How to improve RP in nightclubs

Lurleen

On 5/8/2021 at 7:19 AM, LaceUpBrah said:

This is where the problem is at. I've had a spree of like a week going to each club getting my character drunk and high as a kite searching for RP of any kind but if you're out there on your own, which happened to me a few times you can give up and go search for RP somewhere else because everybody will ignore you. 90% of the people that attend night clubs are the same people from the the same group of lesbo friends that the moment they see a female character they run up to her and pull her in their closed group and ignore the rest of the people RPing there. Then there's the creeps, yeah.. those that do nothing but hit on every female character in the club trying to get some petty ERP and there's the gangbangers that do nothing but stand there and act tough. That's it, no vision, nothing spectacular, no imagination. Same shit different toilet. 

People need to stop being so cringe and ignorant in clubs, stop making closed circles with a bunch of people that you see every single night.

You see someone on their own? Your character is drunk? He/She should also be friendly, try to pull that lonely player out of his misery and create some passive RP, meet and greet, tell jokes, laugh.. flirt, fight, whatever. 

In my opinion the core problem is people are not properly rp:ing drunkenness. No one is getting wasted, I see time and time again people down whiskey in one go, continue to have their normal conversation for a while, and then drive away like it's nothing.

Properly roleplayed nightclubs, with people that are actually drunk, would also bring a lot of business to taxi drivers. People would realistically share a taxi to the club, party all night, and then catch a taxi home. Taxi drivers would start sitting outside nightclubs as well, and would have to start dealing with weird, drunk, slurry directions to where their customer's home is, possibly also with vomiting inside their taxi.

It's like people don't want to deal with the consequences of being wasted. It's apparently too much of a hassle to not be able to use their car, to the point where if a cop pulls you over right as you drive away from a nightclub you are suddenly completely sober. (This last paragraph is just speculation, I do not know what the real reason is, but this reason seems plausible.)

• Upvote 1
2 minutes ago, GamingNinjaSheep said:

In my opinion the core problem is people are not properly rp:ing drunkenness. No one is getting wasted, I see time and time again people down whiskey in one go, continue to have their normal conversation for a while, and then drive away like it's nothing.

Properly roleplayed nightclubs, with people that are actually drunk, would also bring a lot of business to taxi drivers. People would realistically share a taxi to the club, party all night, and then catch a taxi home. Taxi drivers would start sitting outside nightclubs as well, and would have to start dealing with weird, drunk, slurry directions to where their customer's home is, possibly also with vomiting inside their taxi.

It's like people don't want to deal with the consequences of being wasted. It's apparently too much of a hassle to not be able to use their car, to the point where if a cop pulls you over right as you drive away from a nightclub you are suddenly completely sober. (This last paragraph is just speculation, I do not know what the real reason is, but this reason seems plausible.)

I can relate to this. Everyone drives to the club and drives from the club. You know irl people either take taxi if they wanna drink, or walk.

But heh walking IG is a bloodsport. There is 90% chance you won't make it to your destination. Current club scene does not necessarily mean it isn't roleplayed, but where you normally walk home drunk or get hauled by taxi. But yeah not possible here, so everyone pretends they are not drunk so they can drive. And even if they are drunk, they risk driving license instead of life. You can't expect realism when it's not there.

RP getting stupid wasted. Act out on drugs. It's actually fantastic RP to have your friends need to tragically usher you home while you ramble drunkenly. Hell, arrive at the club half drunk. Drink outside in the parking lot, or over at a friend's.

Also nobody IRL buys a whole bottle of whiskey at a bar, drinks it and walks out.

The issue is that many people are hypocritical in their sense of character portrayal. People wouldn’t hesitate to complain if the server imposed harsher script downsides to drinking so people would RP it correctly. Then they say, “wahhh I should be free to RP that myself without a script, this isn’t an RPG”. Those same people turn around and don’t RP drunk consequences at all even when they should.

It’s sad really. 

Edited by Sixty
  • Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
  • 1 month later...
On 5/8/2021 at 4:19 AM, LaceUpBrah said:

90% of the people that attend night clubs are the same people from the the same group of lesbo friends that the moment they see a female character they run up to her and pull her in their closed group and ignore the rest of the people RPing there. Then there's the creeps, yeah.. those that do nothing but hit on every female character in the club trying to get some petty ERP and there's the gangbangers that do nothing but stand there and act tough. That's it, no vision, nothing spectacular, no imagination. Same shit different toilet. 

Pretty much.

But consider this.  The creeps and other types who go there to have fun by being assholic at other people's expense push people to form closed groups.  Everyone has seen their petty ERP and their petty annoyance roleplay 10,000 times before.  It's so repetitive, so boring.  The only thing to do is end the interaction and waste as little time as possible on it.  Soon characters start shutting out people they don't know.

