What kind of roleplay is overlooked/underrated?

28 minutes ago, Akali said:

There's a solid reason why homeless RP isn't that common, it's because as soon as you identify as homeless on GTA, somebody WILL give you a car, food, somewhere to live and immediately try to change your character without asking. If this happened IRL, there wouldn't be any homeless people.

Rob them and spend it all on drugs.

roleplaying proper wealth/success without being under 30-35 years old and owning multiple sports cars, owning a house without a mortgage off the money made from owning a coffee shop, or who is an avatar of ideal self

the vast majority of "rich" characters i've run into have been so egregious it makes playing a wealthy character suck because guilt by association

gatekeeping is cringe so I let people do what they want it's just an eye-roller

homeless RP or low-income RP in general is super underrated and very fun as well, one of my characters lives in a garage, good stuff

Edited by ChromaticDeath

Agree with @ChromaticDeath. The "young king" syndrome on this server is kind of silly. Most of the time if you're young you are not wealthy. And when you become wealthy, it's later in life. But as he said, gatekeeping is cringe so you got to let them live, but nothing wrong with pointing out how absurd it can seem. Also the complete lack of investment in manifesting that wealth RP is a big one to me. You don't just become "business owner" you have to actually build it up. Who builds a business from the ground up in the server? Half the time they want to hire people day one but why? Do people here think people who own a business in real life day one don't put ANY of the work in? The start is always about busting your ass, the riches and wealth come later.

Low income RP has great benefits and I agree it is underappreciated. But more so the "rich and handsome young king super mix" of people between 18 and 25 and and LARPing their IRL hopes of their future whilst retaining their real first name as the first name of their IC character is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Roleplay gives you the opportunity to roleplay something completely different from yourself and your life situation and people should embrace that more.

5 hours ago, Tickle said:

Agree with @ChromaticDeath. The "young king" syndrome on this server is kind of silly. Most of the time if you're young you are not wealthy. And when you become wealthy, it's later in life. But as he said, gatekeeping is cringe so you got to let them live, but nothing wrong with pointing out how absurd it can seem. Also the complete lack of investment in manifesting that wealth RP is a big one to me. You don't just become "business owner" you have to actually build it up. Who builds a business from the ground up in the server? Half the time they want to hire people day one but why? Do people here think people who own a business in real life day one don't put ANY of the work in? The start is always about busting your ass, the riches and wealth come later.

My character (who you have met) actually bases a lot of his RP in the pressure of this "young king" expectation the server has created. The idea with the character was to take everything that civilian RPers did as a normal fact of life and go with these behaviours like they're normal.

He's willing to fall into every stereotype of the so-called "mallrat" because he's interiorized that that's what success looks like (because the server taught him that), so after some initial success he bought a high-end car he can't afford to maintain (from a player that was practically giving it away at an absurdly low price) and wears expensive clothes and jewellery (all of which are purchased as actual script items and drain my account) while living in a tiny studio apartment and barely driving his car out of fear of needing to pay for maintenance costs.

He makes every effort to look like he leads an expensive, rich lifestyle when in reality he just has a good work ethic and was good with handling his initial economic success (and then horrible at making that last). In the end it's actually RPing his economic struggles that's the most fun, especially because in a server where you can be anyone, people rarely expect your character to need to lie for frivolous reasons just because most would rather just allow themselves these luxuries.

I've found it a lot more interesting than just making my character rich overnight, and I really would recommend more players to think of how their characters afford to do all these things.

6 hours ago, Tickle said:

Low income RP has great benefits and I agree it is underappreciated. But more so the "rich and handsome young king super mix" of people between 18 and 25 and and LARPing their IRL hopes of their future whilst retaining their real first name as the first name of their IC character is a bit ridiculous in my opinion. Roleplay gives you the opportunity to roleplay something completely different from yourself and your life situation and people should embrace that more.

My alt is 25 living in a RV somewhere in Sandy but tbh we need public transportation like city buses

Edited by PrinceCane
  • Wuhtah locked this topic