What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

1 minute ago, Smilesville said:

I forgot that everyone in real life is completely normal and well adjusted. How silly of me.

Better that than a 13 year old banger with ice running through his veins perpetrating war crimes with zero emotional response except "ayo this shit crazy dawg" and hallucinating his dead homies if you ask me.

if not everyone is completely normal and well adjusted irl, whats wrong with a looney gang banger? ur logic contradicts itself

i for one think both those ptsd-riddled 10 year olds (which are a rarity in the criminal rp scene btw, not the norm) and the sex obsessed anime freaks have no place on a roleplay server, where real life is portrayed. most civilian characters barely reflect what civilian life irl is like. i blame that on a) because of covid people just forgot what social interaction was like, or b) they legit never had any of it before, if u think thats realistic and common

Just now, Sidar said:

if not everyone is completely normal and well adjusted irl, whats wrong with a looney gang banger? ur logic contradicts itself

i for one think both those ptsd-riddled 10 year olds (which are a rarity in the criminal rp scene btw, not the norm) and the sex obsessed anime freaks have no place on a roleplay server, where real life is portrayed. most civilian characters barely reflect what civilian life irl is like. i blame that on a) because of covid people just forgot what social interaction was like, or b) they legit never had any of it before, if u think thats realistic and common

I'm not the one claiming we should regulate these things - that's your logic, not mine.

Forget the age of the character - you can't earnestly claim that the illegal scene's characters are any more realistic than the civilian. The only difference is that one subgroup of people generally leaves other people alone. We don't have an epidemic of civilians robbing and/or shooting each other and the rest of the playerbase, in other words.

If we want to talk about sex obsession, let's talk about how laissez-faire the illegal community has been about sexualizing the minors in their factions (and posting it to their faction threads, no less.) If we want to talk about 'real life' portrayal, let's talk about how Los Santos has several times the murder rate of the most dangerous nations in the world combined.

Time to face the music. There's nothing remotely realistic about the server - by design.

There's a hard balance between realism and fun and finding that sweet spot between them varies from person to person. I say let people do their thing, the only real problem I have is with peoples zero knowledge of how to drive a car and respond to other drivers on the road. That shit legit pisses me off and the only bad experiance I've had so far on the server is related to people non realistically racing around from point A to point B.

2 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I'm not the one claiming we should regulate these things - that's your logic, not mine.

Forget the age of the character - you can't earnestly claim that the illegal scene's characters are any more realistic than the civilian. The only difference is that one subgroup of people generally leaves other people alone. We don't have an epidemic of civilians robbing and/or shooting each other and the rest of the playerbase, in other words.

If we want to talk about sex obsession, let's talk about how laissez-faire the illegal community has been about sexualizing the minors in their factions (and posting it to their faction threads, no less.) If we want to talk about 'real life' portrayal, let's talk about how Los Santos has several times the murder rate of the most dangerous nations in the world combined.

Time to face the music. There's nothing remotely realistic about the server - by design.

im saying we should regulate both, you're saying a freaky weirdo civilian char is acceptable when an illegal char just as stupid is not acceptable. thats what i meant when i said ur logic is contradictory.

illegal rp has always been a constant dynamic of roleplay servers. we dont have an epidemic of illegal rpers robbing and/or shooting each other. its stupid to call it an epidemic because that is the basis of that rp scene. we are roleplaying in one of the crime capitals of the united states. u cant unironically throw false statistics around and treat los santos as if it was an irl city, with everything happening in real time. it has a high murder rate (which isnt really THAT high. i rp an leo and we get like 3-4 shots fired calls a day, max 8-9 if its a VERY busy day. los angeles has way more than that) because time ic is not how it is irl. we often time-skip and get to the interesting parts, which often include conflict as most works of fiction and entertainment do, and conflict in gangland often results in weapons being discharged, hence the "high" frequency of shootouts.

the pedos u mentioned are actively shunned by the illegal community. they are also a rarity, and once outed, they are actively barred by illegal rpers. they do not reflect the illegal rp community one bit.

i agree when u say theres not much realistic about the server right now, because the overall rp quality is quite bad, both legal and illegal. legal rpers mostly exist solely to erp each other and illegal rpers often lack character depth. efforts to fix this, and criticism towards this is often thrown aside by both sides. legal rpers say "oh boo hoo i got robbed!!!!!! boo hoo my pf gun was lost, and i couldnt erp this hot lesbian chick!!! fuck illegal rp!!!! they are all pedos!!!!!" and illegal rpers say "oh boo hoo i couldnt dm someone tonight, boo hoo my gang couldnt sell this many drugs this week". both sides are mad stupid and barely contribute to the overall rp quality of the server