It would be interesting to do some different types of club experiments.  Explicitly advertise a club so people know what it is, like Carribean Night, Vocal Trance, EDM, Trap, Eurodance,  etc (I don't know, I'm not an expert on different types of music) and see which ones people actually go to (have security count at the door or something, see how much money rolled in, whatever).

• Music-Specific Club (or music-specific night at a club):  Try one kind of music for a night, and see how many people come.  Run/advertise each type of music 3 times, and see what consistently draws.
  • Meatmarket, Straight:  Characters should only go if they're looking for straight hook ups.  Characters in this club can be assumed to be looking for action.  If a character isn't looking for that, don't go.  Of course server adult rp rules are in effect.  This might help push back against closed groups since people go to this kind of club expecting to be approached by characters they don't know.
  • Meatmarket, Gay: see above, but for gay characters.  If Tyrone or Billy-Joe-Jim-Bob go to this club, they have no right to get mad because they knew what they were getting into.  People will of course troll, so have ic and ooc countermeasures ready.
  • Extreme:  Characters going to this type of club should be prepared to rp being drunk and/or high as fuck, whether they are scriptly or not.  Rp That Guy or That Girl.
  • Wild:  This kind of club would be wild, with brawls, people rping being crazy ass drunk or high (whether they are scriptly or not), girls ODing in the bathrooms, a total zoo.  Characters shouldn't go if they're not ready for this, and if it's too much they should leave.  Law enforcement should cut this type of club a break oocly because someone's going to report something and if law enforcement responds icly and shuts it down that defeats the purpose.

An example advertise would look like something like this:  Club Jcat, Best Arabic Ethnic House Mix! DJ Whoever (MM/S, WILD!)

Something else that would be great is a guide about how DJing works oocly on GTAW so more people could try it.  That might open the door to more variety.

More and longer lasting drug effects, like visual effects from Fallout 3 or something, so you're legit struggling to get your character to the dancefloor (maybe not technically practical, just an idea. make drugs fun again!).  The new update may have already improved duration and so on, but drinking is still a text notation (maybe my character needs to drink way more, idk).

Something else, drug prices, duration of effects, and how long clubs stay open needs to be harmonized a little bit.

• Upvote 1
On 5/12/2021 at 5:45 PM, Sixty said:

The issue is that many people are hypocritical in their sense of character portrayal. People wouldn’t hesitate to complain if the server imposed harsher script downsides to drinking so people would RP it correctly. Then they say, “wahhh I should be free to RP that myself without a script, this isn’t an RPG”. Those same people turn around and don’t RP drunk consequences at all even when they should.

It’s sad really. 

in rp servers it's always a debate where "rpg" has turned into a buzzword players use to label any feature they don't like

there were talks even on here years ago against anything that seemed "too rpg", which is a very broad description/line of reasoning that i believe some people use to describe any feature they find too limiting for them personally, i'm surprised nobody has ever argued against the existence of fuel in vehicles

i think some of these "rpg" limitations can help players with creativity, sometimes too much freedom can make it harder for players to make decisions or keep to a standard, in this case if players chose to drink alcohol their characters would fall victim to intoxication and its drawbacks, and because alcohol isn't a necessity in the server, its effects are basically optional

7 hours ago, jcat said:
  • Meatmarket, Straight:  Characters should only go if they're looking for straight hook ups.  Characters in this club can be assumed to be looking for action.  If a character isn't looking for that, don't go.  Of course server adult rp rules are in effect.  This might help push back against closed groups since people go to this kind of club expecting to be approached by characters they don't know.
  • Extreme:  Characters going to this type of club should be prepared to rp being drunk and/or high as fuck, whether they are scriptly or not.  Rp That Guy or That Girl.
  • Wild:  This kind of club would be wild, with brawls, people rping being crazy ass drunk or high (whether they are scriptly or not), girls ODing in the bathrooms, a total zoo. 

I want that! Much more fun to RP than quickdate lol. 

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Lurleen said:

I want that! Much more fun to RP than quickdate lol.

Thanks for the positive vibes.  

Male characters who want to chat up females they might have a chance with would get to show their stuff, and female characters would get some massive, possibly overwhelming, queen bee spotlight time.

8 minutes ago, jcat said:

Thanks for the positive vibes.  

Male characters who want to chat up females they might have a chance with would get to show their stuff, and female characters would get some massive, possibly overwhelming, queen bee spotlight time.

Well, I once had in mind a real speakeasy club, even made an application, but ended up dropping the idea. Unlike random clubs where random characters show up to not do much or just chat to their own group of friends, wanted to create an underground club, which wouldn't be publically advertised. Would have been advertised by word of mouth, only allowing friends of friends, or trusted people, who'd be told about the location and dates. To make sure interesting characters go and having drugs available in the club for those type of crazy parties you mentioned.

Edited by Lurleen
  • Wuhtah locked this topic