What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

2 hours ago, GF said:

Honestly, clubbing. While it is fun and all, I think it happens way too often and can be super repetitive and time consuming.

I see a lot of people spending their entire session dedicated to going to clubs. While there is some good roleplay that could happen inside of a club, it's always nice to shake things up a bit you know? On a different server, I used to be one of these people. All I would do is log in, hop a bunch of clubs and bars, then log out. I then realized I wasn't really roleplaying as I wanted to, just doing the same thing over and over and it got me burnt out.

Don't get me wrong. It's fine to roleplay the whole club scene, and I think it's very true to the setting of Los Santos that it would be a bustling scene. I just try my best to avoid it being the highlight of every session.

I manage a Club and I wholeheartedly agree. It's the reason why I stick to opening on Saturdays only (since it's one of the nights that'd make more IC sense) and then through the week I RP passively around the Club, doing deliveries, filling stock, organizing bookings etc. It's also important that people acknowledge their actions in a club, which is why I love the Koreatown night scene: you see people sat on the side of the street after, or dying to get some food, girls drunkenly carrying each other to a taxi... but that's why Clubs need to be developed as an ecosystem, really, and exist together with the areas they live in, instead of being a venue in the middle of nowhere.

Otherwise you get these places in which people get drunk, have their fun, then they go to the next place and they're suddenly fine, which is borderline PG. People really need to RP around getting wasted more, 90% of the population got an iron stomach and down bottles of Hennessy like it's water.

• Upvote 1
12 minutes ago, knppel said:

Bro did you ever check how fast people are back on their feet after grieveous injuries

Yup, I'm involved across the legal to illegal spectrum so I sadly get to see it often. At the end of the day unless you're in some sort of OOC leadership position in a faction where you can bring those expectations towards people you can only really self-police your RP. I know RPing in a cast, a wheelchair or just a hospital stay is boring and challenging but that's just life sometimes, I don't expect people to RP recovery for months but even one or two days of it is better than being running around forty minutes after you caught some bullets with a "/me has surgery and survives" type situation.

10 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

Every business, I think you mean.

Well yes, but in the context of the conversation and with Clubs specifically, a lot of them are an ecosystem of their own that starts and ends at the door. Other businesses hit or miss more on this one, but tend to do better than Clubs across the board do.

47 minutes ago, Koko said:

Well yes, but in the context of the conversation and with Clubs specifically, a lot of them are an ecosystem of their own that starts and ends at the door. Other businesses hit or miss more on this one, but tend to do better than Clubs across the board do.

Well, my statement was very broad. And you're correct about the club part for sure.

I mainly meant I would like to see more businesses that cater to something other than just the club experience. And I realize that it can be difficult and the over head on something like a restaurant is a lot larger, plus I'm not sure if long term interest is there from a server stand point. I think it's something that the community in general should take steps in helping establish.

I know several months, maybe even a year ago there was a restaurant that opened a few times. A fine dining establishment. And I think I saw the restaurant open maybe a handful of times? Other than that? Just the roof top bar.

6 minutes ago, SaintBatemanofWallStreet said:

I mainly meant I would like to see more businesses that cater to something other than just the club experience. And I realize that it can be difficult and the over head on something like a restaurant is a lot larger, plus I'm not sure if long term interest is there from a server stand point. I think it's something that the community in general should take steps in helping establish.

I think a large issue is that people often see businesses as "get rich quick" schemes, and to be honest with you? The most profitable kind of business in this server is a small business you can work yourself (or with one or two friends). With the government bonus, if you're consistent about opening a small neighborhood store in an area, you're going to be seeing consistent money. For a restaurant, you need cooks and servers, which can be very hard to retain because of the repetitive nature of the RP (and because not everyone is good at RPing small, real life environments like a kitchen as a small world of their own).

Many people get excited about a business and then realize it's too much work or can't be bothered, when in reality a business is, imho, best seen as a tiny, mini-faction. Then there's also the problem with even acquiring a property (which can take months) and furnishing etc. It's a big investment for something that might not be the instant hit people expect, in a server with a short attention span.

Edited by Koko
2 hours ago, MeowTheEpic said:

Characters with a pissy attitude towards everything for no other reason than just to be total assholes, mainly in the illegal sphere of roleplay. Our only solace is that they mostly get killed off easily after crossing too many people, you'd at least try to be indifferent before trying to make enemies of a person you don't know.

This.

47 minutes ago, Koko said:

I think a large issue is that people often see businesses as "get rich quick" schemes, and to be honest with you? The most profitable kind of business in this server is a small business you can work yourself (or with one or two friends). With the government bonus, if you're consistent about opening a small neighborhood store in an area, you're going to be seeing consistent money. For a restaurant, you need cooks and servers, which can be very hard to retain because of the repetitive nature of the RP (and because not everyone is good at RPing small, real life environments like a kitchen as a small world of their own).

Many people get excited about a business and then realize it's too much work or can't be bothered, when in reality a business is, imho, best seen as a tiny, mini-faction. Then there's also the problem with even acquiring a property (which can take months) and furnishing etc. It's a big investment for something that might not be the instant hit people expect, in a server with a short attention span.

Yeah. The get rich quick scheme and not giving a business time to develop and flourish in the short attention span environment is the real killer.

I would love to see more businesses that are like the pride and joy of a character. You know? Life's work and livelihood kind of thing. But, given the current climate, you don't see too much of it.

• Wuhtah locked this topic