What kind of roleplay is overlooked/underrated?

On 10/13/2021 at 5:48 PM, Koko said:

I did on my Jamaican character, actually, and it was the main reason he was very quick to get a job at PHMC after graduating from ULSA as a Nurse (to secure his stay in the country). When that character got politically active and the Democrats wanted him to run for office, he was quick to remind everyone that he wasn't a citizen, lmao. I know of another PHMC member who RPed an asian woman also struggling with getting Citizenship. We discussed it IC a couple times, real fun, makes for really good passive RP.

I was the Asian lady struggling with citizenship. Loved the roleplay and dynamic with your char; proper immigration roleplay is underrated. And researching how to properly roleplay the process of green card to citizenship really highlighted how draconian a lot of the system is - it’s genuinely very hard for a foreigner of a country that doesn’t speak English as a native language to gain citizenship.

I did try to speak with a few friends in GOV to see if I could actually roleplay the citizenship interview with somebody but I sadly couldn’t find anyone able to.  

Edited by CatHusky
  • Upvote 1
On 10/10/2021 at 8:09 PM, Brett Love said:

Passive legal characters. People complain that there is no rp and it's lacking. Well they don't look for it. It's not hard to strike up a conversation at a venue.

For some people, it is very, very difficult to do that.

• 3 weeks later...

I think that social media is being massively underused, compared to real life. While almost everyone has an Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, Snapchat or Tiktok account, very few people actually use Facebrowser (regularly), and the ones who do end up overusing it. We don't have any influencers, for example - even if someone wanted to portray something like that, their reach would be pretty small and they'd have no one to influence.

Social media is a huge part of everyone's lives - in lots of contexts on GTA World, though, it seems non-existent.

14 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I think that social media is being massively underused, compared to real life. While almost everyone has an Instagram, Facebook, Whatsapp, Snapchat or Tiktok account, very few people actually use Facebrowser (regularly), and the ones who do end up overusing it. We don't have any influencers, for example - even if someone wanted to portray something like that, their reach would be pretty small and they'd have no one to influence.

Social media is a huge part of everyone's lives - in lots of contexts on GTA World, though, it seems non-existent.

True, I wonder if it's not because Facebrowser is a Facebook-like thing, while most people below 30 will tend to use Instagram/Twitter/TikTok/Snapchat instead... Thus leaving Facebook to the boomers where they can spread their cringey conspiracy memes? 

6 minutes ago, Topinambour said:

True, I wonder if it's not because Facebrowser is a Facebook-like thing, while most people below 30 will tend to use Instagram/Twitter/TikTok/Snapchat instead... Thus leaving Facebook to the boomers where they can spread their cringey conspiracy memes? 

I wanted to suggest a counterpart to Facebrowser, more similar to Instagram, but then realized that wouldn't exactly work - Instagram heavily relies on videos in one way or another - in reality, most people can snap a video and post it in seconds while over here, it would require a powerful PC, recording & editing software and way too much work, for each video.

The only way to bring Facebrowser to life and to its full potential would be to have everyone (or a ton of people) use it. That's how all social media works - it's about how many people use it, not the website itself. If we could have, say, 80% of the server be on Facebrowser, talk to friends, post stuff, be part of groups, buy/sell stuff, host and take part in events etc., then we'd start having way more importance given to it, more traffic, and in return, more role-play. There are ways to bring that many people to it at the same time too, but it would need express interest from management and whoever handles Facebrowser. Otherwise it won't work - people stay because their friends stay, so it wouldn't work if someone join, saw no one they knew (who is active), left and so on. It has to all happen at the same time - and if that happens, even if it's more like Facebook, it will probably become the norm.

I think it's a very powerful aspect of GTA World that is truly being overlooked.

9 minutes ago, Mahitto said:

I wanted to suggest a counterpart to Facebrowser, more similar to Instagram, but then realized that wouldn't exactly work - Instagram heavily relies on videos in one way or another - in reality, most people can snap a video and post it in seconds while over here, it would require a powerful PC, recording & editing software and way too much work, for each video.

Not counting the humongous resources necessary to host all those videos 😛 The RL cost to host that stuff would quickly skyrocket 😞 

• Wuhtah locked this topic