Damage modifier when fighting underage characters

Snoot

20 hours ago, JackMiller07 said:

Can't wait to run into a group of ULSA kids and not get harassed for drinking a Venti latte mocha caramel any longer.

Satire aside, I support this, big time.

They aren't kids though. They're usually older because it's university. Most if not all are 19 to 23 years old depending on where they're at in their studies. 😛

Feels a little too RPG for my liking. Report the child RPers who aren't roleplaying their age. I've personally seen people punished for it in the past.

Alot of people don't roleplay their character correctly in a multitude of ways, but impose stat modyfers also imposes an artifical meta that people will exploit. All those 14 year old gang bangers will just make 18 year old characters to get around it, and your gangs won't have as many young and impressionable recruits.

Maybe that's a good thing; maybe the only people who should play child characters are the ones who are willing to put themselves at an OOC disadvantage, but regardless of good or bad it opens a very ambivalent debate.

If you're going to impose a stat modifyer, then I've got to ask how far we're going here; Someone talks about imposing debuffs on female characters already. Should older characters endure debuffs? Should police have improved accuracy because they undergo balistics training? Should a characters 36DD's make it more difficult for them to run? Should a height and weight modifyer be added to the player attributes that'll affect their character's stats? 

I'm not arguing a slippery slope with all these questions, I'm trying to say that there's alot of nuances that should be kept in mind when it comes to characters. We've got to remember that this is a server where anyone can play anything. If I want to be a 7 foot bohemith with bi-cepts the size of-basket balls, the game doesn't stop me. While I personally think child characters are amung the most poorly portrayed on the server, nerfing them is extremely arbitrary and sets a bad precident for roleplay.

While I agree that we should encurage child characters to portray themselves realistically, I don't believe an OOC stat modifyer is the way to do it.

Not that anyone really gives a shit about my opinion, but -1 from me.
TL:DR I agree with the spirit of this suggestion, but I don't think RPG elements are good for roleplay.

• Upvote 1
On 5/19/2021 at 12:13 AM, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Feels a little too RPG for my liking. Report the child RPers who aren't roleplaying their age. I've personally seen people punished for it in the past.

Alot of people don't roleplay their character correctly in a multitude of ways, but impose stat modyfers also imposes an artifical meta that people will exploit. All those 14 year old gang bangers will just make 18 year old characters to get around it, and your gangs won't have as many young and impressionable recruits.

Maybe that's a good thing; maybe the only people who should play child characters are the ones who are willing to put themselves at an OOC disadvantage, but regardless of good or bad it opens a very ambivalent debate.

If you're going to impose a stat modifyer, then I've got to ask how far we're going here; Someone talks about imposing debuffs on female characters already. Should older characters endure debuffs? Should police have improved accuracy because they undergo balistics training? Should a characters 36DD's make it more difficult for them to run? Should a height and weight modifyer be added to the player attributes that'll affect their character's stats? 

I'm not arguing a slippery slope with all these questions, I'm trying to say that there's alot of nuances that should be kept in mind when it comes to characters. We've got to remember that this is a server where anyone can play anything. If I want to be a 7 foot bohemith with bi-cepts the size of-basket balls, the game doesn't stop me. While I personally think child characters are amung the most poorly portrayed on the server, nerfing them is extremely arbitrary and sets a bad precident for roleplay.

While I agree that we should encurage child characters to portray themselves realistically, I don't believe an OOC stat modifyer is the way to do it.

Not that anyone really gives a shit about my opinion, but -1 from me.
TL:DR I agree with the spirit of this suggestion, but I don't think RPG elements are good for roleplay.

I'll quote this for what I have to say. It really picks up the baselines of what this post has to mention.

Yes, it tends to be that a child would be worse in taking hits, but afaik, you can't really RP a child in that way. Most of the characters are teens. You shouldn't make them do less damage because they RP are 16-18. At this point, that'd just make it RPG, just as mentioned above.

There are good fighters who are teenagers and break each other's elbow's and then there's scrawny teens, who are weak, BUT that literally applies to men and women in all ages. Every single person can't be a bulked up fitness enthusiast but it isn't like everyone is fat or extremely slim as well. There's people who're moderate and I feel like the current script goes with that as the main point behind it.

Ask the questions from the previous post from yourself and think about it again. It's not worth it and will disengourage people from role-playing in these boundaries. All you'll see is a, well, down-fall of teen RP including this script in the server.

Also, if we're talking damages and the differential in ages, why don't we also add a completely skill based (something like a mini-game) for fighting? Imagine I hit you in the face opposed to chest, the damage should be way more... (Ironic, if you didn't notice yet). 

-1 definitely, a big no as someone who RPs a teenager and as someone that has role-played for a while.

I support this. Nobody is forcing anyone to make child characters, so nobody is required to adopt these drawbacks.

If anything, it ensures only quality roleplayers with a preference for realism will assume a younger age, as they'll be prioritizing IC roleplay over OOC script benefits.

+1

• Red. locked this topic