Do you prefer illegal or legal RP?

Vaper

Illegal.

My experience playing a legal character wasn't nearly as exciting or interesting. Overall, I've also encountered much better RPers while playing illegal characters, RPers who take the time to properly develop characters and put real effort into their RP.

As a new player, I was discouraged from RPing on the south side because of the poor reputation of illegal RPers on that side of the map. I'm glad I eventually found my way there and into illegal RP, otherwise I would have quit GTAW a long time ago.

Made my way from illegal RP into Legal once I moved to this server from another community. Legal RP is much less time constraining, so it fits my schedule IRL more. Plus the money ain’t bad neither. 

Although if I ever had more free time IRL I’d try out illegal again and do some quality character development. 

Illegal roleplay grants you the freedom to diverge onto either side of the line. I feel as though your goals and ambitions are more clear as an illegal roleplayer and so that allows you to focus a lot more on your development.

Legal roleplay labels you as a ‘legal’ character, you’re unconsciously less likely to commit crime or be less straight edge due to that label. While I personally see it as an individual problem, I feel like a legal character is less likely to have more notable IC goals and ambitions, and therefore are less likely to develop in a noticeable direction; not inherently a bad thing it’s just more happens in the life of an illegal character for them to develop from.

• Upvote 1

I prefer RP overall and don't give either side a title anymore because someone who is a cop may do something illegal and someone who may have been jailed before may work at a nightclub now. I feel like labeling each realm puts a bubble around what you can and cannot do because you're suppose to only focus on being either "legal" or "illegal". 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, Ronnie two poles said:

I prefer RP overall and don't give either side a title anymore because someone who is a cop may do something illegal and someone who may have been jailed before may work at a nightclub now. I feel like labeling each realm puts a bubble around what you can and cannot do because you're suppose to only focus on being either "legal" or "illegal". 

Yeah I find that people that dichotomise it that way are often poor role players; but that's just my personal opinion. There's no clear cut line there.

I suppose it's a judgemental statement at it's core to whether or not your character is committed to a "life of crime", but most people have fully legal jobs while committing crimes. 

A gas station clerk could be selling weed. A legitimate businessman could be laundering money. A cop could be coaching witnesses.

In fact, here's a question for the reader, if a cop is coaching a witness, are they a legal, or an illegal role player?

• Upvote 2

I do both but I find that more often, you'll find better roleplayers on the illegal side and better OOC attitudes on the legal side, so they both have their strengths and weaknesses.

That being said, illegal RP is often much more interesting, while legal RP requires a really /intriguing/ character to do right.

That being said, I very much like the idea of celebrities (which would primarily be legal), but no one's really doing that rn.

I've tried both, personally I prefer legal (not a huge fan of separating legal/illegal, but for the sake of clarity). 

More particularly I enjoy exploring the dynamics of corporate environments and the interactions between characters in them. (also between the corporate side and government, agencies, general public, shady individuals and groups and the like)

It can be challenging, but it's really enjoyable once it gets done right and I enjoy the complexity which it can provide.

Tons of opportunity for good, complex character development as well. 

Edited by Winged
  • Wuhtah locked this topic