What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

2 hours ago, TheSaintEaon said:

Even if that's only recorded, the idea that you jump from 1/10th of 1% to 50% is so unrealistic the claim is insane. 

Also like @knppel said, everything is too high. If we forced people to use real life stats we'd have less than 1 gangster. Only about 15 Military Vets. Probably less than 10 business owners. The setting couldn't function. 

Never claimed that it was 50%, but I'd argue that at least one in ten people are either affiliated or members of a gang within L.A. 

This includes the idea that old-time friends in elementary school became gang-members by high school. This includes childhood friends in the neighborhood. This includes co-workers and family members.

Edited by DLimit
1 hour ago, DLimit said:

Never claimed that it was 50%, but I'd argue that at least one in ten people are either affiliated or members of a gang within L.A. 

This includes the idea that old-time friends in elementary school became gang-members by high school. This includes childhood friends in the neighborhood. This includes co-workers and family members.

Even if you make that stretch, and it is a big stretch, one in ten is high. Again, 45,000 according to the LAPD in a city of 4 million. That's like one in a thousand. Also just because you knew someone at some point in your life who might have joined a gang does not mean you have "ties" to a gang. Ties imply some sort of bond, having known someone who did a thing at some point of your life. You also seem to have the idea that in LA everyone lives in the ghetto or in lower middle class neighborhoods. That's not the case. As bad as the South Side might be, there's still Hollywood and Beverly Hills in LA as well. Home to the ultra rich and some of the most famous colleges in America. 

The fact of the matter is for as famous as LA's gang problem has been made through pop culture and the rap industry, it exists within a town that is even more famous for its other industries.  By your logic if all it takes to be affiliated with something is to know of someone who was in the thing once, then by that logic, you must be a girl scout because you probably met one at some time. 

But that's enough of this, I don't think we're gonna change anyone's mind and we're derailing the topic at hand. 

Edited by TheSaintEaon
1 hour ago, TheSaintEaon said:

Even if you make that stretch, and it is a big stretch, one in ten is high. Again, 45,000 according to the LAPD in a city of 4 million. That's like one in a thousand.

the 45,000 estimate is from the early 1990's. The number is estimated by the LAPD to be above 200,000 nowadays.

Also just because you knew someone at some point in your life who might have joined a gang does not mean you have "ties" to a gang.

Shit it does if you're tight with that person and/or their homies.

You also seem to have the idea that in LA everyone lives in the ghetto or in lower middle class neighborhoods. That's not the case. As bad as the South Side might be, there's still Hollywood and Beverly Hills in LA as well.

Beverly Hills, sure. But Hollywood? Nah mate. There's over 45-50 gangs in the Hollywood area (North, East & West) alone and it's also home to two MS-13 offshoots, among other gangs such as Varrio Sur, White Fence, Rebels, TMC, I could go ahead and name so many more honestly. Adding to that, there's gangs all over LA, not just in the Southern portion of the city, that's just where they're most concentrated. There's gangs in Koreatown, Chinatown, Echo Park, Westlake, Pico Union, Hollywood, Venice Beach, everywhere.

To make it a little easier on you, the circled area is Hollywood in its entirety from the East all the way up North to the SFV (Which is still North Hollywood), as you can see, those areas aren't immune from their problems. Also noting that not all gangs that exist in LA County are on this map, so unmarked areas don't particularly mean gang free areas.

unknown.png

Keeping in mind that each of the gangs whose territories i've circled in the Hollywood area alone have from 50 up to several hundred members, i'm sure it wouldn't be a stretch to say that gang affiliates are much more than a minority in LA.

Home to the ultra rich and some of the most famous colleges in America. 

What if I told u that that famous college is right smack bang in the middle of gang territory? And as far as the rich and famous of Los Angeles go, they tend to stay in the Hills where all the mansions are and very rarely venture away from them

The fact of the matter is for as famous as LA's gang problem has been made through pop culture and the rap industry, it exists within a town that is even more famous for its other industries. 

As famous as the other industries are, that doesn't take away from how real gang culture is in Los Angeles and exactly how many people are actually involved in it. 

By your logic if all it takes to be affiliated with something is to know of someone who was in the thing once, then by that logic, you must be a girl scout because you probably met one at some time. 

I personally fail to see what this has to do with anything, but alright bro.

I'm gonna stop responding though, as this argument is pointless.

Edited by Garras Up
On 5/11/2021 at 6:22 PM, Lazarat said:

Lesbians are overrated as fuck.. If you go inside a club and shout fuck lesbians you will see 80% of the playerbase slide out their ak47 and ck you

If you go into a club in real life and shout "fuck lesbians" you will be ostracized and kicked out for being a fucking weirdo as well.

• Upvote 2
1 hour ago, sio said:

lol @ the people complaining that "gang members" don't intentionally miss their shots, I doubt any of you would extend the same courtesy to a "gang member" were you to get into a gunfight with them. Everyone shoots to kill on this server. Blame the way gunplay works on GTA5.

This. Holy shit the "you have to miss on purpose!!!" argument is so dumb. 

1 hour ago, sio said:

If you go into a club in real life and shout "fuck lesbians" you will be ostracized and kicked out for being a fucking weirdo as well.

Apparently it has to be pointed out that "roleplaying" extreme homophobia or misogyny and acting as if the own character was commenting on telegram rather than be present physically is not particularly creative nor original

• Upvote 3
4 hours ago, knppel said:

Apparently it has to be pointed out that "roleplaying" extreme homophobia or misogyny and acting as if the own character was commenting on telegram rather than be present physically is not particularly creative nor original

For real. White Pride / PEN1 / whatever on LS-RP had the courtesy to boot OOC racists that played characters that were largely extensions of themselves on day one. It's about time we start extending that same courtesy to homophobes and misogynists.

I don't log on after work for some dipshit to assume that all female characters roleplaying together must be lesbians, that homosexuality is inherently wrong, and attempt to interrupt my roleplay because of that. At least make an attempt to mask your inceldom through more creative character development.

• Upvote 3
  • Wuhtah locked this topic