How do you RP the economy?

Busch

10 minutes ago, Jester said:

Because it is a rp server, just because you want to rp a 40 doesn't stop you. Hell be a 40 year neurosurgeon, say you decided to change jobs and still paying off loans, or maybe be a neurosurgeon with a shitty car and apartment till you can afford the nice stuff. 

This is your own desire to want all the best stuff on the server right away which is just boring. It seems like you would enjoy GTA online more, real easy to get the best of everything on there although I warn you there is still a couple of heists you may have to do. 

But if you want to RP someone who isn't more or less destitute, you have to wait a number of hours or get a job at a bar?

Sorry, but that's silly. The focus on the grind causes so many of the server's issues.

4 hours ago, arandomgamer said:

If people want to roleplay a rich business owner with sports cars they'll just grind money until they can do that. My alternative simply removes the clearly OOC grind.

that's not how inflation works. Look, everyone hates the economy but this idea of giving people/removing barriers on things being harmless? its not.

In two scenarios, you have two players. One is a player setting out to open his own business within this server, the other is on a hypothetical server where people can just get whatever they want. Player A, joins the server, he does some development of his character and as his story progresses he decides its the best call to progress his roleplay via business ownership. So he saves a little up, and requests a lease and begins his project. He's not had to grind as leasing fee's are well balanced. And like a business IRL, he is effectively renting the land to run his business. Player A. is happy.

Player B decides to do the same thing on his server, but this time there's none of those barriers and where people are being allowed to pick what they have, a sizable group of players decide they're all rich kids having inherited lots of money from Daddy's trust fund to do as they wish. Now you, a serious roleplayer but one who's given access to whatever he wants via this system now faces a struggle to find, open and maintain a business as the influx of people with this level of cash in their account all decide to do the same thing. Now every business is fighting on a heavily saturated market place and ultimately no one gets to keep or maintain a successful business. This type of scenario is not healthy for any server, and that's why there are some basic steps to the economy.

Now onto the regular faces I see here. There are many different avenues of suggestion for an economy, but ultimately its not as simple as thinking you can change everything overnight and not expect runaway reactions which will ultimately harm the servers health. Management are faced with that decision, and whilst there are many aspects of the economy at troubled stages; ultimately its the health of the server and the bigger picture being looked after here. You want to create a place where places can be happy, and that involves a significant number of compromises to maintain the balance.

2 hours ago, Mecovy said:

Now you, a serious roleplayer but one who's given access to whatever he wants via this system now faces a struggle to find, open and maintain a business as the influx of people with this level of cash in their account all decide to do the same thing. Now every business is fighting on a heavily saturated market place and ultimately no one gets to keep or maintain a successful business. This type of scenario is not healthy for any server, and that's why there are some basic steps to the economy.

We already have this problem. See the 10+ nightclubs all doing the same thing. Heavily saturated market? Check. People with massive amounts of cash to keep doing the same thing over and over? Check. See the housing market that's pretty much gone to hell. People having money isn't the issue. It's the quality of role play, their decisions and characters that come with it.

Not only that, you're just delaying the inevitable. People will grind for that same amount of cash which does nothing but promote a culture of grinding and lack of quality RP. We should be focusing on quality control, not impeding people's choices because they lack the "OOC but IC when its convenient" money in the top right corner.

Edited by Sixty

15 minutes ago, Sixty said:

We already have this problem. See the 10+ nightclubs all doing the same thing. Heavily saturated market? Check. People with massive amounts of cash to keep doing the same thing over and over? Check. See the housing market that's pretty much gone to hell. People having money isn't the issue. It's the quality of role play, their decisions and characters that come with it.

I'll tack onto this - not only do we have the same issues the current economy exists to ostensibly prevent, but we're actually moving backwards.

The people with tons of cash are, for the most part, the people who grind and don't RP properly - or skirt around the edges of the rules by flipping houses, businesses, etc. These are the people you're giving outsized influence on the RP of the remainder of the server through business ownership and the like.

1 hour ago, Mecovy said:

Player B decides to do the same thing on his server, but this time there's none of those barriers and where people are being allowed to pick what they have, a sizable group of players decide they're all rich kids having inherited lots of money from Daddy's trust fund to do as they wish.

Let's not pretend this can't be accomplished with hours of grinding to achieve insane profits - and that it isn't encouraged by the server structure, besides.

Economies shift to balance supply and demand. Grinding produces an overabundance of demand, negatively impacting the experience of everyone else even if they don't grind by artificially raising prices - the housing market is a perfect example of this. Price caps haven't helped either, they just cause the individuals with the properties to hold onto them even longer until the cap is removed (or trade them for other housing.) This is the phenomenon known as inflation, and it's out of control.

This is why prices for things a player can sell without a substantial script competitor - alcohol, property, guns, etc - seem to be so ridiculously expensive. They're actually priced correctly for the market. That market is just flaming hot garbage trying to self-correct for poorly priced scripts.

Don't like that? Then it's time to change it. Hand wringing to try to salvage the current market isn't doing anyone any good.

51 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

I'll tack onto this - not only do we have the same issues the current economy exists to ostensibly prevent, but we're actually moving backwards.

The people with tons of cash are, for the most part, the people who grind and don't RP properly - or skirt around the edges of the rules by flipping houses, businesses, etc. These are the people you're giving outsized influence on the RP of the remainder of the server through business ownership and the like.

Let's not pretend this can't be accomplished with hours of grinding to achieve insane profits - and that it isn't encouraged by the server structure, besides.

And.....

1 tTv3cA-l_sG8jV1-ASkmcg.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Busch said:

After reading all of this I believe there should be a command for a person to say “no more paychecks for me”

Pretty genius idea actually. I feel that some people just stockpile the extra money so that they don't have to start a new character when they inevitably end their character's story with a name change and no assets. This leads to stockpiling rather than living in the moment with their character and spending their wealth to potentially facilitate further RP opportunities for themselves and for others.

Playing devil's advocate here. I think that's part of the reason why some people advocate for the inclusion of starting money right away rather than having to grind for it. The grind mentality takes away from the player experience. Whether they get the starting cash right away or grind for it, people's tendencies will still be the same. If someone has destined themselves to be a mall rat, they're either going to do it right away or in 40 hours once they've grinded their starting paychecks. Delaying the cash doesn't usually change the outcome. People will live the story they want to live regardless of when the money is obtained. Quality control is what should be more important, instead of impeding one's abilities via IC cash restrictions.

Edited by Sixty
3 minutes ago, Sixty said:

Pretty genius idea actually. I feel that some people just stockpile the extra money so that they don't have to start a new character when they inevitably end their character's story with a name change and no assets. This leads to stockpiling rather than living in the moment with their character and spending their wealth to potentially facilitate further RP opportunities for themselves and for others.

Playing devil's advocate here. I think that's part of the reason why some people advocate for the inclusion of starting money right away rather than having to grind for it. The grind mentality takes away from the player experience. Whether they get the starting cash right away or grind for it, people's tendencies will still be the same. If someone has destined themselves to be a mall rat, they're either going to do it right away or in 40 hours once they've grinded their starting paychecks. Delaying the cash doesn't usually change the outcome. People will live the story they want to live regardless of when the money is obtained. Quality control is what should be more important, instead of impeding one's abilities via IC cash restrictions.

Yes this is true. And honestly a more perfect system would be a serious question right at the beginning. Like sort of the aspirations of your character type of questions. Like for example business, hobo, military, and all those different types of past one could have. Also choosing your starting pay amount, and taxes to be equal to everyone. 

But something that really offended me is that people say they "do not RP the economy" there for those who do are being ignored. For example I put up a bank, I need to RP the economy to satisfy the needs of the people that come to my agency. But not lets say a lowlife individual tells me "I do not RP the economy". Alright... Cool. But what happens after when this person gets run over by my banker character that does RP something she does not ackowledge at an OOC level? She doesn't ackowledge what is behind my entire RP. Because the banking RP is not made up, depending on what ur organization is aiming towards, you have to do analysis and evaluate what is going out out there. So is it ok for me not to ackowledge the lawsuit she'll place for me later on, or better, not ackowledge her entire existence at all? It isn't because this is a community and like it or not it is filled with different perspectives. However something should be real and it should have an effect on everyone like an economy does. Therefor I see the thing that I suggested as best.

P.S also the server is kind of designed to grind, while it shouldn't because look at the trucking levels... It shouldn't be like that... Also look at the fishing system. Also my writing is a bit off but I hope you all understand where I'm trying to get.

8 minutes ago, Busch said:

Yes this is true. And honestly a more perfect system would be a serious question right at the beginning. Like sort of the aspirations of your character type of questions. Like for example business, hobo, military, and all those different types of past one could have. Also choosing your starting pay amount, and taxes to be equal to everyone. 

But something that really offended me is that people say they "do not RP the economy" there for those who do are being ignored. For example I put up a bank, I need to RP the economy to satisfy the needs of the people that come to my agency. But not lets say a lowlife individual tells me "I do not RP the economy". Alright... Cool. But what happens after when this person gets run over by my banker character that does RP something she does not ackowledge at an OOC level? She doesn't ackowledge what is behind my entire RP. Because the banking RP is not made up, depending on what ur organization is aiming towards, you have to do analysis and evaluate what is going out out there. So is it ok for me not to ackowledge the lawsuit she'll place for me later on, or better, not ackowledge her entire existence at all? It isn't because this is a community and like it or not it is filled with different perspectives. However something should be real and it should have an effect on everyone like an economy does. Therefor I see the thing that I suggested as best.

P.S also the server is kind of designed to grind, while it shouldn't because look at the trucking levels... It shouldn't be like that... Also look at the fishing system. Also my writing is a bit off but I hope you all understand where I'm trying to get.

This is true, but we have moved away from the RPGish start we had coming in the future for us, I firmly believe that with the new banking system coming, people who skim around the edges and flip properties are going to have a hard time dealing with the IRS. And if they take it OOC, I firmly believe RPQM is going to deal with them. This should see a surge in companies registered, and perhaps shady office hotels for criminals. And perhaps even banks for laundering.

Edited by Mahiko
43 minutes ago, Mahiko said:
This is true, but we have moved away from the RPGish start we had coming in the future for us, I firmly believe that with the new banking system coming, people who skim around the edges and flip properties are going to have a hard time dealing with the IRS. And if they take it OOC, I firmly believe RPQM is going to deal with them. This should see a surge in companies registered, and perhaps shady office hotels for criminals. And perhaps even banks for laundering.

There's nothing illegal about flipping properties - it's just a flagrantly skeevy thing to do OOC. I don't see how the new banking system will ameliorate that issue.

50 minutes ago, Busch said:

For example I put up a bank, I need to RP the economy to satisfy the needs of the people that come to my agency. But not lets say a lowlife individual tells me "I do not RP the economy". Alright... Cool. But what happens after when this person gets run over by my banker character that does RP something she does not ackowledge at an OOC level? She doesn't ackowledge what is behind my entire RP. Because the banking RP is not made up, depending on what ur organization is aiming towards, you have to do analysis and evaluate what is going out out there. So is it ok for me not to ackowledge the lawsuit she'll place for me later on, or better, not ackowledge her entire existence at all? It isn't because this is a community and like it or not it is filled with different perspectives. However something should be real and it should have an effect on everyone like an economy does. Therefor I see the thing that I suggested as best.

Also my writing is a bit off but I hope you all understand where I'm trying to get.

If you start a bank (good luck with that) what does it matter what someone else thinks about the economy? What do you mean by "run over by my banker?" By definition, all RP is made up at some level and isn't real in the slightest.

If you're trying to force a particular perspective on the economy, that's a hell no from me. Just like someone who believes differently can't force you into a particular perspective on anything in particular.

To be frank, I tried reading what you said a few times, but I don't think I came away understanding what you're trying to say.

Edited by Smilesville
  • Wuhtah locked this topic