New factions should HAVE to go through Unofficial Groups first

Goonbag

33 minutes ago, Ronnie two poles said:

I'm curious of something - for a community like GTA:W; does being a faction leader feel rewarding compared to another community that took months to make your faction official, sometimes a year? I know this is a RP server after all but does 3 weeks feel rushed and rewarding? 

Coming from someone who led multiple factions, and was in one with supplier... the only thing felt rewarding was supplier. Official was meaningless (this was before Groups were added, but the point stands).

41 minutes ago, Ronnie two poles said:

I'm curious of something - for a community like GTA:W; does being a faction leader feel rewarding compared to another community that took months to make your faction official, sometimes a year? I know this is a RP server after all but does 3 weeks feel rushed and rewarding? 

Leadership is a burden, everything you do should be for the benefit of the players who partake in your faction. So long as you can facilitate enjoyable roleplay for your faction members: that is all that matters. 

• Upvote 3
1 hour ago, el san verde said:

Unofficial groups should be renamed to unofficial factions, and official could stay the way it is then. Once the CK shit changes, as it's honestly stupid that it's a one-way street n not a two-way street. Official factions should be liable to be CK'd if unofficial ones are too, over a PK. 

The name doesn't matter. The CK permits aren't there innately. The CK perms are for groups that don't show fear or attempt to muscle in on larger, established factions despite having smaller numbers. This prevents "conflict factions" or factions created to attack and antagonize another faction. People are acting like any official faction can CK them without sufficient reason which isn't true. There is a process and there needs to be sufficient reasoning just like a normal CK application on another player.

1 minute ago, Beholder said:

The name doesn't matter. The CK permits aren't there innately. The CK perms are for groups that don't show fear or attempt to muscle in on larger, established factions despite having smaller numbers. This prevents "conflict factions" or factions created to attack and antagonize another faction. People are acting like any official faction can CK them without sufficient reason which isn't true. There is a process and there needs to be sufficient reasoning just like a normal CK application on another player.

Still a unhealthy system, coming from someone who's led countless official factions before in OOC leadership. It should be both ways, or no way.

I honestly don't know why this isn't already a thing.

I'm an LEO RP'er, so my knowledge about illegal stuff infrastructure / organizational wise is limited. I hope people weren't serious when they said factions made by admins got instant official status. Cause I'll concur, that's very very unfair & biased.

A "Faction" should have it's roots as unofficial, start from literal scratch, and work your way up. With official status being awarded to those who:

A) Stick with it, regardless of what happens, and take the good with the bad.

B) Provide others with regular content via faction threads or whatever to make it easy to follow the activity.

C) Built up enough renown/reputation to not only reinforce the notion of deserving official status, but also known to the community for providing quality roleplay, not only to eachother, but also to other RP groups (I.E Civilians, Cops, etc..)

In short, a system that promotes roleplay, hard work and above all, relies on the skills and capabilities of players. And not based off of howmany DM video's to cringy-ass rap music they churn out. 

Can we just go back to the old system, it worked perfectly and didn't put people in boxes. You just have FACTIONS, plain simple. None of that "unofficial" stuff. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old system, why do people always feel the need to feel special with a very special "official" brand on your faction. I thought we didn't want an LSRP type system but isn't that basically exactly what is happening now anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong.

3 hours ago, Martyn said:

Can we just go back to the old system, it worked perfectly and didn't put people in boxes. You just have FACTIONS, plain simple. None of that "unofficial" stuff. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the old system, why do people always feel the need to feel special with a very special "official" brand on your faction. I thought we didn't want an LSRP type system but isn't that basically exactly what is happening now anyway? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Something wrong with the old system was it was harder for IFM to monitor what a hopeful faction was doing, the whole purpose of unofficial groups is for IFM to be able to monitor groups while on their route to becoming a faction. IFM is able to see what a group is up to and if they are up to par with server standards by looking through their thread most of the time, this is why the groups phase was initially made, because it was too hard to monitor what hopeful factions were getting up to.

Anyways, supporting this.

I'm not currently involved in illegal RP so I don't have first hand experience but I feel like Unofficial Groups are a good idea. It's hard to say how much time/effort is needed to show that you are "ready" for official faction status, but also I think that just a couple of weeks is too little time. The first few weeks of a faction is when everyone that started it is at their peak of immediate interest. It's when people pump out screenshots like crazy and when they're playing around with all of the potential of a concept and developing it at much more intense rate.

I think that a group's real future can't be judged within 2-3 weeks because a lot of the time that has historically also marked a breaking point where people get tired of the alts they made for that faction, or slowly direct their attention to something that interests them more. A lot of groups that showed huge potential on the server never lived to a month. Is being "official" an incentive? Certainly, but that alone won't really keep a faction afloat but rather keep it with a skeleton crew because they want to cling to their official status.

Honestly I think that being granted official status should be marked by quality roleplay but also when the group has showed through time that they have chances of surviving if some of the core group of members carrying it (and there's always one) lowers their activity somewhat.

4 hours ago, Koko said:

Honestly I think that being granted official status should be marked by quality roleplay but also when the group has showed through time that they have chances of surviving if some of the core group of members carrying it (and there's always one) lowers their activity somewhat.

Yes, and this would also provide a level of transparency around the decision making process, giving those seeking their faction to be granted official status the option of challenging decisions. Transparency is a good thing. Unless the aim is to make it a secretive process.

• Gore locked this topic