What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

1 minute ago, DLimit said:

You're arguing that people create Lesbians since they get harassed by men, every day. Yet, most women, in the real world, don't become lesbians simply for being harassed in the city. That's a minority of women.

Being harassed is a part of the experience of being a woman. It doesn't make sense to create a lesbian character to evade being harassed, as they'll be harassed, any way, for being a woman.

No I wasn't.  There was a subtlety in the language I used.  If necessary, read it as "A way to reduce perceived lesbianism..."  If the male characters aren't bothering women, they won't know that they're lesbians, so perceived lesbianism is reduced.

15 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Most women don't become Lesbians simply because they are cat-called and harassed, daily, though. People should accept the consequences and realism rather than creating a Lesbian to simply evade harassment... even then, lesbians will get harassed for simply being a woman, any way... thus, this shouldn't be the reason to create a lesbian character.

It's more of a fact that certain people treat the game like it's Second Life and only log IG to ERP and realism is out the roof there too. You got people sending eachother nudes on first contact or trans characters sliding into your DMs asking if you ever been with one, which clearly speaks a lot because most sane women would likely report people sending them nudes out of the blue despite having no previous interaction.

Just now, jcat said:

No I wasn't.  There was a subtlety in the language I used.  If necessary, read it as "A way to reduce perceived lesbianism..."  If the male characters aren't bothering women, they won't know that they're lesbians, so perceived lesbianism is reduced.

This is true honestly, even irl there are lot more people, than public is aware of. Thing is most of them never talk about that.

5 minutes ago, DLimit said:

You're arguing that people create Lesbians since they get harassed by men, every day. Yet, most women, in the real world, don't become lesbians simply for being harassed in the city. That's a minority of women.

Being harassed is a part of the experience of being a woman. It doesn't make sense to create a lesbian character to evade being harassed, as they'll be harassed, any way, for being a woman.

Beg to differ:

Not every character is created with a default and static sexual orientation.

"He treated me bad and then I met a nicer woman" is a story you can regularly hear ic, if you bother to listen that is.

Does this fit another cliché of the not-actually-convinced-lesbian? No question.

However abstaining from men and hoping a woman might be more understanding, caring, interested in hard bdsm sex or whatever it is that did not work out, is in my eyes a rather legit reaction to an environment that can be overexaggerating the harassment same as anything else.

4 minutes ago, knppel said:

Beg to differ:

Not every character is created with a default and static sexual orientation.

"He treated me bad and then I met a nicer woman" is a story you can regularly hear ic, if you bother to listen that is.

Does this fit another cliché of the not-actually-convinced-lesbian? No question.

However abstaining from men and hoping a woman might be more understanding, caring, interested in hard bdsm sex or whatever it is that did not work out, is in my eyes a rather legit reaction to an environment that can be overexaggerating the harassment same as anything else.

Like I said, that's a minority of women. Yet, the lesbian to heterosexual ratio of women on this server is unrealistic. Are there a large amount of lesbians in L.S./L.A. in the real world? Yes. However, there aren't more lesbians than straight women, and straight women seem very underplayed, at this moment.

How Many People are Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender? – Williams Institute (ucla.edu)

3.2%, in L.A., self-identify as "LGTBQ". It'd be a great idea to TRY to reflect those numbers. Why DOES everybody want to R.P. a Lesbian so badly?

Edited by DLimit
2 minutes ago, Engelbert said:

This is true honestly, even irl there are lot more people, than public is aware of. Thing is most of them never talk about that.

Thanks @Englebert.  The male characters who are trying to pick up the female characters pretty much force them to reveal their orientation to explain their disinterest in the male characters.  If the male characters didn't push it so far, they wouldn't have to know the women they interact with are lesbians. 

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, DLimit said:

...straight women seem very underplayed, at this moment.

Be the change you want to see.  Make some straight female characters and get some good rp going with male characters who are looking to socialize.

• Wuhtah locked this topic