• Upvote 3
On 6/5/2021 at 3:14 PM, Sumnik said:

Racer RP. Generic 20s something (usually) white female/male with a generic sports car. No proper character development. Nothing. Just "racing" and "car RP". This is incredibly boring and overplayed. Add to the fact that 90% of these people all look, dress the same and all work as mechanics is just boring as fuuuck. I'm a car enthusiast irl, I love my car and cars in general. It's just unrealistic.

Eastern European chad thundercock mega-alpha male. Always dressed as if he just came out of the 90s. Will fight you over anything. Crime is all he knows about, character development is a completely absent. Came to the US yesterday, joins a mafia the day after. Day three he's already selling drugs and weaponry. It's cringe as fuck. I'm a Slav irl and most of our people move out to work and be good citizens with some black work on the side.

Lesbian females. We get it, you're a dude irl and you've never touched a woman in your life.

Soulless hood gangsta with the hood seeping OOC. Always 16 - 20ish years old. The ultimate gangster, is a shotcaller, heartless killer but also a poor suffering minority. Will do any terrible crime in an instant, without any feelings beyond "aye bruh this shyt is fucked homie". The creme de la creme is the cringe when their shitty grammar and gangster-speak seeps into the forums and OOC. They start speaking like African-Americans from the hood on the forums, OOC etc. It's so fucking cringy.

Robocop. No background, no goals, no development, no feelings, no nothing. Just patrol, arrest, shoot and stare into the unknown.

Hillbilly/White Trash in the county. We get it, your only knowledge of the American countryside is movies, series and stereotypes. You cannot roleplay a normal fucking person who lives on the countryside if a gun was held to your head.

This is why my playtime compared to the previous years is now at about 20% of what it used to be. I get it that people deserve a “safeheaven” to let their fragile side materialize into a character but it puts me off too much. All those points are valid.

1 hour ago, Sidar said:

im saying we should regulate both, you're saying a freaky weirdo civilian char is acceptable when an illegal char just as stupid is not acceptable. thats what i meant when i said ur logic is contradictory.

Point out a statistically significant number of 13 year old bangers with ice running through their veins and maybe your argument will make sense - because if you want me to point out an example of a weirdo anime nerd, they're usually kind enough to gather in one place for conventions every year. And they number in the millions.

1 hour ago, Sidar said:

illegal rp has always been a constant dynamic of roleplay servers. we dont have an epidemic of illegal rpers robbing and/or shooting each other. its stupid to call it an epidemic because that is the basis of that rp scene. we are roleplaying in one of the crime capitals of the united states. u cant unironically throw false statistics around and treat los santos as if it was an irl city, with everything happening in real time. it has a high murder rate (which isnt really THAT high. i rp an leo and we get like 3-4 shots fired calls a day, max 8-9 if its a VERY busy day. los angeles has way more than that) because time ic is not how it is irl. we often time-skip and get to the interesting parts, which often include conflict as most works of fiction and entertainment do, and conflict in gangland often results in weapons being discharged, hence the "high" frequency of shootouts.

Are you challenging the statistic that the murder rate in Los Santos is many times higher than any known country? Because I can show you the math - and my math is very generous in the server's favor. The short of it is that Los Santos has a murder rate in excess of 350 murders per 100,000 per year. For reference, Tijuana has 134, and that's the deadliest city we have statistics for in the real world. To claim we don't have that many murders is asinine.

Your anecdotal claims only highlight the failures of the LSPD. The murder clearance rate (the rate at which murderers are arrested) is about 40-50% in the real world, with variances by city. Chicago's is 26%. You cannot seriously claim the server's is anywhere near that number.

There's more to roleplay than robberies and gunfights. Sounds like someone's been mired in the illegal community for far too long, if those are the only interesting parts to you. 90% of the life of a realistic criminal is indistinguishable from a civilian - but you wouldn't know that looking at the server and the way criminals are portrayed.

If we're going to regulate how weird a character can be, we're going to regulate the amount of crime a ganger is going to engage in. Imagine a server in which you're only allowed to initiate one gunfight per month. Is that a server you'd like to be a part of?

