What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

5 minutes ago, DLimit said:

Los Santos is it's own city, but it's THEME is based on Los Angeles, which is why factions are denied if they don't follow with the continuity of the "west-coast". Regardless as to whether it is illegal or legal, California has been known for it's massive weed consumption. Regardless as to whether it's Los Santos or Los Angeles, both cities have a high level of weed consumption.

I've known real-life teachers that were addicted to cocaine, real-life police officers that would steal marijuana for their own personal consumption (back when it was illegal), and real-life professors that are addicted to opiates.

This whole "I'm legal so I don't smoke weed" is very unrealistic, for most characters, especially in Los Santos, which it's theme revolves around Los Angeles.

Go say that to the admins if you don't think Los Santos is themed around Los Angeles...

I still think the amount of people that smoke Marijane in LA is still a minority compared to people who don't don't smoke.

So roleplaying not doing drugs because they don't want to break the law or want to do drugs is quite realistic. 

20 minutes ago, Ryoichi said:

I still think the amount of people that smoke Marijane in LA is still a minority compared to people who don't don't smoke.

So roleplaying not doing drugs because they don't want to break the law or want to do drugs is quite realistic. 

It's still the highest in the U.S., and should be taken into consideration. People don't get shamed for consuming marijuana, in public, in California, regardless of legalization... California has a strong marijuana culture, even homosexual culture, which is why the state shouldn't be compared to regions like N.Y., even:

EDIT: But, if you want to argue that this is Los Santos instead of Los Angeles? Well, that doesn't help your case, as every one smokes marijuana in Los Santos... look at how Los Santos is portrayed in GTA.

FLPX8OL.png

Edited by DLimit
29 minutes ago, DLimit said:

This whole "I'm legal so I don't smoke weed" is very unrealistic, for most characters, especially in Los Santos, which it's theme revolves around Los Angeles.

I just haven't run into this much at all, which goes to show how different people's experiences on GTAW can be. A rare character here and there with a prejudice against weed, sure, but those exist even in California. Otherwise, all my characters smoke weed, and pretty much most people they hang with or chill either smoke weed too or are cool with people smoking weed AFAIK. Have smoked weed with deputies and cops, or in front of them at the very least, even. I haven't encountered the "legal = no weed" mindset much, thankfully.

• Upvote 1
On 5/10/2021 at 11:01 AM, Akali said:

I feel like the most overrated roleplay that's not only overplayed, but saturating the market right now is white people.

Somehow everyone immigrated from Leeds, London, Paris, Berlin, Essex or Dublin (You know who I'm talking about...) to go to Los Santos to start a successful career as a stripper/guard/trucker/taxi driver. And I'm not just naming the jobs that they can do, it's the jobs they all actually do. You'll always find someone who's somehow a jack of all trades and knows how to fix a car, tend a bar and practice law without any typical background or depth to how they came to learn those trades.

If you go to a bar, the usual ethnicities are: White (65%) Asian (30%) Black (2.5%) Hispanic (5%). These percentages can shift depending on the bar and the area where the bar is, but White is usually the strong majority in these cases.

Perfect characters and Mary Sues/Gary Sues are also a problem. They name specific measurements for body parts (Erotic and non Erotic) of course which I can understand, but I don't really need to read how jiggly a girl's ass is. They have no blemishes on their face, lovely soft skin, shiny brown hair... whatever happened to a person's imperfections? At the end of the day, you're playing a character not a Second Life sex object. 

I've had it a few times on my Middle-Eastern woman that she's been privately speaking Arabic to someone and then out of nowhere, a plain Jane white girl rocks up with the blonde hair, 18 years old and is somehow able to converse in Arabic... Then they disappear, go sit down with their friend and start doing sign language.

It's becoming more and more common that if something is said in a foreign language that is directly talking about somebody else's character, somehow they metagame the information and they're suddenly able to speak the language.

All in all - just be original (<--- Here's a good example) .  Don't be too unique but be unique enough for the person who's roleplaying with you to know that you're playing an individual, not an emotionless superhero with a God complex.

To address the first part I do have an concept of a character coming from Ireland but his parents decided to move to America with him and his brother at a young age because they felt that America was the land of opportunity. The parents made the decision to move to Los Santos NOT HIM. He's also an illegal character but not completely due to some other factors. Sorry if I sound defensive. I can understand where you're coming from with the post.

To address the second point, yeah Mary/Garry Sues are hella annoying but I guess people are afraid to roleplay flaws due to the fear of situations not ending in their favor. It just confirms that there is no personality behind the character. Also the language part gets on my nerves. I could have a Portuguese character talking shit about someone else's character that isn't supposed to know their language but somehow they walk up to my character and ask in Portuguese "What did you say about me?" It's honestly immersion breaking unless they can tell I was shit talking them through social cues and body languages.

But yeah, I agree with a lot of stuff you said in the post.

• Applaud 1

The standard gang member roleplay where the character's father either died, left, or was never heard of and that was their reason for gang banging.

The character who somehow never went outside and as soon as they go outside and start hanging out they become a product of their environment and starts gang banging.

• Wuhtah locked this topic