The New Drug System, and how GTAW RP became GTAW RPG

Kappaurel

1 minute ago, Kappaurel said:

I have read, I am reading, and I am answering.

The question remains, do we really want to have people consuming more drugs because they get their stats boosted? It's just.... I don't get it. Drugs in real life don't give you bonuses.

As a roleplayer in the drug user bracket, I'm very happy to see this update and am excited to see how it's further expanded. An update to our scene was long overdue, and we've long been forgotten and left behind. Now we're finally getting attention, and a dedicated drug system with a fully integrated addiction mechanic. This is a change for the positive. 

You know drugs right now actually give you HP boosts right?

I'll always do a gram or two of coke before getting into a beef

The update is actually adding a system that forces people to roleplay addictions.

You're basically getting mad about more realism on the server

Please read and read again.

5 minutes ago, Keane said:

You don't get all of the positive effects immediately. You have to take the drugs regularly and build up a tolerance to them. While you're building up that tolerance, you also have to deal with withdrawal symptoms if applicable. There's the risk of overdosing too. Drugs also have to be sourced and bought. There's some risks that come along with that. These are just the things the script brings.

Rule 1 requires players to RP at all times. So people are going to have to RP constantly around all these drugs to get the effect you want.

Rule 2 defines powergaming. If someone wants to RP the upsides of all these drugs without also dealing with the negatives, they're breaking the powergaming rule.

Rule 3 is metagaming. Someone using a combination drugs to give them benefits before going into a fight like they're playing Fallout is metagaming. Characters will still be expected to have IC reasons to take whatever drugs they're taking. So someone taking steroids before a boxing fight is normal but if someone takes a specific list of drugs because it's the meta, it's obvious what's going on.

You really need to read over the feature thread itself and pay attention to what other people are saying here.

Just now, Kappaurel said:

I have read, I am reading, and I am answering.

The question remains, do we really want to have people consuming more drugs because they get their stats boosted? It's just.... I don't get it. Drugs in real life don't give you bonuses.

So steroids don't give athletes any benefits at all?

Sure it's not a system that's 1:1 with real life but it's better than what we have now. Players are forced to deal with addiction and the downsides of drugs. They have to come with some upsides too or the issue where nobody is buying drugs gets worse. At least with the system, there's a script that helps guides players on how to roleplay things. Admins can also deal with people who misuse them as I said in my own post. The first three server rules can be used to deal with anyone who wants to play the meta and not roleplay on a roleplay server.

• Applaud 1
4 minutes ago, Keane said:

So steroids don't give athletes any benefits at all?

Sure it's not a system that's 1:1 with real life but it's better than what we have now. Players are forced to deal with addiction and the downsides of drugs. They have to come with some upsides too or the issue where nobody is buying drugs gets worse. At least with the system, there's a script that helps guides players on how to roleplay things. Admins can also deal with people who misuse them as I said in my own post. The first three server rules can be used to deal with anyone who wants to play the meta and not roleplay on a roleplay server.

Except RL, the vast majority of drug users do so safely, don't get super powers and don't end up addicted or on withdrawal.

If we cared about people dealing with the real immediate problems of drugs, there should be loss of co-ordination and severe penalties to being able to fight or even defend yourself while wasted / intoxicated.

• Upvote 1
  • Groz locked this topic
2 minutes ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Except RL, the vast majority of drug users do so safely, don't get super powers and don't end up addicted or on withdrawal.

If we cared about people dealing with the real immediate problems of drugs, there should be loss of co-ordination and severe penalties to being able to fight or even defend yourself while wasted / intoxicated.

If people want to take smaller doses, that's fine. The script caters to that. They won't get the biggest benefits. If people take larger doses, they have to deal with the consequences of that. You need to read the part where I say there's three server rules that cover any instances where players take a ton of drugs and don't RP the downsides.

• Thanks 1
26 minutes ago, Santanaa said:

you do realize no one is gonna take those drugs all together at the same time otherwise they'll either 1. have to rp getting an overdose and CK or 2. Get reported to Roleplay Quality Management and banned?

This happened WITHOUT the new drug system being in place, with the new system, they'll be WAY more careful :

uxgzFJ1.png

somebody lock this shit please

This ^

You also cannot get the effects of multiple drugs at the same time. You can only get the effects of one drug at a time. You can use multiple drugs but you'll only get the effects of the first one.

The post is becoming a broken record at this point. The upcoming drug revamp will give more relevancy and roleplay to the drug system than we've ever had, it was developed with opinions from all around the community to create a system that can stimulate the drug economy, gives a reason to even use certain substances, and creates an entirely new roleplay avenue regarding addiction and treatment/recovery. This is nothing but a plus. If you wish to turn the system into 'take everything get stronk' it won't work, the system is designed to prevent that. If you take any of the substances that give positive effects to induce them so that you can gain an advantage in a fight, you will either OD very quickly or be forced to CK due to a lack of value for your characters life. 

You're meant to be lured in to try them with these effects, that's the entire point of most hard drugs. You try them once, you develop an addiction, you become a junkie over time with use and constant buyer, which creates regular income for the dealers, roleplay for the medics if you seek treatment, and provides positive benefits to the user trying it, albeit in small increments. If you reach the stage where you're taking exuberant amounts of a certain drug, you'll hardly be able to function without it, you won't turn into some superhuman, godly being. You'll be crouched in the corner of the room or in state where you're mentally unstable or as I said earlier, overdosing. 

Judging by the replies, almost everyone understands the positive changes that this going to bring and the extra layer of illegal and legal roleplay it will add. I want you to re-read all of these replies in more detail. Throw away your bias and seriously read them, will there be situations where we might be forced to change values around? Sure, it could happen. No one ever called it a perfect, flawless overhaul. But it's much better than any system we've previously had and will provide a much more interesting and profitable avenue of roleplay to an area that was lacking in both.

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1