1 hour ago, Sidar said:

i agree when u say theres not much realistic about the server right now, because the overall rp quality is quite bad, both legal and illegal. legal rpers mostly exist solely to erp each other and illegal rpers often lack character depth. efforts to fix this, and criticism towards this is often thrown aside by both sides. legal rpers say "oh boo hoo i got robbed!!!!!! boo hoo my pf gun was lost, and i couldnt erp this hot lesbian chick!!! fuck illegal rp!!!! they are all pedos!!!!!" and illegal rpers say "oh boo hoo i couldnt dm someone tonight, boo hoo my gang couldnt sell this many drugs this week". both sides are mad stupid and barely contribute to the overall rp quality of the server

A bit ironic that you're tossing aside criticism in your post criticizing the tossing aside of criticism, isn't it? I don't see many solutions to the problems you articulate, either - and no, "punish people who do things I dislike" is not a solution. It's easy to fantasize about how you would change the server if you were Nervous for a day, but actually building a fair and sustainable framework is something else entirely.

I've proposed new systems to encourage higher quality interactions across all styles of play. Have you?

• Applaud 1
16 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Personally I find the system you’ve proposed in a ‘rating system’ won’t fix issues because players with a poor attitude or roleplay standard are still on the server, you're only separating them with a meaningless number rating which not only can be biased depending on an admins feeling of you, but would create a serious amount of extra work for admins to watch and recommend someone for ‘level 2 player’.

Just my take man 

16 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Point out a statistically significant number of 13 year old bangers with ice running through their veins and maybe your argument will make sense - because if you want me to point out an example of a weirdo anime nerd, they're usually kind enough to gather in one place for conventions every year. And they number in the millions.

Are you challenging the statistic that the murder rate in Los Santos is many times higher than any known country? Because I can show you the math - and my math is very generous in the server's favor. The short of it is that Los Santos has a murder rate in excess of 350 murders per 100,000 per year. For reference, Tijuana has 134, and that's the deadliest city we have statistics for in the real world. To claim we don't have that many murders is asinine.

Your anecdotal claims only highlight the failures of the LSPD. The murder clearance rate (the rate at which murderers are arrested) is about 40-50% in the real world, with variances by city. Chicago's is 26%. You cannot seriously claim the server's is anywhere near that number.

There's more to roleplay than robberies and gunfights. Sounds like someone's been mired in the illegal community for far too long, if those are the only interesting parts to you. 90% of the life of a realistic criminal is indistinguishable from a civilian - but you wouldn't know that looking at the server and the way criminals are portrayed.

If we're going to regulate how weird a character can be, we're going to regulate the amount of crime a ganger is going to engage in. Imagine a server in which you're only allowed to initiate one gunfight per month. Is that a server you'd like to be a part of?

A bit ironic that you're tossing aside criticism in your post criticizing the tossing aside of criticism, isn't it? I don't see many solutions to the problems you articulate, either - and no, "punish people who do things I dislike" is not a solution. It's easy to fantasize about how you would change the server if you were Nervous for a day, but actually building a fair and sustainable framework is something else entirely.

I've proposed new systems to encourage higher quality interactions across all styles of play. Have you?

Allow me to jump in here.

Treating the crime rate as an epidemic is problematic because it’s something you should come to expect on a Grand Theft Auto roleplay server. Now you’ll retort with “Go play GTA ONLINE” to which I’d respond with; a roleplay game based on a game with a primary audience of people wanting to play a game where they can shoot and kill people is going to breed avenues of roleplay that will result in people shooting and killing each other. Treating it as an epidemic doesn’t solve a problem, it only makes it an even bigger problem.

Your arguments regarding the ratio of freaky speccy little antisocial nerds who’s sole existence is to get off compared to unrealistically dead-hearted gangland youth seems inarguably biased; both are unacceptable and both should be regulated.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

Well this ego boost of a post didn't help anybody. Stuff like this is derailing these types of threads.

7 minutes ago, EffPee said:

Your arguments regarding the ratio of freaky speccy little antisocial nerds who’s sole existence is to get off compared to unrealistically dead-hearted gangland youth seems inarguably biased; both are unacceptable and both should be regulated.

I agree, I've never seen a faction leader say that any of that is acceptable. From every faction leader that I've seen trying to regulate an illegal faction they clearly don't condone or allow those types of characters, and it's not even a point of discussion because it's against the rules anyway.

• Wuhtah locked this topic