discussion of empty streets and the clear shift in player presence done to isolate the criminal community, but it may be possible...

We could always discuss the need for players interested in working at the docks? ...or maybe youth help groups.

Just now, DasFroggy said:

Actually... We could probably keep the discussion going.

It may be a bit hard and awkward to maneuver around the discussion of empty streets and the clear shift in player presence done to isolate the criminal community, but it may be possible...

We could always discuss the need for players interested in working at the docks? ...or maybe youth help groups.

There’s another thread about working at the docks; as for the other suggestion go ahead.

You know full well a certain somebody won’t stop going on about robberies until the day he’s no longer on this planet, so as I say, may as well lock it.

I don't think it's as extreme as everyone being inside 24/7 for fear of robberies.  I see it more as a combination of people being naturally inside plus the lack of an OOCly known "outside gathering place" like other GTA RP servers of the past had (Idlestacks, malls and so on).  Somehow this server has managed to avoid that and keep everyone fairly spread out.

7 minutes ago, EffPee said:

There’s another thread about working at the docks; as for the other suggestion go ahead.

You know full well a certain somebody won’t stop going on about robberies until the day he’s no longer on this planet, so as I say, may as well lock it.

Actually, I know a lot of somebody's that gave up even trying to discuss it, now that better solutions exist.

It's possible to have roleplay without risk of such problematic encounters, but it does come at the cost of the city appearing empty. 

...but that's actually an interesting part of this community, in how it's ready to adapt through new meta to utterly dissolve the progress of problem elements. Now that pesky one percent will have only their own friends to feast on while the cries of diminishing opportunities and empty streets grows louder.

As Paenymion put it - people are adapting in such a way that defies the toxic OOC behaviors. We've gone beyond the self-sustaining singularity and into something entirely new that I haven't witnessed before...

It'll be interesting seeing the toxic elements cope, and just how far they are willing to bend the rules to keep feeding their need for an easy OOC gain...

Edited by DasFroggy
48 minutes ago, DLimit said:

I've RP'd as both legal and illegal. From a pawn shop owner to a psychic tarot card reader to gang-bangers to security guards... I've RP'd in various spectrums during my time on this server, with most of their activities being situated outside of properties. 

The "significant portion" seems more like a small minority of people over-exaggerating claims, as many others are claiming that they've dedicated tons of their time, walking outside, without being robbed.

Edited because mj2002 requested this doesn't turn into another conversation about robberies, but please accept that your experiences aren't other people's experiences instead of talking about "over-exaggerating claims".

Edited by hillievonb
1 minute ago, EffPee said:

Counterpoint: Accept that your experiences aren’t other people’s experiences, you have had bad situations and others have too, that doesn’t mean that overall the situation is deemed worse than it actually is.

Nice of you to cut out the part where I refer to the ridiculous criminal demographics of the game when I mention the names, and I won't get into the terrible stereotypical choices of names for some of them, but go off.

Other than that, I'm not denying other people's experiences. He was.

I'll rather see fewer people IG but better quality.

Apart from that - I would say that our community is growing quite organically. And it's totally fine. Sooner or later we will reach 1K on the peak times and probably even more.

My recommendation to all of those who still see a "ghost town" - find a group of people with similar interests like you do and enjoy the game.

So again, speaking entirely as someone who's essentially new, I will say I have really a couple of big anxieties towards GTARP in general, and these may or may not be factual and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong:

I get the feeling the server is very much a "rich get richer" in terms of RP opportunities. I've learned how different high society Rps than other people. They get in clubs for free, they get their drugs delivered. They party with a District Attorney, and record labels. In some ways that's like the Cyberpunk, Final Stage of Capitalism dream right? It just means a lot of the money and influence is sequestered away from everyone else and has both IC/OOC protection in that, OOCly these players don't want to lose that niche and ICly they have the means to protect it.

I think that could become problematic eventually, and while it is not as outwardly toxic as griefing, it can become toxic as a form of exclusivity. For example, try getting into High Society if you're not some blond bombshell willing to do copious amounts of drugs and have lots of sex. 

The other big concern I have, is actually really more of the same but at a different angle. 

Currently the server rewards existing factions by giving them payouts and regular supply of illegal goods so that they can continue to function. This makes sense, these items can be lost and without them the criminal elements can't really provide RP other than fighting with one another. 

The issue is they don't really supply everyone. They supply their own members first as a matter of survival. Being new to the city, if you want to start up new RP by creating something new you don't get any of these benefits presently. So with your unemployment money you have to either choose to spend hours grinding legal jobs (which is not why you made your character) or deal with the fact you're probably not even going to have enough capital to get started as a street level dealer of anything. 

Meanwhile, even if you do scrap together enough money to buy some starting supply to get your game going, those same criminal elements that are literally gifted supplies are highly unlikely to supply you because you'll either a) become a rival faction, b) don't know you and assume you're an undercover cop, or c) aren't willing to work with you for whatever reason. 

It creates a weird quagmire where the people who are already established have an easier time growing and maintaining where as people who are new, get none of the same aide the established people already get for free, plus those same established people aren't often willing to help them get set up either. 

I don't know if these options can be over come. I'm working on it and I've had some limited successes. After meeting a dealer who said he'd get me in contact with a supplier if I did drugs with him to prove I wasn't a cop, I was finally able to get a contact only to realize, I'm probably not gonna have enough money to even purchase supply. So now I've gotta grind some other job to get secure drugs to give to the faction I'm trying to build so they have something to sell, and hopefully they won't get robbed in the process because as organized crime, I think we're not allowed to get PF Weapons or CCWs and then use them in our illegal activities. 

I know I have like an aversion to gangs, but I could agree, that happenings in Davis or any other part of town, are sometimes exaggerated.

Yes there are shootouts and brawls daily. But only rarely they involve random bystanders. Majority of these robberies and attacks either happen when most of PD is offline, which is not even metagaming, but reality in many countries, meaning it happens early morning and usually done by people without gang affiliation or new factions settling down. Or it is done, by people who think EU squad style roleplay is realistic.

No it isn't. They should stop watch movies like Crew or TV shows like  La Casa de Papel.