How do you RP the economy?

Busch

1 minute ago, arandomgamer said:

If people want to roleplay a rich business owner with sports cars they'll just grind money until they can do that. My alternative simply removes the clearly OOC grind.

Thats not a better alternative. Do you not agree that it will lead to more people rping rich business owners and driving around in cheetahs? Is that what you want the server to be? I know for a fact if I was new to the server and could buy a cheetah and drive around id do it without considering otherwise, wrong impression for new players to be able to buy literally anything as u suggest

5 minutes ago, Koko said:

That's not what I actually mean though, because my amateur DJ character still lives in a one room studio and drives an Admiral he got from his dad because that's what I choose his story to be, despite the fact that his payments and money were fully IC and didn't come from any script, netting him enough money to not have to live the life I impose on him, thus literally having to ignore RP (which is technically against the rules).

Thats pretty normal I dont see a problem in what your saying, aslong as you enjoy the RP just don't overthink the script money. Also rule 0, admin discretion, no admin would punish you for willingly ignoring assets to rp lower income, theyd actually commend you for it. 

We cant have 100% IC rped money because nobody wants to work for OOC years and apply for a mortgage just to get a house on a game, idk what the alternative is here this is a non-issue and everyone who suggested an alternative is suggesting something that would objectively make the server worse rp quality like letting bartenders have sportscars.

11 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

If people want to roleplay a rich business owner with sports cars they'll just grind money until they can do that. My alternative simply removes the clearly OOC grind.

No one's stopping you from

roleplaying a rich business owner. You just don't have to start them off as that rich business owner. Start them young, let them get a job, slowly become a manager at whatever company they work at, age them up as they get promotions and at different stages, and a few months in you'll have enough money to start their business AND you'd have gotten good character development rather than just create a new character and bam they're a rich business owner.

20 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

So why don't we get 1 million dollars then?

Because not everyone can or should be a millionaire.

20 minutes ago, arandomgamer said:

WHich one is it?

Why would my neurosurgeon have to buy a bar and grind it out for months when realistically he'd already have everything?

You're thinking about this in a very rudimentary way. There are solutions to this problem; namechange or post on the forums to transfer assets, lease your vehicles/rent your penthouse instead of buying it, work a job that could actually make that kind of money; a hotshot lawyer, a financial consultant, a high-class business owner, ect.

Wanna play a neurosurgeon? Great, go talk to a medical faction and get a job. If you don't then you're an out-of-work neurosurgeon. Better yet, why don't you roleplay the hundreds of thousands of dollars in school debt you'd face.

I never told you to grind, I told you to roleplay a realistic character. Money isn't there so you can drive a sports car, money is there so you can play a character who could drive a sports car. There's a fundamental difference you're not grasping.

I don't believe that truckers should be allowed to own Bugatti's. Roleplay a trucking executive and I'll feel differently. If you take issue with the server's standards then it might not be your cup of tea.

You're very clearly looking for a fight so I'm just going to leave it at that and wish you the best.

27 minutes ago, Whoopty said:

Do you not agree that it will lead to more people rping rich business owners and driving around in cheetahs?

As it is, they can do it anyway. They just have to grind 50 hours of trucking first. It just promotes an OOC, non-interactive profession instead and probably makes people quit before they get there because let's face it who the f wants to do trucking or gas station jobs for 50 hours?

22 minutes ago, Moe said:

Start them young, let them get a job, slowly become a manager at whatever company they work at, age them up as they get promotions and at different stages, and a few months in you'll have enough money to start their business AND you'd have gotten good character development rather than just create a new character and bam they're a rich business owner.

I don't like artificial aging. One day you're 29 the other day you're 40. What about your old friends that stayed the same age? Never made sense to me.

13 minutes ago, Fancy Toothpaste said:

Because not everyone can or should be a millionaire.

But they can though, they just need to grind enough hours at X job.

I simply want to remove that OOC barrier.

rent your penthouse instead of buying it

Have... you seen this server's real estate situation? There's like 5 houses left to buy or something. When I tried renting I woke up with a second tenant out of nowhere in my living room. People are exploiting properties to hell.

If you don't then you're an out-of-work neurosurgeon

That's ridiculous. Just because X faction/business doesn't exist doesn't mean you can't roleplay being part of that industry. Monopoly on roleplay is a very dangerous thing that we simply should not do.

I never told you to grind, I told you to roleplay a realistic character

Yeah dude, OOC grind money on one character until you have enough

and then name change, sounds like a great roleplaying experience 

/s

If you take issue with the server's standards

What standards lmao. The server doesn't even know whether the money you have is IC or OOC.

One one hand it's IC cause you earn it from your IC job, on the other it's OOC cause you can't use it to buy a Ferrari and on the other hand it's IC cause you can be robbed/scammed of it, even though you were just told it's not IC.

And bringing up realism is silly anyway on a server on which every illegal roleplayer has a gun, 20% of the civilians have a CCW, homicides happen multiple times daily, people drive eat 120 mph through the city because the traffic is non existent and I can keep going on. It seems you only want to apply realism when it suits you.

Edited by arandomgamer
1 hour ago, arandomgamer said:

One one hand it's IC cause you earn it from your IC job, on the other it's OOC cause you can't use it to buy a Ferrari and on the other hand it's IC cause you can be robbed/scammed of it, even though you were just told it's not IC.

And bringing up realism is silly anyway on a server on which every illegal roleplayer has a gun, 20% of the civilians have a CCW, homicides happen multiple times daily, people drive at 120 mph through the city because the traffic is non existent and I can keep going on.

1 tTv3cA-l_sG8jV1-ASkmcg.jpeg

Edited by Sixty
3 minutes ago, Invictus said:

Imo money are an ooc tool to define your character. Is it poor? Is it rich? etc. Just because it's possible to gain millions off of grinding that doesn't make a character rich.

As for the economy itself, I'm not a fan.

If it's an OOC tool why dont we get more of it...

Instead of just doing the trucking job, have you thought about getting a job to roleplay instead...you know since this is a RP server. 

As everyone has said the money is oocly, do what you want with it. If you want to play a millionaire go for it, however don't be upset if people call you a mall rat if it doesn't make sense, ie. Rich young millionaire and if so screw them, rp how you want.

I play a poor country hick, I have a lot of money, but I just use it to go to the bars and other businesses to rp because that is what the server is about. Sure you can change things, but I would fix a lot of stuff before I even messed with a system that is working just fine currently.

• Wuhtah locked this topic