What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

20 minutes ago, Koko said:

I personally think that emulating real-life criminal organizations/gangs is overdone. I would find it a lot more refreshing to have more gangs that were brought up organically and made up within the server than having another Wikipedia dump of facts about a real life set to try to justify entitlement to certain things.

A gang that's 100% made up forces you to build it from the ground up and give it a personal identity and makes every gain you make much more deserved, imho.

gangs aren't some summer time project a couple kids get together to do. this is a common misconception I see with people that haven't bothered to research anything about gangs/never done any gang rp. a gang isn't just "blah blah crip/blood/piru/13/etc". gangs have different histories, different cultures, different ways of coming to be. they've had historic conflicts that shaped who they are, they've had major events change up how they operate, what ethnicities they accept, etc. and this is not even mentioning how ludicrous it'd be for a gang to start up today, especially in a city with such a gang culture. if a gang is "brought up organically" it misses out on actual decades of history, flavor and development. 

this is such a minute and pedantic thing to bring up. why does it bother you what real life gang someone is portraying? even if you interact with them on a daily basis, which I highly doubt, why does what they're portraying affect you? do you go through the forum section and get angry when you see people portray real life gangs? you want them to do chamberlain hustlaz? davis gangstaz?

there are many things wrong with gta w but people attempting and actively trying to portray an accurate and realistic depiction of the gang culture of LA is by far not one of them.

Edited by Eastside.Shady
38 minutes ago, Eastside.Shady said:

gangs aren't some summer time project a couple kids get together to do. this is a common misconception I see with people that haven't bothered to research anything about gangs/never done any gang rp. a gang isn't just "blah blah crip/blood/piru/13/etc". gangs have different histories, different cultures, different ways of coming to be.

That's great, but none of that has happened in our universe, and people borderline powergame or metagame conflicts because of RL beef between gangs when they haven't even interacted with their in-game counterparts. I know fully well that gangs don't develop in a minute, but nothing is stopping you for RPing a clique that's not based off of a specific set from a particular street in L.A. You can make your own set by making up its own cohesive backstory, and you can make a lot of different things with the concept. That's my bad on the wording, when I mean "gang" I don't mean the larger national gangs like Crips, Bloods etc. as a whole, I'm more referring to emulating particular cliques and sets from real life LA.

Make up your history, your culture and your way of coming to be instead of dumping a bunch of Wikipedia articles on a thread.

this is such a minute and pedantic thing to bring up. why does it bother you what real life gang someone is portraying?

Never said it bothered me, said I consider it overplayed. We're nitpicking about our preferences in a Grand Theft Auto IV Heavy Roleplay Server. Anything we complain about is minute, but here we are, with 30+ pages worth of people complaining about Lesbians they can just ignore.

even if you interact with them on a daily basis, which I highly doubt, why does what they're portraying affect you? do you go through the forum section and get angry when you see people portray real life gangs? you want them to do chamberlain hustlaz? davis gangstaz?

Matter of fact I've spent most of my time on this server interacting with gangs on a daily basis and spending a good majority of my time around South Central. I don't get angry, I think you're feeling tremendously personally attacked by someone simply saying that they find the concept overplayed/overrated.

there are many things wrong with gta w but people attempting and actively trying to portray an accurate and realistic depiction of the gang culture of LA is by far not one of them.

Again, you continue to mistake me thinking it's overplayed with me thinking it's wrong. You can depict gang culture without needing to be a real life gang, or you can use a real life gang if you want, that's all good by me.

Edited by Koko
  • Upvote 6
On 5/24/2021 at 11:36 AM, DavideMac said:

Basic female characters who all have big boobs and big butts and they're super fit and just idk, apparently super hot girls, see them way too much that it breaks the immersion occasionally or is just LS a city of busty women? Reading some /ex is just so cringy sometimes

it doesnt break the immersion. its very on point in that regard.

real life cali is filled with fake tits, big ego and fake personalities

2 hours ago, Koko said:

Make up your history, your culture and your way of coming to be instead of dumping a bunch of Wikipedia articles on a thread.

Easier said than done. As someone who lead a fictional gang/set faction this year, making up your own culture and history is not as easy as it sounds on paper. Six months in we were still figuring out significant parts of the culture that other IRL gangs/sets have readily available. 

I don't blame people for taking cultures/history that exists IRL to use ingame because it is just the easiest way to do things, most of the time when people make fictional gangs/sets they think it's an opportunity to ignore IRL politics and LA gang history that every other faction follows; so I'd rather people only made fictional gangs if they were willing to put the effort in to build up pre-existing culture/history as well as the history they build through RP.  

Although, the whole '1:1 exact replica of IRL gangs' doesn't sit well with me either. I think people roleplaying IRL sets should still place IC history built over ingame interactions over IRL interactions, i.e. your gang may beef another gang IRL but there's no reason to escalate a beef immediately when you meet them ingame. By all means RP some tension but it shouldn't go any further than that. If a gang thats beefing a certain other set IRL is friendly with them IC, people shouldn't throw a fit if this was all done through IC means, we're here to roleplay situations not to roleplay the aftermath of IRL situations.

1 minute ago, EffPee said:

I don't blame people for taking cultures/history that exists IRL to use ingame because it is just the easiest way to do things, most of the time when people make fictional gangs/sets they think it's an opportunity to ignore IRL politics and LA gang history that every other faction follows; so I'd rather people only made fictional gangs if they were willing to put the effort in to build up pre-existing culture/history as well as the history they build through RP.  

Want to make it clear that I also don't blame people for taking existing cultures and history. Some people do it for convenience, some people because it's a particular concept they're interested in specifically, whichever the case. Just don't want to give the wrong idea that I think it's invalid RP because that's not the case. People can RP whatever they want as long as they're not breaking rules.

But yeah, agreed, I think fictional gangs are harder to build but it'd also be a great showcase of writing ability and imagination when it's done right.

49 minutes ago, EffPee said:

Easier said than done. As someone who lead a fictional gang/set faction this year, making up your own culture and history is not as easy as it sounds on paper. Six months in we were still figuring out significant parts of the culture that other IRL gangs/sets have readily available. 

That's the beauty of it for me. Like if your history actually occurred in game and it was used to form who your characters / group are carries a lot of weight. It's also great development. Even you saying that you're still figuring it out 6 months later is proof of just how good for a character arc it can be when you actually develop and change your character/group to combat IC interactions. Being a static entity that never changes opinions or attitudes gets very boring very quickly and this prevents that

Edited by Sush
  • Wuhtah locked this topic