Add a rule regarding other games being used ICly

As a premise for this, I'm also looking to gauge people interest in a rule like this. And if you have a meaningful suggestion to add to this, something I haven't thought of maybe, throw it in. Please keep the thread clean though. I know how this sort of thing could get some people a bit irked. 

Short description: 

Add a rule that allows and regulates the use of other games to facilitate roleplay.

Detailed description: 

What I am suggesting here is as the title suggests, allowing other games to be used and taken IC to a certain level. Allow screens and footage from these games to be used in character stories, on facebrowser, in faction threads, or wherever else they might be used. The rule would be in place to actively give players a solid understanding of what they would be allowed to use ICly and what would be off limits or considered unrealistic.

Example:

A while back, myself and some friends approached an admin in charge of facebrowser about using screens from the Ubisoft game Steep as photos from an IC group trip to the alps. We were approved for this, but obviously we needed to keep it realistic. So we had our own set of rules in place of what we could and couldn't use ICly. In the game, you can literally use rocket wing suits as they were part of a DLC. Now while they are fun as hell, those things are, in reality, rare as hell and exceedingly expensive, so they were off limits. Another thing that was off limits was some of the unrealistic riding that was possible on snowboards, skis and the like such as monumental jumps from cliffs.

I believe that this rule could extend to a large number of games with all sorts of potential RP that could come from them. An example of how this could help people could be a recent report against a few players who were racing "Rally" cars around the mountains. It was mentioned in the report that these cars are usually used on a closed track, which they also admitted was very hard in GTAW. What if these players were allowed to actually take a game like Dirt Rally ICly as a smaller, amateur event that they had to travel out of state to go and take part in. Of course, a rule to add to that game would be that competitions against AI drivers could only be taken as small time non impactful events. We can't have 37 World Rally Champions running around LS, it's just not realistic. But putting up footage from your small time race up in another state on facebrowser, I can't see too much of an issue with that.

Take Minecraft for example, I know of a group of players who have a Minecraft server that they take ICly. What I mean by this, is that they play the game together, and take it ICly as it is their characters playing the game. I think this is a really neat little way to add some flavour to the roleplay within certain groups.

How about Arma or Squad? Hear me out here, what if a person wanted to play a military character? Perhaps they could be deployed to the islands of Altis and Stratis and might come back with a few war stories that would affect the development of that character. Maybe they could not play the character on GTAW while they were deployed overseas. Perhaps multiplayer PvE situations could be used so that these players have real war buddies that they can go and drink their troubles away with at their local drinking establishment while they remember their times abroad.

I'd suggest making a dynamic list of games that all players had permission to use ICly without need for further approval. This would simply include what games are allowed to be taken ICly, and what the specific rules are for those games.

Example:

Game: 

Steep

Rules:

• All riding must be kept realistic, this means no jumping off of mountains and falling 2000 feet to a perfect landing.
  • Rocket wingsuits are not allowed due to their rarity and price.
  • Screenshots used ICly must be realistic in the way they are taken. (Was a person on the ground with a camera? Was it GoPro fixed to the rider? Or was a drone used?)
  • Due to lack of customisation of character models in Steep, faces must be covered or not visible in photos.

How would your suggestion improve the server? 

I believe that this rule would have a number of effects on the server. Firstly, it would allow for people to deepen their own RP in certain areas they choose to enjoy. Characters who do not have current in GTAW means to reach their full potential would be given a new lease of life and be able to far more in depth as to what they would be doing both in the state of San Andreas and further afield. I also believe that this would mitigate certain situations where characters are caught in bad ways while trying to do what their character does.

Additional information: 

This will be a dynamic post, I will edit with further suggestions about the rule and make changes where they are needed. Please feel free to add your own ideas on this rule and make suggestions about where my idea could be improved. I'm always open to make changes to my idea.

• Upvote 1

This already falls under metagaming and absolutely isn't allowed. Talking about other games IC is obviously different though but if people are roleplaying as characters from other games, they really need to rethink their approach to roleplay

Edited by Moonsong
9 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

This already falls under metagaming and absolutely isn't allowed.

That is literally the point of this suggestion. It is a suggestion to provide a rule to regulate this sort of thing so that in cannot be used in any sort of metagaming way. The idea is not to roleplay as a character from a game. It is to use that other platform to play as your character to facilitate your RP. To put it simply, No, you cannot play as agent 47 in hitman and then say you are a hitman in GTAW. But yes, you could play as a snowboarder in the game Steep and portray this in game as your memories of a trip to the alps. (This was the situation that was actually approved.)

12 minutes ago, Moonsong said:

if people are roleplaying as characters from other games, they really need to rethink their approach to roleplay

This is a complete misunderstanding of the rule I am trying to suggest here. Please try and understand that I am not suggesting people roleplay as characters already established in other games. Any game where you play as a specific character with a story would simply not be allowed under this rule.

53 minutes ago, YB said:

No. You can RP playing a game with a /me command. Other than that, it shouldn't be allowed.

Again, you have misunderstood the suggestion here.

Please read what this suggestion is. People talking about the games they have played is already allowed ICly.

Edited by Scorch
  • Upvote 1

I think this could be a fantastic way to broaden the way people could get creative with screenshots and different programs. The set list of games that can be utilised would avoid confusion and discussion — either the screenshot follows the rules, or it doesn't. It'd be a one-time discussion and whilst not every player would utilise this addition, it'd be a fantastic white canvas for the more creative under us.

• Upvote 1

Cool suggestion on paper, but this will lead to people using unrealistic elements of these other games. I’d rather not cross into that territory, whether the game is “approved” or not. Just leaves too many things open to interpretation. We have a hard enough time with people who use Menyoo let alone another game entirely. 

11 minutes ago, Sixty said:

Cool suggestion on paper, but this will lead to people using unrealistic elements of these other games. I’d rather not cross into that territory, whether the game is “approved” or not. Just leaves too many things open to interpretation. We have a hard enough time with people who use Menyoo let alone another game entirely.

Thanks for the reply and the support in your first sentence there. I completely agree with you that there is a real potential for how unrealistic events could be portrayed in with this. Out of interest, would you have any suggestions to add to or to edit this idea that could help to mitigate that?

5 minutes ago, NickyW said:

yeah absolutely not

people who post screenshots of shit they never did ICly is already cancer, let alone shit they did on a /different/ video game

i like the spirit of the idea, but no thanks.

Same to you as well, thanks for your comment on the spirit of the idea. I can certainly see where you are coming from on the things that are already posted under this sort of idea. That would be what this rule is there to regulate. To add a clear guideline on what games are allowed to be used and what is allowed to be done in said games. Would you have any suggestions or any hypothetical examples of rules that could maybe be used whether they be for Menyoo or for the other games as mentioned?

15 hours ago, NickyW said:

yeah absolutely not

people who post screenshots of shit they never did ICly is already cancer, let alone shit they did on a /different/ video game

i like the spirit of the idea, but no thanks.

People post shit they never did icly all the time. Usually as part of the back story. I used once screens from GTA 4 to illustrate a life of the poor in streets of Liberty City. Not on this server, but still. If its a war background, how are going to simulate war in GTA5 without extensive usage of menyoo? You can't.

For instance, I used this pic to despict a memory flashback in one thread.

Spoiler

4KJoIMv.png

Edited by Engelbert