Remove OOC limit of not being able to drive faction or government/police vehicles

thutl

Short description:

Currently when you try to enter a government or faction vehicle as a driver, and you do not belong to said faction, it simply prevents you from driving, and it kicks you out. This limitation should be removed.

Detailed description:

Currently when you try to enter a government or faction vehicle as a driver, and you do not belong to said faction, it simply prevents you from driving, and it kicks you out. This limitation should be removed. Faction members, government officials, and police should learn how to lock their doors, and their vehicles should be subject to the same risk of theft as regular vehicles, should they forget to lock them. In the real world, there have been many scenarios where a suspect has stolen a police vehicle during a pursuit or other interaction. As an in-game example, a police officer could get out of their car to chase a suspect down. The police officer could forget to lock or turn off the engine of their cruiser, and the suspect could eventually loop around full-circle on foot back near the cruiser, notice that it is unlocked and the engine is running, and they could hop in and escape, leaving the officer stranded due to their own negligence.

Commands to add:

n/a

Items to add:

n/a

How would your suggestion improve the server?:

It would open up more opportunities for criminals to escape if they by chance are lucky enough to find themselves in a pursuit or police encounter where a police officer has failed to lock their doors or turn off their engine.

Additional information:

Obviously police vehicles can be tracked, which should be kept in mind by anyone who takes a police vehicle.

Obviously people should not be lockpicking or hotwiring police vehicles. Operating them should only be permitted when they are already unlocked and running.

IC issue, IC consequences. Anyone stealing a government vehicle can expect even more severe charges on top of whatever else they already had.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V94wThFo0HU

Edited by thutl
  • Upvote 1

I think the reason this isn't a thing, and why it probably will remain not being a thing, is cause this is the exception, rather than the norm. 

That, coupled with the fact that there is infact anti-theft options available to emergency vehicles. 

My department had a system where you'd flick a switch somewhere that keeps the engine running, but locks the vehicle in park. Once activated, you then need to flick a secondary switch which is usually hidden very well, to de-activate the system again. 

So trust me when I say, anti-theft is a thing, and some systems being very, very elaborate. 

There's also the fact that in real life most people won't risk stealing emergency vehicles from a scene because they don't want to get imprisoned over a joyride where as on GTA:W people shoot each other for throwing a punch, let alone the amount of people that'll be going to steal emergency vehicles because they won't face real consequences other than a few hours in prison compared to the lifetime consequences you'd have in real life. No. 

• Upvote 2
  • Applaud 2

I'm conflicted.

On one hand, it's unrealistic to immediately boot people from cars based on a character flag.

On the other, I'm really not interested in seeing cop car joyrides every day.

I'm much more in favor of "stop calling GTAW heavy RP" than I am enacting absolute realism.

Plus. To add onto what I already said.

It's because of those few instances, people take notice and most modern-day vehicles. I'm thinking 2020 & up itterations of vehicles, have anti-theft systems built in directly as standard. I'm thinking about the new Tahoe for instance, that has dedicated anti-theft. 

No, no and no.

While on one hand there could for sure be amazing roleplay to be had with the restrictions removed, it'll be like stated above. Most of the stolen emergency vehicles wouldn't be up to par. As in reality, these situations happen, but on a broader scale, they are very far between, however with the restrictions removed on this server this will happen multiple times per day.

I'm all for it, but we all know it's gonna be abused by a few trolls and break the immersion for everyone around? Maybe do a command for it that has to be approved by admins? But then again people who would steal a police car would do it during the heat of the moment making it pointless to add the command since admins will take time....'

I dunno, I want it in, but at the same time I don't. Maybe try it for a while and sees what happen? Make a rule that if you steal it without proper reasoning you get banned 100%?

I say worth a try.

4 hours ago, SpartanofSparta said:

There’s a reason these videos get a lot of attention. It’s rare. Exceedingly rare. 

And it would become a daily occurance. A lot of things on the server happen simply because people can do it, not because it makes sense for their character or the fitting to the oh-so realistic immmitated world of LA and California.

Robberies on specifically armed individuals (Truckers, Hunters, etc), breakin attempts into vehicles at a police station, going to jail repeating the same crime 3 days later with No character development, etc.

The simple fact that people could steal police cars will lead to multiple cars stolen all across the city and people going out of their way to look for an opportunity to steal a car for a Joyride. Just like any other unregulated or loosely regulated type of crime. Mixed with no option to counteract it (actual proper tracking, recognition of unauthorized use, anti-theft, etc) it will lead to a whole mess.