What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

10 minutes ago, Wolfhound said:

Sadly, a lot of people are either unreasonable or don't wish to change.

In RP communities there has already been a clear difference between consumers of RP and creators of RP, with a kind of player in the middle I like to call facilitators of RP. This is just ways players are due to their personalities a lot of the time, and there's generally a lot more consumers of RP than there are creators. Creators of RP right now have to go through too much work in GTA:W to build anything that's not the lowest common denominator (a nightclub/bar that brings general crowds of people and serves as an illegal hangout in a pinch).

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Koko said:

In RP communities there has already been a clear difference between consumers of RP and creators of RP, with a kind of player in the middle I like to call facilitators of RP. This is just ways players are due to their personalities a lot of the time, and there's generally a lot more consumers of RP than there are creators. Creators of RP right now have to go through too much work in GTA:W to build anything that's not the lowest common denominator (a nightclub/bar that brings general crowds of people and serves as an illegal hangout in a pinch).

This is also true. RP is give and take and a lot of people prefer to take rather than give or because they don't have any incentive to create.

5 hours ago, Koko said:

Stealing those terms from you (creator/consumer/facilitator) 'cause it's a pretty good description, thanks o/

10 hours ago, Kari said:

"Womanizer" type male and female chars. Can't go to a bar and get a drink without at least 2 gangbangers and 1 car saleswoman with 13 vehicles and 3 houses trying to go for a round of ERP. 

Be standing there, car pulls up to you.

"Hey, GURL, need a ride?"

"No thanks. I'm where I need to be" (which should be obvious from the lack of movement)
"Fucking bitch." Drives off.

13 hours ago, Koko said:

Understand this sentiment fully but tbh I personally am a firm believer that we have the community we have in part through what the server has encouraged and promoted by the way it has been built. Say you have no interest in criminal RP and you don't want to be a cop or a firefighter. What RP is there for you to develop other than an endless Limbo of nightclubs and frivolous car purchases and having your dream Sims home?

I think that as a server we could have an actual productive conversation about it, because I genuinely believe that many of our current issues with "mallrats" stem from what GTA:W encourages. Mallrat behaviours are literally the product of the path of least resistance in civilian RP in a server where neighborhood RP and small businesses are simply too hard to develop.

I wasn't shitting on the jobs, tbf, mostly just the attitude. Meet at bar, have sex, be soulmates, cheat in a week. Just how it be sometimes, though.

8 hours ago, Kari said:

I wasn't shitting on the jobs, tbf, mostly just the attitude. Meet at bar, have sex, be soulmates, cheat in a week. Just how it be sometimes, though.

Attitudes are pretty much encouraged by the server, I wasn't talking about jobs either. Shallow world, shallow characters.

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, clubbing. While it is fun and all, I think it happens way too often and can be super repetitive and time consuming.

I see a lot of people spending their entire session dedicated to going to clubs. While there is some good roleplay that could happen inside of a club, it's always nice to shake things up a bit you know? On a different server, I used to be one of these people. All I would do is log in, hop a bunch of clubs and bars, then log out. I then realized I wasn't really roleplaying as I wanted to, just doing the same thing over and over and it got me burnt out.

Don't get me wrong. It's fine to roleplay the whole club scene, and I think it's very true to the setting of Los Santos that it would be a bustling scene. I just try my best to avoid it being the highlight of every session.

Characters with a pissy attitude towards everything for no other reason than just to be total assholes, mainly in the illegal sphere of roleplay. Our only solace is that they mostly get killed off easily after crossing too many people, you'd at least try to be indifferent before trying to make enemies of a person you don't know.

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic