How to improve RP in nightclubs

Lurleen

2 minutes ago, ChippySound said:

Problem there is not them owning 5 clubs, it's the club owners letting others manage their clubs so they get passive income. And yes, that is a problem.

Finally we're in an agreement. No matter if one person, or people who lead that company own all 5/6 clubs, it is a problem. You go to one of them, everything's the same, you go into another, still the same. 

As a DJ (DJ Oro): we can't please everyone.

I lean heavily into Reggaeton, latin music and Caribbean/Dancehall/Moombahton because I know the scene but mostly because Los Angeles IRL is close to 50% Latino and it makes sense to have at least one out of our roster of maybe... 6-8? dedicated DJs that I can think of (talking about the ones who mix live) to be playing something that's not House and Dance.

There's not a single opening where I don't have people complaining IC about the music selection. Even Latino characters take time off sometimes to make passive-aggressive emotes about the music. I've had people ask IC why I don't play "Club" music multiple times, which leaves me completely speechless every time lol.

Variety exists, but some people really do want to go out to just listen to Roses forever because it's their OOC taste. And there's nothing wrong with that, but some people in the Club scene really hate anything remotely different.

• Upvote 4
2 minutes ago, Koko said:

As a DJ (DJ Oro): we can't please everyone.

I lean heavily into Reggaeton, latin music and Caribbean/Dancehall/Moombahton because I know the scene but mostly because Los Angeles IRL is close to 50% Latino and it makes sense to have at least one out of our roster of maybe... 6-8? dedicated DJs that I can think of (talking about the ones who mix live) to be playing something that's not House and Dance.

There's not a single opening where I don't have people complaining IC about the music selection. Even Latino characters take time off sometimes to make passive-aggressive emotes about the music. I've had people ask IC why I don't play "Club" music multiple times, which leaves me completely speechless every time lol.

Variety exists, but some people really do want to go out to just listen to Roses forever because it's their OOC taste. And there's nothing wrong with that, but some people in the Club scene really hate anything remotely different.

It’s almost as if you’re describing a group of predominantly European people in the late teens to early 20’s who have never been part of a club scene or been to a club period...

3 minutes ago, Koko said:

Oh my god, this. I guess I am lucky for having a broad appeal on the music I play. Since I love the genre.
But people don't know how much work goes in to making a set and building a library of songs and to then have that shat on is just shitty.

1 minute ago, ChippySound said:

Oh my god, this. I guess I am lucky for having a broad appeal on the music I play. Since I love the genre.
But people don't know how much work goes in to making a set and building a library of songs and to then have that shat on is just shitty.

This. I dont ask for people to kiss the floor I tread upon, but I go as far as I can humanly go in my sets: I engage in RP, extensively use /intercom to hype the place, download requests to play, swap the set around according to the mood... All while I'm mixing live, and some people seem unaware of the work that those of us who aren't on automix are putting in.

But it is what it is, when a room is lit up, it really is a fantastic experience. Good experiences outnumber the bad.

2 minutes ago, ChippySound said:

It's a small minority, everybody that I've spoke to before loves your mixes, and I know how much work goes into mixing and creating sets too. Nothing but appreciation for people that take time and effort out of their days to sample music and form playlists which can be mixed together and provide an enjoyable environment for people to roleplay around. Music genres are subjective and not everybody has the same taste unfortunately but to shit on somebody for not liking their sets is incredibly disrespectful. You're doing a great job.

20 minutes ago, eTaylor said:

It’s almost as if you’re describing a group of predominantly European people in the late teens to early 20’s who have never been part of a club scene or been to a club period...

With the ammendement that your basement-dwellers across the pond are no inch better than ours, I agree.

I'd like to see more variety in music. It feels like nobodies trying to be unique because everyone wants to please the crowds and when the crowd is predominately European you end up with a bunch of European EDM. It's a super small pet peeve of mine but as someone who spends their summers traveling the country going to EDM festivals and shows it's pretty disappointing. In the United States most major cities have at least one "EDM Club" and that's what I'd like to see on the server. The hardcore EDM community here isn't exactly welcome in most venues given the music lacking of broader crowd appeal and a very ingrained drug culture in the scene. Sub genre's like Dubstep, Riddim, Future Riddim, Brostep, Drumstep, deathstep, Melodic Dubstep and Tearout really only have a place in EDM clubs because they are the only places the book those types of artists. The more we breakaway from every club playing to the exact same crowd, the better the club experience is going to be for everyone.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic