[LSNN] Democratic Senator Valeria Reyes: "It is no secret that the Secretary of State generally favours Republicans; Joseph Hoffman focused his campaign on throwing mud at me. I guess there's a reason why he didn't make it in the Senate."

5yHwzO3.png

Y8l4IDT.png

Democratic Senator Valeria Reyes: "It is no secret that the Secretary of State generally favours Republicans; Joseph Hoffman focused his campaign on throwing mud at me. I guess there's a reason why he didn't make it in the Senate."

BY DENNIS SIDWELL

Los Santos, SA - On the 14th of May, 2021, the LSNN team conducted an interview with Democratic Senator Valeria Reyes. This is the written version of the interview which was held on air, in the LSNN studio.

bAa9Lqq.png

Dennis Sidwell and Valeria Reyes in the studio

Dennis Sidwell: Miss Reyes, welcome to the studio!

Valeria Reyes: Hello Dennis, thanks for having me.

Dennis Sidwell: Before we talk about politics, allow me to ask, who is Valeria Reyes privately? What are your hobbies?

Valeria Reyes: Hah, my favourite hobby by far is cooking. I used to work at restaurants for a considerable amount of time. Hispanic ones, of course. We serve the best food, right?

Dennis Sidwell: I don't know, Miss Reyes, I can't say yet. I'd have to try your cooking, you know?

Valeria Reyes: I tend to host community cookouts at Chamberlain Hills every month, you should come by to check it out in that case. Everyone's welcome!

Dennis Sidwell: Miss Reyes, let's talk politics now. I know that there's been quite some time since the elections, however, this is the first time that you're our guest, so allow me to ask you, are you satisfied with the elections' results? A reminder for the citizens, the Republicans won by votes, albeit with a very small difference. Let me remind the citizens - 457 votes for Republicans and 445 votes for Democrats. Standing at five-five seats in the Senate. What can you say about this result?

Valeria Reyes: Whether I'm satisfied with the result... yes and no. I was hoping and expecting for the Democrats to gain more votes, but in all honesty I don't think either party can complain. I do however have a concern about the amount of people who voted. It'd be interesting to see if LSNN conducted a research to see how many people in Los Santos are eligible to vote, and how many people truly voted. Needless to say, everyone should vote, and we should find out how for the next elections we can get a better turn out.

Dennis Sidwell: Considering the fact that it's five-five when it comes to seats in the Senate, have you noticed complications so far, when it comes to voting on topics where you clash in opinions with the Republicans?

Valeria Reyes: It is likely possible that bills end up in a tie in regards of votes. It is then up to the Secretary of State to be the deciding vote. The eleventh vote, so to say. Whilst it is no secret that the Secretary of State does generally favour Republicans, we've not really ended up in such a situation yet. The cooperation between Democrats and Republicans right now is extraordinary, and I commend all my colleagues for it. Though we do not always share the same opinion, everyone is working effortlessly for what they believe in. 

Dennis Sidwell: Miss Reyes, tell me, what are your plans to do in the Senate now? What's the next bill or act that you'd push for in the Senate?

Valeria Reyes: I actually just introduced a bill an hour ago to enhance the penal code in regards of crime related to firearm regulation. There's a lot I want to do, Dennis. Lower crime rate in the city, help the lower and middle class economically and address issues in our State that need to be discussed. Such as the death penalty.

Dennis Sidwell: What is your view on the death penalty?

Valeria Reyes: One of my recent bills, the abolition of the death penalty act, has been discussed a lot particularly on social media. I view the death penalty as being inhumane, and not fitting to our fundamental values of our democracy. The State should not have the right to kill human beings.

Dennis Sidwell: What about abortion? 

Valeria Reyes: Though abortion is also one of those topics that should be discussed, I am pro-abortion. There is a difference between killing human beings, and ending a pregnancy through means of stopping a cell from developing. Something that is not alive.

Dennis Sidwell: What can you tell us about open carry and firearms accesibility in San Andreas?

Valeria Reyes: The majority of crimes in Los Santos involves a firearm, it is a major issue. I believe the LSPD's firearms licensing division are doing a tremendous job, and that the local authorities as well as the State should continue supporting them by all means. Legal guns aren't the issue however, illegal ones are. We're setting up a special committee soon to combat this, so it's work in progress. I hope we can make the city safer by enhancing the law enforcement against illegal guns.

Dennis Sidwell: Let's talk about healthcare in the State. Do you think it needs improvements?

Valeria Reyes: The healthcare in our State is great, but there's always room for improvement. I've already introduced a bill in regards of healthcare that would give the municipal authorities more responsibility and control over medical licensing to ensure the best quality possible. We've got great people at the Department of Health and Human Services who are very eager to bring changes, but the State needs to give them the ability to. So I hope the bill passes!

