Nobody likes 24-hour lockdowns.

EDIT: It seems that the reason I'm experiencing this may be due to a bug that keeps the cell door locked according to some replies, take this recollection with more skepticism than usual.

Right now the judicial system of GTA World is very impressive - it sets a high mark for itself that is, it allows everyone to exercise their right to have a fair(ish - considering we don't have jurors yet) trial.

That's all great and all, but people who will feel most advantage of this system are anyone who was arrested and pled "not guilty." And that's not what I wanted to focus on, because even with this interesting and involved judicial system in place - I find the prison experience lacking in both roleplay and entertainment.

To my understanding there isn't currently a dedicated Correctional Officer organization and that duty was sub-let to the Sheriff's Department, which would be fine if it didn't mean that "prison roleplay" on GTA World mainly means being locked in a tiny room with no ability to ever interact with fellow inmates, or use the facilities specifically built for this roleplay.

And before you say "don't do the crime if you don't do the time" - in real life prisons most inmates, unless locked in solitary, actually get to see and interact with other inmates at, at least, some point during their stay. I haven't seen the doors unlocked in a long time.

And before anyone says that until there's a dedicated CO faction we can't have inmates roaming around without guards - this is a roleplay server, have a little faith. There is a good reason cops don't have the script-wise ability to drag people around: it's because they're expected to roleplay it themselves. And if they're incapable of roleplaying realistically, that can be handled via report section.

Basically what I'm bitching about is - don't keep the inmates locked in 24/7. Yes, I know they do this in real life and I also think that's inhumane, but who seriously wants to come into a game to sit in a room and do nothing?

"Oh, but don't do the crime then!" - I consider this a flawed logic in this instance. A waste of time is a real punishment, in fact - it is the exact punishment prison and jail achieves, among other things, in real life. When you are imprisoned in real life, your time is wasted and there's little to nothing you can do. However, let's ask ourselves the important question - when a player joins GTA W to do nothing but sit in a cell by themselves with 0 ability to interact with anyone - is this meant to be an in-character or an out-of-character punishment?

Funnily enough, I was recently "admin-jailed"(not sure if this is a thing on GTA W, I hope not) in a SAMP RP server, though it was overturned. Reason I bring it up is I see no difference between serving an admin-jail and roleplaying a character in jail in GTA W at this point, when the doors are locked (which is all the time in my experience).

Just unlock the damn cell doors, let people interact with each other. If rule breaking occurs, well - that's what reporting channels are for.

Edited by UseroneGaming

You are able to plead 'no contest' where you can fight the case but not sit in jail. Just another way around pleading not guilty as well if you don't want to stay in a jail cell that could be accidentally locked or glitch locked.

31 minutes ago, Wuhtah said:

You are able to plead 'no contest' where you can fight the case but not sit in jail. Just another way around pleading not guilty as well if you don't want to stay in a jail cell that could be accidentally locked or glitch locked.

I know this, thank you. I'm talking more about the jail RP, but now I learned about the dedicated discord.

Think you've logged on at some pretty awkward times and made a judgement. Prison RP is in one of the best states it's currently been in and people are actively roleplaying inside.

As for being locked in constantly, there's a bug with the doors due to sync like it's been stated above a couple of times. All you have to do is /fixinvi and it'll rectify itself.

To my understanding there isn't currently a dedicated Correctional Officer organization and that duty was sub-let to the Sheriff's Department, which would be fine if it didn't mean that "prison roleplay" on GTA World mainly means being locked in a tiny room with no ability to ever interact with fellow inmates, or use the facilities specifically built for this roleplay.

Also itself it's a County Jail not a full fledged prison which is why the Sheriffs Department run it.

If you're role-playing a girl, jail RP can be pretty dead, that's for sure. At least when I was last jailed, I was lucky to catch 2 others also in jail at the same time as me but that was once or twice during a 2 week sentence.

Other than that, I've seen many sceens of all the fun stuff that happens in jail on the men's side and while they don't have guards online the entire time, the guards are quick to hop on during events. 

7 minutes ago, Beholder said:

If you're role-playing a girl, jail RP can be pretty dead, that's for sure. At least when I was last jailed, I was lucky to catch 2 others also in jail at the same time as me but that was once or twice during a 2 week sentence.

Love TTCF but yeah, if you're playing a female character you might as well forget finding RP in jail unless you're extremely lucky, it's a shame really. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic