How do you RP the economy?

Busch

1 minute ago, Henning said:

Trickle down economics is a sham. I highly suggest you reevaluate your argument if that's going to be your basis.

We've been given one multiple times by management, people just refuse to accept it.

$100 = $10, an exception is made for items like masks which give players a serious buff because at the end of the day this is a game. Whatever an items price is IG is it's actual price, as much as people seem so distraught whenever they have to RP that. Here's the thing about an economy, it doesn't have to match real life as long as it's balanced. People getting upset by this OOCly are focusing on the wrong issues.

It's not that balanced, but it's ten times better than on LSRP. And, if you consider the fact that one dollar in real life is ten dollars in game, it's more than okay.

• Upvote 1

I do know it's hilariously hard to role-play say a homeless character when you get $800 a hour for existing. 

I personally ignore bank account figures. It doesn't help that you get the "basic income" but only for the first 20 hours or whatever. Kinda hard to interpret that IC.

Edited by bartman
1 hour ago, Henning said:

Trickle down economics is a sham. I highly suggest you reevaluate your argument if that's going to be your basis.

We've been given one multiple times by management, people just refuse to accept it.

$100 = $10, an exception is made for items like masks which give players a serious buff because at the end of the day this is a game. Whatever an items price is IG is it's actual price, as much as people seem so distraught whenever they have to RP that. Here's the thing about an economy, it doesn't have to match real life as long as it's balanced. People getting upset by this OOCly are focusing on the wrong issues.

Say it louder for the people in the back 👏

2 hours ago, Henning said:

I had to say it, I can't say "bring more money to my char's store to buy Rolexes so it trickles up", can I 😉

As for the 100=10 part, it says so in the tutorial tooltips even iirc.

But the problem is this isn't true. It doesn't hold for estate, it doesn't hold for a beer (unless you buy that beer in a super expensive place), and most of all it doesn't hold for drugs (gram of coke for 28 dollar? nice I'd buy).

Any attempt to tie the LS-Dollar to the value of the real dollar is doomed to fail as irl we have much much more factors influencing the developement of prices, regardless if up or down, than here in our nutshell economy where most is based on scripted base prices.

I do agree script-money per hour is an issue, though. Thesystem here is too faction-tailored, I think-

I got a regular job ic that nets me a gov paycheck on shift, a quite decent share in sales, and despite this still receive 500 dollar unemployment support each hour (eben when on shift).

2 hours ago, bartman said:

I do know it's hilariously hard to role-play say a homeless character when you get $800 a hour for existing. 

You do realize that you're still farming the mechanic payment on top and do not fully limit yourself, right?

Do not ask how your country can make you poor, ask how you can get poor of your country, or something

Edited by knppel
14 minutes ago, knppel said:

You do realize that you're still farming the mechanic payment on top and do not fully limit yourself, right?

Do not ask how your country can make you poor, ask how you can get poor of your country, or something

I /charity the money back, but if you interpret the money as strictly IC you basically eliminate anyone from being poor or homeless. We've created a utopia, I guess?

Edited by bartman
15 minutes ago, bartman said:

I /charity the money back, but if you interpret the money as strictly IC you basically eliminate anyone from being poor or homeless. We've created a utopia, I guess?

You have. Hence these hobo characters don't tend to be a thing for long and if people claim they are a thing for long. Trust me tehy don't make it to a well established character. Anyway I've thought about three methods of choosing your life in GTAW. One being

• Hard: That means you get up to 100,000 on entry. However you do not get any paychecks after that (idk if they should get taxes) (With this option if you wish to play as a hobo you can try and charity all your money except for some like 1000 dollars to make your outfits and so on.
  • Medium: You get your paycheck up to 200,000 and half the amount per hour that is up to 400 whcih is half of the normal 800 one. Kind of higher taxes.
  • Easy: You get your 200,000 paycheck and normal pay. And you pay current taxes.
Edited by Busch
8 hours ago, Busch said:

So... How do you RP it?

I don't. More accurately, you can't.

Mechanical cash undermines the stated purpose of the server - but without it, there's no sense of progression and all we're left with are the stories that are created. (See also: GTAW is a MMO and not HRP.)

The transfer rates really don't match up no matter which two sources you pick.

• A gun that costs $500 in real life shoots to $15,000 in the best of circumstances in game, so $10 RL is $300 GTAW?
  • Apartments in the city routinely cost upwards of $150,000 in real life, but only $35,000 in game, so $35 RL is $7 GTAW?
  • The Vapid Blade (1968 Chevy Impala in perfect condition) is worth $28,000 - $82,500 IRL, and $62,400 IG. So $1 RL is $1 GTAW?
  • Bartending in Los Angeles nets you about $16/hr on average, +$200 in tips per night. In GTAW, it's $2-4k. So $1 RL is $6 GTAW?

Anyone who tells you it's not a mess or has an exact exchange rate isn't looking at the whole picture. Anyone telling you to ignore it also doesn't RP the economy, else they have to explain why nearly every sports car owner is functionally unemployed.

It's a mess.

Edited by Smilesville
57 minutes ago, knppel said:

I had to say it, I can't say "bring more money to my char's store to buy Rolexes so it trickles up", can I 😉

As for the 100=10 part, it says so in the tutorial tooltips even iirc.

But the problem is this isn't true. It doesn't hold for estate, it doesn't hold for a beer (unless you buy that beer in a super expensive place), and most of all it doesn't hold for drugs (gram of coke for 28 dollar? nice I'd buy).

Any attempt to tie the LS-Dollar to the value of the real dollar is doomed to fail as irl we have much much more factors influencing the developement of prices, regardless if up or down, than here in our nutshell economy where most is based on scripted base prices.

I do agree script-money per hour is an issue, though. Thesystem here is too faction-tailored, I think-

I got a regular job ic that nets me a gov paycheck on shift, a quite decent share in sales, and despite this still receive 500 dollar unemployment support each hour (eben when on shift).

Your making a mountain out of a mole hill. 

Is the economy great? No, but this a video game nobody is expecting 1:1 economic modeling. It functions and it's completely understandable if you aren't looking to make issues out of small things as you are doing. Just because you don't like the economy, doesn't mean the economy is broken. 

Edited by Henning
Just now, Henning said:

Is the economy great? No, but this a video game nobody is expecting 1:1 economic modeling. It functions and it's completely understandable if you aren't looking to make issues out of small things as you are doing. Just because you don't like the economy, doesn't mean the economy is broken. 

Might have worded it wrong:

Not broken, but balanced differently(than irl).

See @Smilesville's more detailed analysis above.

This is just impossible to comprehend as long as I try to apply real life economy and value relations (which we all do to a degree, as that's what we know, regardless what currency the country we live in has).

I'm not the one crying it's broken while taking paycheck money not intended for my character type.

But it does transport ingame too that many people do, as they let their characters act the same way ic, complain about beer prices or wherever else etc. in comparison to what they're used from in their former life in New York or wherever.

Just now, knppel said:

This is just impossible to comprehend as long as I try to apply real life economy and value relations (which we all do to a degree, as that's what we know, regardless what currency the country we live in has).

Then stop. All you have to know is that 100=10 is the official conversion rate, anything after that can be written off as the quirk of a video game. 

I explained that this is a video game, look at it like a video game and things will make sense. Your response? "Well when I try to look at it like real life I can't comprehend it". Exactly! Because its a fucking video game economy setup by a bunch of volunteer developers. The more you try to "Understand" the economy and it's relationship to the real world, the less those quirks make sense. Because, again this is a video game not the real world it doesn't have to make sense as long as it's enjoyable.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic