What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

15 minutes ago, Large Hazard said:

I'll give a more nuanced response to this. There are and have been quite a few bad skinhead characters on this server, and that's where the scorn should lay. It's the same as any other type of roleplay, there's a lot of pure shit on this server. And much like any other type of roleplay, we wouldn't be complaining that it's 'overdone' if it was always done well. It's only because there are too many bad examples that we see a concept as a problem at all.

I once again really gotta state I didn't say /all/ skinheads, I didn't mention all /white/ gang characters, I didn't mention any specific factions, I mentioned this weird cariacature in these realms of roleplay, the glorification of the Swatiska, the "that's white bro" the constant usage of racial slurs defended as "ironic" that one dude in every white gang discord who you think probably has a hentai picture of Hitler in a bikini behind his monitor. I say this because white gang roleplay is HUGE in GTAW, so I think it's a little overrated when it's got a lot of these really cringy edgelords in it. Which is just a fact of life since they're trying to replicate a bunch of terrible human beings.

Props to the roleplayers who aren't racist's. I don't think a majority of them are. I think a minority definitely are, and it's ok for me to say that. The thread is literally about things people think are overrated, don't get so defensive I'm not calling for the end of all white people. Sheesh.

Edited by KinnyWynny
2 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

gee willikers im getting all the angry quotes now

i never mentioned i hated white people, it'd be ironic since im from the void that is ohio.

I just said that people's glorification of the Nazi Ideology when playing chromed head males is problematic and a little bit cringy : )

Okay 🙂

There’s just not enough to say that they’re overdone, at least not like Crip, Blood, or Sureno gangs is all.

5 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

I once again really gotta state I didn't say /all/ skinheads, I didn't mention all /white/ gang characters, I didn't mention any specific factions, I mentioned this weird cariacature in these realms of roleplay, the glorification of the Swatiska, the "that's white bro" the constant usage of racial slurs defended as "ironic" that one dude in every white gang discord who you think probably has a hentai picture of Hitler in a bikini behind his monitor. I say this because white gang roleplay is HUGE in GTAW, so I think it's a little overrated when it's got a lot of these really cringy edgelords in it. Which is just a fact of life since they're trying to replicate a bunch of terrible human beings.

Props to the roleplayers who aren't racist's. I don't think a majority of them are. I think a minority definitely are, and it's ok for me to say that. The thread is literally about things people think are overrated, don't get so defensive I'm not calling for the end of all white people. Sheesh.

I understand your problems with the white roleplay community. If you only see them from a distance I can understand how you'd come to those conclusions. But what was said about white factions not condoning racism OOC is 100% correct, it's not tolerated at all. There are specific examples I can remember of bonafide OOC white supremacists with swastikas in their bedrooms getting really angry at white factions when they found out they don't actually support those views OOC. One of them even made ranting YouTube videos about it on LSRP, which is something some of us still remember with a slight smirk.

In my opinion the actual problems that exist within that community are roleplay- and character-related, there's not a culture of actual racism within or around them.

Also, yeah, I can see how you think they're simply overrated. I've shared that opinion in the past. It was a lot worse on LSRP though.

Edited by Large Hazard
  • Upvote 1
9 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

gee willikers im getting all the angry quotes now

i never mentioned i hated white people, it'd be ironic since im from the void that is ohio.

I just said that people's glorification of the Nazi Ideology when playing chromed head males is problematic and a little bit cringy : )

You aware, that those posts on reddit were taken from IC internet forum right? 🙂

2 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

whataboutism

i dont think they're overdone, i think they're overrated

I’m not from the US, I’ll see you where Ohio is but I don’t think they’re overrated either really, LCN and Legal rp seems a little overrated though. Like PD and the fire department.

you think people who rp skinheads are all like that?

2 minutes ago, Large Hazard said:

I understand your problems with the white roleplay community. If you only see them from a distance I can understand how you'd come to those conclusions. But what was said about white factions not condoning racism OOC is 100% correct, it's not tolerated at all. There are specific examples I can remember of bonafide OOC white supremacists with swastikas in their bedrooms getting really angry at white factions when they found out they don't actually support those views OOC. One of them even made ranting YouTube videos about it on LSRP, which is something some of us still remember with a slight smirk.

In my opinion the actual problems that exist within that community are roleplay- and character-related, there's not a culture of actual racism within or around them.

Also, yeah, I can see how you think they're simply overrated. I've shared that opinion in the past. It was a lot worse on LSRP though.

fair enough, I do like a few of them, but at the end of the day, I do know a lot of great white gangs/criminals, just never had a good interaction with a Skinhead. Probably bad luck like all things.

3 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

You aware, that those posts on reddit were taken from IC internet forum right? 🙂

didn't read it sorry

1 minute ago, EyelessRaymond said:

I’m not from the US, I’ll see you where Ohio is but I don’t think they’re overrated either really, LCN and Legal rp seems a little overrated though. Like PD and the fire department.

you think people who rp skinheads are all like that?

10 minutes ago, KinnyWynny said:

Just now, KinnyWynny said:

fair enough, I do like a few of them, but at the end of the day, I do know a lot of great white gangs/criminals, just never had a good interaction with a Skinhead. Probably bad luck like all things.

didn't read it sorry

Yeah wasn't first time someone too our IC section out of the forums and posted those comments elsewhere. But my personal view is that white supremacist gangs vary. Like not all of them are necessarily racist, least not outside prison. In prison situation is different, but outside they often make deals with any kinds of people. Skinheads are of different sort and don't have to be an actual gang. 

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic