Remove the nametags! "Who are you?"

Perfectum

In the current system, we have a nametag with their characters name on it above your head. I don't think that's the best system.

I would like to see the nametags removed and  just see their (ID) above their head instead.

In order to change the name of the person. You have to do /alias #ID <SETNAME.

So let's say I walk up to a person and he tells me his name is Charles. I do /alias 2 Charles and I'll see him as Charles (ID) next time I see him. I have no idea if that's his real name.

For all we know his name can be Howard. This system prevents metagaming and gives it the extra addition of having to introduce yourself to people.

If a player is masked you simply see a MASKED_NUMBER and then it doesn't matter if you did /alias 2 becuase the MASKED_NUMBER will display anyway.

Edited by Perfectum
  • Applaud 1

While I do get your point behind the suggestion, a a lot of people's characters look very similar making identifying them by looks alone almost impossible.

The name tag helps in that regard indeed, with GTAW 1.0 we changed how health bar works in response to a similar suggestion, but the name is really needed.

It wouldn't make sense to approach your friend irl and ask them "Who are you?" you'd recognize them right away, thus, name tags.

Although I do not have an opinion on the matter; could one not use /alias to then stay introduced to that person. Meaning you would see their name tag forever. Which would remove this aspect at least.

1 hour ago, JoeWarner said:

It wouldn't make sense to approach your friend irl and ask them "Who are you?" you'd recognize them right away, thus, name tags.

7 hours ago, JoeWarner said:

While I do get your point behind the suggestion, a a lot of people's characters look very similar making identifying them by looks alone almost impossible.

The name tag helps in that regard indeed, with GTAW 1.0 we changed how health bar works in response to a similar suggestion, but the name is really needed.

That's why you can do /alias ID Name of your freiend. So this won't be a issue. I seen this on a different server before and I really liked it. That way when you meet someone that likes to call themselves Lil Casper. You don't know his name other then Lil Casper and next time you meet him. That's will be the name that you'll see. 

Edited by Perfectum

Think I saw the same system on ECRP. I kinda agree with the alias system, but I'm somewhat on the fence if I'm being honest.

Some people go by aliases that are different from their in-game name, so an alias system would work in that regard. However, someone on a SAMP community suggested something that may work here. The suggestion was something simple like Person A would use a /greet command on Person B, and with Person B's OOC permission/confirmation, Person A can see Person B's character name after they got acquainted.

I personally want some kind of system implemented, because there are times when I forget whether I know a person IC at all.

Edited by Aquila
  • Upvote 1

I agree & support.

Names should remain in context.

If you get damaged, you should be informed of who damaged you if you care to make a report.   Happily enough there isn’t a lot of reporting that goes on in this community as of lately but we shouldn’t let our guard down.

-  Keep names in the context.

-  Allow a damage log.

-  Don’t be afraid to try new things.

+1 support.

Edited by Cici
  • Upvote 1