What kind of roleplay is overplayed/overrated?

18 hours ago, DLimit said:

The topic is "what is overplayed" not "what should we ban". Asians are overplayed, and the fact remains the same.

As someone who's been mainly roleplaying Asian characters, first and up to third generations, there's really not that much Asian characters in comparison to other ethnicities despite the fact Los Angeles has a good margin of them. I don't think the topic is about what ethnicity someone roleplays as, but more like what kind of roleplay they do with that character.

7 hours ago, AlphaBatal said:

characters that speak 2+ languages. ++ if its asl despite them being euro expats that still talk in their ethnicity's most insulting, stereotypical accent

I can forgive two languages being common assuming it's English and Spanish. To a lesser extent French or German depending on the character's family background. But yes, American born and raised characters should be the most common.

Edited by Dawn
4 minutes ago, Dawn said:

I can forgive two languages being common assuming it's English and Spanish. To a lesser extent French or German depending on the character's family background. But yes, American born and raised characters should be the most common.

you'd be surprised at the amount of polyglotism on the server. and the amount of people capable of sign language lol.

Just now, AlphaBatal said:

you'd be surprised at the amount of polyglotism on the server. and the amount of people capable of sign language lol.

Oh no, I'm more than aware. My post being what should be acceptable and makes sense for us portraying modern day California.

3 minutes ago, AlphaBatal said:

Tbf it's very easy to make a background of your character which allows you to speak several languages ( In my OOC case, I've been jumping from country to country since I was a little kid, and I can speak 4 languages fluently now ) but I do agree that most of these characters that speak +2 languages don't define how they've learned those languages at all and just roll with it, "I learned it bro." People focus too much on giving their character a mechanic background so they can work in a mechanic shop and buy a classic cheetah rather than giving their background personal elements like an unstable residence which caused them to move countries regularly and learn new languages.

2 hours ago, bonk said:

I dunno man you tried bringing statistics into it so I did the same. I don’t think they’re that overplayed. Sure some people role play Asians to cringy extents but then that’s another issue.

The R.P. in K-Town is solid, same with Chinatown. Just still find that there's too many Asians, in general. Something's wrong when I see more Asians and Eastern-Europeans than Hispanics.

Edited by DLimit

I feel like the most overrated roleplay that's not only overplayed, but saturating the market right now is white people.

Somehow everyone immigrated from Leeds, London, Paris, Berlin, Essex or Dublin (You know who I'm talking about...) to go to Los Santos to start a successful career as a stripper/guard/trucker/taxi driver. And I'm not just naming the jobs that they can do, it's the jobs they all actually do. You'll always find someone who's somehow a jack of all trades and knows how to fix a car, tend a bar and practice law without any typical background or depth to how they came to learn those trades.

If you go to a bar, the usual ethnicities are: White (65%) Asian (30%) Black (2.5%) Hispanic (5%). These percentages can shift depending on the bar and the area where the bar is, but White is usually the strong majority in these cases.

Perfect characters and Mary Sues/Gary Sues are also a problem. They name specific measurements for body parts (Erotic and non Erotic) of course which I can understand, but I don't really need to read how jiggly a girl's ass is. They have no blemishes on their face, lovely soft skin, shiny brown hair... whatever happened to a person's imperfections? At the end of the day, you're playing a character not a Second Life sex object. 

I've had it a few times on my Middle-Eastern woman that she's been privately speaking Arabic to someone and then out of nowhere, a plain Jane white girl rocks up with the blonde hair, 18 years old and is somehow able to converse in Arabic... Then they disappear, go sit down with their friend and start doing sign language.

It's becoming more and more common that if something is said in a foreign language that is directly talking about somebody else's character, somehow they metagame the information and they're suddenly able to speak the language.

All in all - just be original (<--- Here's a good example) .  Don't be too unique but be unique enough for the person who's roleplaying with you to know that you're playing an individual, not an emotionless superhero with a God complex.

Edited by Akali
  • Thanks 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic