What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

Mechanic RP needs to stop being a requirement. I don't see the fun in roleplaying with an inanimate object that can't respond to you at all, it's just an inconvenience for everyone else who may want to actually do meaningful roleplay instead of standing around waiting for someone to type out arbitrary lines. Furthermore, a lot of the "mechanic RP" can be done by an average Joe, with the exception of paint work and wraps. Literally anyone can take off a bumper and fit a new one, and any schoolchild can grab a laptop (or phone these days) and remap an ECU. Applying a spoiler is not a challenge either.

Makes no sense why simple things like changing a tire (something everyone should learn when they take their driving test) is locked behind a job wall. The whole mechanic RP thing is easy money and overrated. On a normal day, a mechanic can earn at least $30k from a few cars, and probably twice as much on a good day.

• Upvote 1
On 8/20/2021 at 3:53 PM, Aquila said:

Mechanic RP needs to stop being a requirement. I don't see the fun in roleplaying with an inanimate object that can't respond to you at all, it's just an inconvenience for everyone else who may want to actually do meaningful roleplay instead of standing around waiting for someone to type out arbitrary lines. Furthermore, a lot of the "mechanic RP" can be done by an average Joe, with the exception of paint work and wraps. Literally anyone can take off a bumper and fit a new one, and any schoolchild can grab a laptop (or phone these days) and remap an ECU. Applying a spoiler is not a challenge either.

Makes no sense why simple things like changing a tire (something everyone should learn when they take their driving test) is locked behind a job wall. The whole mechanic RP thing is easy money and overrated. On a normal day, a mechanic can earn at least $30k from a few cars, and probably twice as much on a good day.

If you remove mechanic roleplay then you would have to remove many other forms of roleplay that require you to "roleplay with an inanimate object that cant respond to you at all". Imagine if truckers didn't roleplay loading crates into a truck, or bartenders never took the time out to "type out arbitrary lines" in order to create your drink. I see what your saying in it not being meaningful roleplay, but you have to understand that this is what creates a more enjoyable and realistic server in the long run. (Everyone has their right to an opinion and I respect yours)

3 minutes ago, Tony Vincetti said:

If you remove mechanic roleplay then you would have to remove many other forms of roleplay that require you to "roleplay with an inanimate object that cant respond to you at all". Imagine if truckers didn't roleplay loading crates into a truck, or bartenders never took the time out to "type out arbitrary lines" in order to create your drink. I see what your saying in it not being meaningful roleplay, but you have to understand that this is what creates a more enjoyable and realistic server in the long run. (Everyone has their right to an opinion and I respect yours)

It’s also the issue how you go about things. You can opt to treat the mechanic job like a grind for money or you could decide to roleplay a mechanic and go for the experience and not treat fixing cars like factory work. Some of these mechanics pump out 4-5 lines and move to the next car like they’re being fed on a conveyor belt while wearing tactical gear for whatever reason. It’s hilarious, but if you don’t want to be a mechanic don’t be a mechanic. 

Just now, quezd said:

They can continue to do it. Just giving out my opinion. But mainly gang roleplay is overrated, just the same shit, all recycled.. nothing new about it. 

The scene stays the same, always will. Much like the fluctuating and inconsistent quality between different gangs. But that’s like saying police roleplay is overrated, or even all roleplay to be honest. At some point it’s not about having a unique gang, or niche scene. It comes down to personal experiences and stories. Sometimes being so broad is counterintuitive. But what do I know, I’ve been doing the same shit for years now. 

On 8/22/2021 at 9:28 AM, eTaylor said:

The scene stays the same, always will. Much like the fluctuating and inconsistent quality between different gangs. But that’s like saying police roleplay is overrated, or even all roleplay to be honest. At some point it’s not about having a unique gang, or niche scene. It comes down to personal experiences and stories. Sometimes being so broad is counterintuitive. But what do I know, I’ve been doing the same shit for years now. 

Brutha. When I say, I have alot of experience and almost roleplayed every scenario there is and engaged with other roleplayers. It gets to a point where it's just recycled roleplay. Almost insanity at that point, who wants to keep doing the same shit everyday? Just my opinion like I said. Shit needs to get changed or switched up a little bit.

On 8/22/2021 at 11:11 AM, Tony Vincetti said:

"Imagine if truckers didn't roleplay loading crates". This should be the goal for actual roleplay. Typing /me's is NOT good roleplay. It's a story-telling simulator. A fully fleshed out roleplay would have it scripted so you actually DO things instead of TYPING you do things.

If we wanted to optimize the trucking script instead of typing /me's, we should have boxes slow down truckers, different types of loading apparatus, and either drop off areas, or require another person to be there to take the goods when unloaded.

Same with bartending. If there was an indepth script that allowed people to mix drinks and serve it by hand, all without typing a /me, that would be optimal roleplay.

Typing /me's for unnecessary roleplay that can be scripted is old, out of date, and redundant. You aren't here to write a book. You're here to roleplay.

• Upvote 2
17 minutes ago, EliH said:

"Imagine if truckers didn't roleplay loading crates". This should be the goal for actual roleplay. Typing /me's is NOT good roleplay. It's a story-telling simulator. A fully fleshed out roleplay would have it scripted so you actually DO things instead of TYPING you do things.

If we wanted to optimize the trucking script instead of typing /me's, we should have boxes slow down truckers, different types of loading apparatus, and either drop off areas, or require another person to be there to take the goods when unloaded.

Same with bartending. If there was an indepth script that allowed people to mix drinks and serve it by hand, all without typing a /me, that would be optimal roleplay.

Typing /me's for unnecessary roleplay that can be scripted is old, out of date, and redundant. You aren't here to write a book. You're here to roleplay.

7 hours ago, EliH said:

rp.PNG

• Applaud 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic