How do you RP the economy?

Busch

First time posting, I know-

But I have another suggestion to this big dilema of money being OOC but at the same time IC: Why not simply reduce the general income, paychecks and the starting money down to a more generally realistic amount, and at the same time, consider the money and assets everyone have completely IC from that point on?

The problem I see is that people earn far too much money for low end jobs, and that creates a situation where a grocery store clerk will have the bank account equal the owner of the said store. On one hand, the person roleplaying the clerk legitimately earned that money, and it should be considered IC for them to have it and spend on the assets they want. On the other hand, it makes almost no sense for the same said clerk to realistically have that much money in the end of the day.

It creates a weird situation where something is both true and false at the same time.

If the general paycheck and salaries were just overall reduced to something more realistic that would reflect the nature of the job, we wouldn't have the problem of people OOCly owning more money than they do IClly, since they actually earned that money IClly. 

I know, this is basically turning the grinding that everybody hates into something IC, but that's better than ignoring that if someone wants to grind, they will anyway.

The mechanics aren't an issue, it's the portrayal that's an issue. If people portrayed their characters, properly, then this wouldn't be an issue. Report those that poorly portray their characters. Easy as that.

I can R.P. as homeless with 10 million dollars in the bank, easily. Just simply ignore the box on the top-right corner.

• Applaud 1
6 hours ago, Mecovy said:

layer A, joins the server, he does some development of his character and as his story progresses

Except this development is nonsensical because why would a neurosurgeon work in some coffee shop to grind his money that he needs to portray the neurosurgeon?

It's just empty roleplay that makes no sense for the character I want to play.

2 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

Except this development is nonsensical because why would a neurosurgeon work in some coffee shop to grind his money that he needs to portray the neurosurgeon?

It's just empty roleplay that makes no sense for the character I want to play.

I fail to see how roleplaying a Neurosurgeon requires starting cash?

Especially since as the Director of the hospital, we are working on hiring those. And if it comes to starting a practice, I don't see how a neurosurgeon would themselves have a private practice. Those kinds of professions tend to be focuses in Hospitals and Private Hospitals.

Just now, arandomgamer said:

A neurosurgeon wouldn't be driving a crappy Rebla or living in some generic apartment

No that's a stereotype not a given thing. Just because someone earns a high salary, doesn't mean they automatically have fine ass cars and huge ass houses. You can also lease vehicles from property management for a cheap monthly sum, most of those with finer cars tend to do that.

9 minutes ago, Mecovy said:

You can also lease vehicles from property management for a cheap monthly sum, most of those with finer cars tend to do that.

Only after 40 hours of playtime. Can't really RP anything realistic from the get-go unless you're doing a zero to hero / rags to riches story. If I want to RP an already successful businessman/woman in my 40's-50's who would realistically already have money in the bank, I can't do that. I'm not talking about mommy and daddy's money successful, I mean properly portraying someone who's not just starting out in life in their 20's. Maybe that includes a semi-nice car, maybe it doesn't. Fact of the matter is the time at which the money is received is not the issue. It's the portrayal of the character after the fact. Time doesn't do anything but delay what people are planning on doing anyways once they've received that money either after 40 hours or grinding it out via other methods.

Edited by Sixty
Just now, arandomgamer said:

Stereotypes exist for a reason.

That's news to me. And what about a house? A meh  apartment in Hawick goes for 120K and up. 

You can lease houses, businesses, vehicles, as well as requesting garages and etc. The rich get richer and maintaining their wealth by often keeping their expenses low, or well budgeted. Sports cars are the exact opposite of that. Especially given insurance premiums, crashes and general repair being done at specialized centres. They also tend to have awful MPG's so absolutely drink fuel.

My uncle for instance is CEO at a chain of private schools both domestic and international, he drives a Toyota Auris as its most effective for budgeting and handles all he needs. There's just those small details people don't pick up on when rping affluent. Those who enter quick money, quite often end up broke 5-10 years later, they just don't budget well. 10m sounds like a lot on paper, but when you're buying things left and right it quickly dissolves.

I just don't like this idea of giving people what they want off the bat, another server tried to do a version of this with the savings systems, and despite holding $750,000,000 in the bank account, I didn't even come close to top 10%, inflation is a dangerous beast to predict, especially when irl there are teams of university trained experts making decisions to keep it down, here we do not have that; and we instead have players on a severe diet of retail therapy. 

11 hours ago, Smilesville said:

There's nothing illegal about flipping properties - it's just a flagrantly skeevy thing to do OOC. I don't see how the new banking system will ameliorate that issue.

If you start a bank (good luck with that) what does it matter what someone else thinks about the economy? What do you mean by "run over by my banker?" By definition, all RP is made up at some level and isn't real in the slightest.

If you're trying to force a particular perspective on the economy, that's a hell no from me. Just like someone who believes differently can't force you into a particular perspective on anything in particular.

To be frank, I tried reading what you said a few times, but I don't think I came away understanding what you're trying to say.

The new banking system is going to force people to register themselves as companies if they flip properties, and that could potentially open to legislation and taxing of it. There is everything wrong with flipping properties as 90% Of people do it with 0 Effort and thats wrong. 

• Wuhtah locked this topic