Dennis Sidwell: And what about the education system? Anything you'd change? In fact, let me ask in general, is there anything you'd change in San Andreas in general?

Valeria Reyes: ULSA is the face of San Andreas' education. Most people aspire to study there, and there is no question about it that the quality is great. I do however think accessibility is something that we should address. A kid from South Central should have the same educational opportunities as a kid from Vinewood. Money shouldn't play a part in opportunities of education. I'm therefore a big supporter of free college tuition fees for those that struggle financially, and the improvement of our high schools, particularly the one in Davis. Education is the way to combat crime, and director Milana from the City's Health and Human Services Department has already done a great step with the opening of a South LS Community Center, where everyone is welcome.

Dennis Sidwell: Miss Reyes, I'm enjoying talking to you. Too bad there's only a couple of questions left!

Valeria Reyes: Should've invited me sooner then, Dennis! Let's get on with it.

Dennis Sidwell: If it was up to me, I would've spoken to you whole day! Let's go back to politics.

Valeria Reyes: If only your enthusiasm corresponded with you showing up on time, but let's continue!

Dennis Sidwell: I have a cliche question to ask, I find it interesting though. A little bit of a digressio-- Dear ladies and gentlemen, should I start interviewing sport players and Vinewood stars instead of politicians? I mean, what is this? They will save me, my fans, Miss Reyes.

Valeria Reyes: Have you seen the performance of the ULSA football team? Worthy of an interview I'd say. What's the name of their captain... Justin? You should invite him! 

Dennis Sidwell: Absolutely, but I won't let you off easy here. I don't go easy on politicians in my shows.

Valeria Reyes: Oh no.

Dennis Sidwell: I'm joking, I'm visibly afraid. Alright, alright. Valeria, who's your favourite politician? We've estabilished here that I'm your favourite journalist, but, what about a politician? And it can't be yourself. 

Valeria Reyes: My favourite politician? Hah, Joseph Hoffman. No I'm kidding. You've seen the memes right? I gotta go with AOC. She's an amazing woman from my party who I look up to, and her powerful messages should be spread to every state and city. And then there's our vice president, of course. Living examples for every little girl to see that it is indeed possible for women being able to make it to the top, as we are equally good, if not better than men. Jones and Morales are somewhere up there as my favourites too, if we're talking locally. Lots to choose from!

Dennis Sidwell: Talking about AOC, there's been several posts on Facebrowser, on the internet, that you've allegedly copied your campaign video from her. What's your comment on it? Republican Joseph Hoffman brought it up on Facebroswer if I remember correctly. I'm not too sure though, apologises beforehand. 

Valeria Reyes: The campaign video my team produced was indeed largely inspired by AOC, a leader in the Democratic party. I'll admit the speech was rather similar, though my intention was to spread the same message as her. From New York to Los Santos. There was uh, quite some critics about it from the other party. Particularly Joseph Hoffman who focused his campaign on throwing mud at me. I guess there's a reason why he didn't make it in the Senate? Oh well!

Dennis Sidwell: What's your view on punishment versus rehabilitation?

Valeria Reyes: The Sheriff's Department is doing a great job in regards of the rehabilitation system, such as parole. I'd look forward to speak with Sheriff Washington to see how we can improve rehabilitation, as it weighs a lot more than punishment in my opinion. There are rare instances however where parole or probation should not be possible, which are cases of the worst crimes. I intend to replace the death penalty with such. Life sentence without parole. All in all? A lot of inmates deserve a second chance, those who are truly willing to improve. They should be supported every way possible to achieve such. 

Dennis Sidwell: Miss Reyes, thank you for being our guest tonight. It has been a pleasure to talk to you.

Valeria Reyes: Thank you for having me Dennis, until next time! Good night, Los Santos.

Y8l4IDT.png

3jwUUYH.png

> Comments are enabled

Username: 

Comment:

Edited by YB
  • Upvote 5

Username: ARepublican01
Comment: Oh, look at that - the fake Ocasio-Cortez wannabe communist speaking shit again. Go fuck yourself and steal some more videos from others. Fucking disgusting, what people are in the Government. 

*Comment sent from a internet café, down in Vespucci*

Edited by Tsarna

Username: Ayzee

Comment: The mentality here: "It's never okay for the government to issue the death sentence to someone who has traumatized and hurt people, but it's okay for the layman to get rid of an innocent child in development."

Great fucking job, Senator Reyes! Woo! You go girl.

** Sent on the individual's cellphone. Used home wifi. **

Edited by Zani

Username: MenAce95

Comment: what a dumbass. "the state should not have the right to kill human beings." its what the state does lol. even without the death penalty, they gonna keep killin ppl thru other means. she should stick to cookin.

• Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic