The State of Robbery RP: Low effort, High gains

2 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

I never took issue with people wanting the script items themselves, I only personally saw a problem in how people roleplay going about getting them. It's robotic- devoid of emotion, devoid of any humanity

This.

If you go ahead and watch footage of some real robberies, 90% of robbers are scared shitless and run the hell away at first sight of anything going wrong.

A few days ago my friend who is a cop got attacked and robbed by two masked men. They found a badge on her, so what did they do? Roleplay fear accordingly and regret and show human emotions?

Nope, they took her up to the top floor of a parking lot and threw her off the roof like any other human would

Edited by Raicyk
  • Upvote 1
Just now, ChromaticDeath said:

I never took issue with people wanting the script items themselves, I only personally saw a problem in how people roleplay going about getting them. It's robotic- devoid of emotion, devoid of any humanity, just a figure in all black with a gun, shouting to put hands up, and dropping a very generalized emote of grabbing stuff. I'd love it if more people would put effort into that roleplay. You catch a character off guard completely, do the RP accordingly? By all means, take their gun, some money, whatever. But as I stated the current status quo is to not bother with the roleplay itself, and focus on securing the bag- being those script items some are so desperate to acquire. Items are good for roleplay but are not necessary and shouldn't be the end-all-be-all focus of someone's grind. Of course people commit robberies for gain- no question nor issues about that. Just the execution.

And as I've said, I don't think subpar robberies are good, I hate them myself as an illegal roleplayer.

However, you must understand that we can't devote 10 minutes of our time to roleplay to the best of our ability in a high-stakes situation like armed robbery. There is still a sense of imminent threat and danger when robbing someone, a cop could turn the corner at any moment and people can only roleplay so well with that much time on their hands. 

2 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

Items are good for roleplay but are not necessary and shouldn't be the end-all-be-all focus of someone's grind. 

They shouldn't be the end-all-be-all focus, sure. But as I said to Smilesville, gang members need weapons to defend themselves against rival gangs, so items are actually a necessity for a lot of the people that are committing robberies.

If illegal roleplayers had more opportunities to make money, and as such, purchase weapons? It would be less of an issue. While I don't think that would outright solve the problem, I'm sure it would deter a lot of people from riding out for the sole purpose of scriptwise gain.

Just now, EffPee said:

Step number one to solving a problem is realizing the problem exists and being willing to discuss it, and for that, I thank you, very much.

Common courtesy to roleplay should be extended to the victim of the robbery, in the same right that the RP should go by quickly. I've had people /b and /pm me because I took thirty seconds to type an emote out. Thirty seconds. People have varying typing speeds, as sucky as that is, especially under duress, as most legal roleplayers simply aren't used to being rolled up on and having guns pointed at their characters. They're usually not in that same sphere, so they're not about it. That's why I said timescaling would help, if it could be done at all. It's what we did for years on a previous server I roleplayed on and allowed a little flexibility to promote actual good emotes and portrayal rather than 2 lines for searching and a lot of /s shut up and /s hands up. Roleplay has to balance with expediency and too many people are too willing to sacrifice the first to necessitate the second.

20 minutes ago, EffPee said:

You can develop stories and characters while ALSO expecting some sort of scriptwise gain, did you ever consider this

Robberies certainly do not do this. Especially two minute robberies where the only spoken line is "hands up fool."

I'm willing to have a genuine discussion with people about why robberies are poorly roleplayed and how this can be treated, your only arguments always end up talking about how illegal roleplayers want no change unless it benefits them, and illegal roleplayers don't care about their victims, and illegal roleplayers are shit rpers with no care in the world. 

I've proposed my solution - increase prison sentences. The overwhelming dissent seemed to be, as always, that an illegal RPer shouldn't be forced to roleplay in prison. It's hilarious to make this argument at the same time they want to subject the server to rote robbery after robbery.

I do care about what others think, I shouldn't have to prove to you that I would partake in a robbery for the roleplay/development AS WELL AS the script items I am well within my right to hope to gain.

Robberies do not provide development for the vast majority of characters engaging in them. "I experienced one good robbery, and/or I develop my character through robberies" is not an adequate response. The vast majority of them are shit, and over the several years this has been the case, I've seen not one suggestion from the illegal community to improve their quality.

A gang member needs weapons to use when they get into conflict with their rivals. A person needs money to pay for rent, buy a car, keep their family in a nice position. I don't want to buy a helicopter, that's not realistic for my character. I don't want legal roleplayers to bow down to me, stop trying to drive a wedge between illegal and legal roleplayers, it helps no one and you simply need to grow up.

You have highly unrealistic expectations of what robbery proceeds in real life can accomplish if you believe they can pay rent, buy cars, and keep your family in a manner to which they are accustomed. That's not a realistic expectation. If your rivals are having the same issues you are, you're theoretically on even ground when it comes to gang conflicts - but again, your argument isn't about crafting a story in opposition to theirs, it's about getting mechanical weapons to get the W.

I'm not harassing anyone, I'm just tired of reading the same old arguments from you in which I have never seen an actual constructive justification behind it OR a way to fix the issues you so very dearly have a hatred for. [...] Never once have you had a constructive opinion that would benefit everyone, you want illegal roleplayers to have even less rights and you want legal roleplayers to have some form of protective dome from illegal roleplayers.

In-game, robbers harass players minding their own business. That's just a fact.

Here are just a few of the things I've suggested to ameliorate the problem we face:

I wouldn't be so irate about the robbery problem if the criminal weren't released four days later. I also wouldn't be so irate about them if they were properly roleplayed without the OOC harassment that often comes with them (/b showitems, quit stalling, etc etc.) One of my suggestions has already been forwarded, so we'll see how it impacts the server when it's implemented - maybe prison times alone solve the problem by discouraging the grindfest and leave it solely to those who can engage in them realistically - the incredibly desperate.

I've been talking about this and proposing changes since before you even knew what GTAW was, dude.

Edited by Smilesville
4 minutes ago, ChromaticDeath said:

Your profile picture and post tells me all I need to know about your outlook on the post and that you didn't read it whatsoever, have a nice day.

"Have a nice day", passive-aggressive so much lol?  I've read the post but honestly these threads bring nothing but "illegal" & "legal" rp forum battles.

Edited by MCB666

"Here we go again with this shit" providing no useful feedback whatsoever to a general discussion topic that very explicitly stated to keep things civil and constructive is equally passive-aggressive, just an FYI. If you don't like the snark, don't dish it out. Have a nice day.

Anyway here's another post I was just sent of some astonishingly bad robbery roleplay that happened just today, a few hours ago. A single one-line emote of patting someone down entirely. This was taken from a third party's video, but goes to show you my sample size and several examples were not cherry-picked. This really is a huge issue, and for whatever reason, people seem to think it's alright.

unknown.png

• mj2002 locked this topic