Official standing about IC population portrayal - Thoughts?

HeyMambo

Curious to see what everyone else thinks. From @Dawn for reference.

As members of staff we steer away from using the argument of it "being broad daylight" or "a populated area" now, and this has been the mindset of the majority of the admin team for the past two or so months. The reason mostly comes down to what @Scrat Knappmentioned, and that we are fine with characters being sloppy and making mistakes when breaking the law. We're going to keep our safezones list for obvious reasons but they're the only instances where location of the crime alone should be bought into question. That being said location can be supplemental to other things and be used to argue in different contexts (i.e. if South Central gang members heading out into Paleto to rob hunters, we frown upon that as being poor portrayal).

That is the direction that we're working towards and have been for the past two months especially. As far as I know this change in mentality was sparked from Illegal Faction Management. I personally don't have much more insight into it besides relaying what qualities we currently do or do not look for when dealing with the topic at hand. If you'd like to voice a suggestion we have an area for it which I'd recommend you voice your idea into if you would like to see change in this regard.

Crime at any time of the day isn't an issue. That's whatever. What are your thoughts now for the fact that we don't have to portray the city as being realistically populated anymore? The old reason of, "that street or area would realistically be populated IRL" is no longer a concern to the staff as a result of a push in this direction from IFM. Basically whoever is in-game at that moment is what the IC population is now based on. So if the middle of Mission Row (outside of safe zones) has no one there IC'ly, you're free to commit crime to your heart's content, within reasonable portrayal limits of course. Is this how you've always played / portrayed your approach on this server? Do you agree with this new approach by staff? Disagree? What positive or negative ramifications could this have on legal and illegal RP? Discuss.

PLEASE DISCUSS IN A CIVIL MANNER. IF YOU DISAGREE WITH SOMEONE, PLEASE DO SO WITHOUT BEING INSULTING OR RUDE.

Edited by Numelo
  • Upvote 1

It's all objective and there's exceptions so it'll be hard to enforce broadly. NYC just had a shootout in the middle of Times Square which is one of the most densely populated areas with tons of LEO presence. Is that unrealistic?

Speaking from my own perspective and not just what the current status quo is;

The consideration for time of day was removed because it was a poor argument to be made due to timezone limitations of players. A criminal roleplayer should not have their roleplay stunted because they happen to reside in a country/timezone that locks them to only be able to play in "broad daylight". I completely agree with this decision even if it appears controversial at first glance.

• Upvote 1
32 minutes ago, Dawn said:

The consideration for time of day was removed because it was a poor argument to be made due to timezone limitations of players. A criminal roleplayer should not have their roleplay stunted because they happen to reside in a country/timezone that locks them to only be able to play in "broad daylight". I completely agree with this decision even if it appears controversial at first glance.

Sure, I can get behind that, thats understandable. What I don’t understand is why location doesn’t matter anymore “aslong as it isnt paleto if the robber lices in Davis”. How does that not matter? This blanket statement opens up the door to robbery squads going North, East, South and West Los Santos to rob whoever they please where-ever they please; even when the place is densely populated 24/7 realisticly (like Legion Square)!

This is a dangerous precedent that the staff is setting and could have severe negative consequences to legal characters who were once protected by rules enforcing realism, and its a step further into going dangerously close to “cops and robbers that someone takes too seriously” territory.

Illegal Faction Management now basicly told every legal roleplayer to arm up, as thats the last resort we now have to play a legal character even in realisticly safe areas, which will flood the report section with DM reports.

This was not well thought of, and I sincerely hope the staff team will revert back the consideration of location into effect. Time of day is something I don’t mind, but criminal roleplayers should always keep the location in mind. Are there sloppy ones? Yes, but with this precedent you just opened the door for everyone to be “sloppy”.

Edited by ThatDutchPerson
38 minutes ago, Dawn said:

I wrote in the original post the time doesn't matter. What matters is the decision to disregard whether or not a place would be realistically populated as it would be in a real city, which is what we're supposed to be portraying. Not some ghost town bubble with whoever is online at that time.

Edited by Numelo
8 minutes ago, ThatDutchPerson said:

Sure, I can get behind that, thats understandable. What I don’t understand is why location doesn’t matter anymore “aslong as it isnt paleto if the robber lices in Davis”. How does that not matter?

Character portrayal and all of the consideration that goes into it are still things we look at. That example is just one of many that we view as being poor character portrayal and is therefore still something we take action against.

3 minutes ago, Dawn said:

Character portrayal and all of the consideration that goes into it are still things we look at. That example is just one of many that we view as being poor character portrayal and is therefore still something we take action against.

Not to be rude, but you are contradicting yourself with each post you make. Im sure you have good intentions but at this point its better if someone who actually sparked this up to release a comment on the matter; Illegal Faction Management.

First you say location doesnt matter anymore, in the same post you say you do, then again it doesn’t and now you say that was a mere exemple? Im confused and I hope you understand that.

• Bospy locked this topic