How the server fails to encourage roleplay over money

TinPan

37 minutes ago, Peruvian Flake said:
16 hours ago, mj2002 said:

You can approach other players for this.

Yeah, I'm not talking about loans. 

What MJ is saying (I believe) is that players themselves could develop a system of credit. After all - the point of credit is to determine the level of risk involved in loaning an individual money.

Of course, there are good reasons it hasn't happened yet. Developing reliable credit takes longer than the server has been around - much less its characters - and speeding up that process makes it fairly worthless as an indicator of reliability.

It may be convenient for you to be able to take out credit, but the state of the server is such that no investor in their right mind would spend on that.

47 minutes ago, Smilesville said:

What MJ is saying (I believe) is that players themselves could develop a system of credit. After all - the point of credit is to determine the level of risk involved in loaning an individual money.

Of course, there are good reasons it hasn't happened yet. Developing reliable credit takes longer than the server has been around - much less its characters - and speeding up that process makes it fairly worthless as an indicator of reliability.

It may be convenient for you to be able to take out credit, but the state of the server is such that no investor in their right mind would spend on that.

i don't know if this already exists in gtaw but i've seen newer (now gone) servers implementing and showcasing server-supported credit-based features such as mortgages/loans and it just never takes off as they'd hope

players instantly receive a property or car they want, and the consequence of having to make payments over time doesn't have any impact on many of them because they just won't log in, as much as you'd want to avoid the players that value assets, they'll always exist

the servers add these features because it's meant to be realistic and reduces how much players work, but in these types of servers, even if you're trying to avoid being "rpg", the journey for acquiring assets is always going to be equally if not more exciting than the assets themselves

-People cringe at me if I portray realistic emotions that might arise from interactions. Example; I've been shunned for not shooting someone because RP'ly, she got cold feet. I've had my main char CK'd because I wanted her to have some complicated shit going on through her life, to which the faction leadership didn't want to have the hassle and just CK'd me, after stealing her guns etc (Mind you, didn't even report these folk, they don't deserve my time of day, even though I had everything (Proof-wise) to do it).

-People get bored of passive RP far too easily, they go in statue mode and tab out on discord or some shit.

-People cringe at /too much/ realism, example; Try rp'ing some more "grimy" and "obscure" and "taboo" facets of life, you'll see what I mean.

-That has led me to ponder on what type of player am I interacting with? An A? Maybe a B? Or a C?
I'm forced to raise and lower my RP standards to cater for whoever I'm rp'ing with, that's not normal on a heavy rp server where keyword is HEAVY.

Now, do you really think these type of people would just give up the accomplishment of having a script item/script cash, over the wholesomeness of a fulfilling RP scene?
No, it ain' happening. You need more bans for that. Permanent bans are a /MENTALITY/ changer.
That or a sob compaign that won't guarantee results, a la slapping a full blown disclaimer "PLEASE DONT PUT MONEY OVER ROLEPLAY, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE JOURNEY".

Coming from a dude who's been perma-banned for Fail-RP some 2-3(?) yrs ago.

Edited by SezzeseParola
Typos.

2 hours ago, SezzeseParola said:

-People cringe at me if I portray realistic emotions that might arise from interactions. Example; I've been shunned for not shooting someone because RP'ly, she got cold feet. I've had my main char CK'd because I wanted her to have some complicated shit going on through her life, to which the faction leadership didn't want to have the hassle and just CK'd me, after stealing her guns etc (Mind you, didn't even report these folk, they don't deserve my time of day, even though I had everything (Proof-wise) to do it).

-People get bored of passive RP far too easily, they go in statue mode and tab out on discord or some shit.

-People cringe at /too much/ realism, example; Try rp'ing some more "grimy" and "obscure" and "taboo" facets of life, you'll see what I mean.

-That has led me to ponder on what type of player am I interacting with? An A? Maybe a B? Or a C?
I'm forced to raise and lower my RP standards to cater for whoever I'm rp'ing with, that's not normal on a heavy rp server where keyword is HEAVY.

Now, do you really think these type of people would just give up the accomplishment of having a script item/script cash, over the wholesomeness of a fulfilling RP scene?
No, it ain' happening. You need more bans for that. Permanent bans are a /MENTALITY/ changer.
That or a sob compaign that won't guarantee results, a la slapping a full blown disclaimer "PLEASE DONT PUT MONEY OVER ROLEPLAY, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE JOURNEY".

Coming from a dude who's been perma-banned for Fail-RP some 2-3(?) yrs ago.

I know man, I feel your pain.

• Wuhtah locked this topic