What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

9 hours ago, knppel said:

Apparently it has to be pointed out that "roleplaying" extreme homophobia or misogyny and acting as if the own character was commenting on telegram rather than be present physically is not particularly creative nor original

Most illegal-minded people, in real life, are homophobic, though... any person that has either BEEN to prison or is connected to people that have been to prison will more than likely be forced to be homophobic, as homophobia is a violation within prison to many criminal groups within the prison system. Even if your character wasn't homophobic, they'd have to display homophobia to prove that they aren't weak.

5 hours ago, Slamdance said:

For real. White Pride / PEN1 / whatever on LS-RP had the courtesy to boot OOC racists that played characters that were largely extensions of themselves on day one. It's about time we start extending that same courtesy to homophobes and misogynists.

I don't log on after work for some dipshit to assume that all female characters roleplaying together must be lesbians, that homosexuality is inherently wrong, and attempt to interrupt my roleplay because of that. At least make an attempt to mask your inceldom through more creative character development.

Doesn't have to be group of female characters together. I roleplay a heavily inked character, literally most of her body is clad in ink. That's okay, that is fine. As soon as I decide to cut her hair and make something short out of it, I am branded as dyke immediately after I exit the hairdresser.

What is this? 90s? 

5 hours ago, Slamdance said:

For real. White Pride / PEN1 / whatever on LS-RP had the courtesy to boot OOC racists that played characters that were largely extensions of themselves on day one. It's about time we start extending that same courtesy to homophobes and misogynists.

I don't log on after work for some dipshit to assume that all female characters roleplaying together must be lesbians, that homosexuality is inherently wrong, and attempt to interrupt my roleplay because of that. At least make an attempt to mask your inceldom through more creative character development.

Thought it's an ic problem unless u can prove that somebody is racist on an ooc ground ?

23 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Thought it's an ic problem unless u can prove that somebody is racist on an ooc ground ?

It is an IC problem if it's roleplayed well. Just like properly nuanced racist characters used to be, actual three-dimensional homophobes and misogynists are few and far between.

Passive aggressive /mes and /dos are also a huge red flag too. While I haven't witnessed it here, on other communities it's not uncommon to see "* John Smith watches the bitch leave" or some other pejorative term after their character's advances have been spurned.

I'd rather not derail the thread any further but I hope I've made it clear the difference between the projection of OOC hate and nuanced bigotry in character portrayal.

2 hours ago, Slamdance said:

It is an IC problem if it's roleplayed well. Just like properly nuanced racist characters used to be, actual three-dimensional homophobes and misogynists are few and far between.

Passive aggressive /mes and /dos are also a huge red flag too. While I haven't witnessed it here, on other communities it's not uncommon to see "* John Smith watches the bitch leave" or some other pejorative term after their character's advances have been spurned.

I'd rather not derail the thread any further but I hope I've made it clear the difference between the projection of OOC hate and nuanced bigotry in character portrayal.

You're right. I once witnessed a bartender do a /me about how much he hates Jews while pouring a drink. It was odd.

He was later banned for being a Nazi scumfuck. Coincidence? 🤨🧐

Either way, people should stop roleplaying as self inserts.

6 hours ago, DLimit said:

Most illegal-minded people, in real life, are homophobic, though... any person that has either BEEN to prison or is connected to people that have been to prison will more than likely be forced to be homophobic, as homophobia is a violation within prison to many criminal groups within the prison system. Even if your character wasn't homophobic, they'd have to display homophobia to prove that they aren't weak.

Definitely. Although sadly, I don't particularly believe that his fact is the reason that ic homophobia happens on this server, especially towards lesbian characters. I personally think that alot of the people who icly express disgust and hate towards lesbians are doing it for the simple reason that there's alot of ppl that rp lesbians on this server. My character for example, doesn't give a damn about lesbians. Most gang members IRL don't, there's even lesbian female gang members out there (Although on here, I will say that they're portrayed quite badly). On here though, for some reason it's completely normal for a gang member or even just a regular person to walk into a club and start harassing lesbians, or characters they think are lesbian, when irl that person not only would have better things to worry about than a couple girls who like carpet. (NTM that most men irl love lesbians 😂 they're literally always solid wingmen) but he'd also most likely get bashed and told to fuck off if what he was doing was bad enough.

9 hours ago, sio said:

You're right. I once witnessed a bartender do a /me about how much he hates Jews while pouring a drink. It was odd.

He was later banned for being a Nazi scumfuck. Coincidence? 🤨🧐

Either way, people should stop roleplaying as self inserts.

Insulting or using any offensive slang via /me is not allowed. 

8 hours ago, Garras Up said:

Definitely. Although sadly, I don't particularly believe that his fact is the reason that ic homophobia happens on this server, especially towards lesbian characters. I personally think that alot of the people who icly express disgust and hate towards lesbians are doing it for the simple reason that there's alot of ppl that rp lesbians on this server. My character for example, doesn't give a damn about lesbians. Most gang members IRL don't, there's even lesbian female gang members out there (Although on here, I will say that they're portrayed quite badly). On here though, for some reason it's completely normal for a gang member or even just a regular person to walk into a club and start harassing lesbians, or characters they think are lesbian, when irl that person not only would have better things to worry about than a couple girls who like carpet. (NTM that most men irl love lesbians 😂 they're literally always solid wingmen) but he'd also most likely get bashed and told to fuck off if what he was doing was bad enough.

No Escape: Male Rape in U.S. Prisons - Wikipedia

I don't really buy into this narrative of "everyone's homophobic in jail". Everyone acts homophobic in jail. No one wants to ever even be looked at as a homosexual, or they'll immediately be objectified; that doesn't mean they don't engage in homosexual activities in jail themselves.

I mean, guys stay in there for ages... what do you think they do, surrounded by dudes, for ages?

In that sense, I agree with this post. Homophobia on this server is always almost consistently demonstrated in a trollish fashion, where people just want to sound edgy out of boredom rather than interesting out of insight. Then again, you can't really be a homophobe without being an actual troll in the first place, unless if you're roleplaying a religious character.

Basic female characters who all have big boobs and big butts and they're super fit and just idk, apparently super hot girls, see them way too much that it breaks the immersion occasionally or is just LS a city of busty women? Reading some /ex is just so cringy sometimes

• Wuhtah locked this topic