[LSNN] Interview with Omar Ortiz, Anthony Ramirez's lawyer speaks after his client execution; "I am against capital punishment all together. There's no human way to kill a person"

0pbGZhn.png

Interview with Omar Ortiz, Anthony Ramirez's lawyer speaks after his client execution; "I am against capital punishment all together. There's no human way to kill a person"

BY MICHAEL GOLD

Los Santos, SA. On 27th of April, 2021, the date set for the execution of Anthony Ramirez, the killer of Deputy Corner Stacy Nguyen. LSNN was able to get an exclusive interview with Omar Ortiz the lawyer of Ramirez in the LSNN studios on the day of the execution. 

02wbnbM.png

Michael Gold and Omar Ortiz in the LSNN studio

Michael Gold: Good evening Los Santos, this is Michael Gold and you are watching LSNN live. On the 4th of April, 2021, and before dawn, Anthony Ramirez was arrested by Police Officer II Eduardo Rojas, on El Rancho Boulevard, Cypress Flats. The nineteen years old was accused of killing police Officer ranked as Deputy Corner Stacy Nguyen. As stated in the autopsy record, Officer Nguyen suffered from three rifle caliber rounds to the head, with exit wounds meaning no bullet fragments were collected during the autopsy. However, one 9mm round was recovered from her abdomen area. The head caliber rounds had damaged the brain, which lead to her death.  His honor Michael McMurrary was the assigned judge of the case and District Attorney's Office Prosecutor Melanie Cromwell was the Prosecutor. 

On the 21st of April, 2021, the final hearing for State of San Andreas v. Anthony Ramirez was held in Greg E. Joplin courthouse, on Ginger Street, in Little Seoul. The defendant, Anthony Ramirez, has been indicted on the charges of First Degree Murder,  Possession of a Prohibited Firearm or Explosive Device and Discharging a firearm in public. The purpose of the hearing was for summary judgement. Ramirez throw a speech in the courtroom, while every one listened. In his speech, Ramirez plead guilty. After Mr. Ramirez's statement, Justice McMurray stated that he finds mister Ramirez guilty on all charges, then he announced a 15 minutes recess in order to debate sentencing time. 

"Now to address mister Ramirez. I find it the highest of crimes for you to take a life of one of our peace officers of this great state. Due to the gravity of these crimes and your complete disregard at the time the total lack of care for life and the highly violent nature of the murder, this court sentences you to Capital Punishment, death by lethal injection", said Justice McMurray, announcing Ramirez's punishment.

Today 27th of April, 2021, is the day Ramirez was executed. And today we have in the studio Mister Omar Ortiz, Ramirez lawyer. Welcome Mister Ortiz.

Omar Ortiz: Thank you, Mister Gold. It's a pleasure to be here with you today.

Michael Gold: Mister Ortiz, first we would like to know how were you approached and by whom to take the case?

Omar Ortiz: I was approached by the partner of Mister Ramirez. She reached out, extremely sick with worry as you could imagine.

Michael Gold: Accepting such a case with very narrow chance of winning, is very difficult to accept, let me first show my admiration for you stepping to take such a case. Can you please tell us why did you accept it? Knowing that losing is more probable.

Omar Ortiz:  Well, Mister Gold. A case isn't just about winning or losing. It's about the individual. Mister Ramirez certainly had a tough life, he went through things that you could probably not even fathom. The case to me, wasn't about winning. It was about ensuring Mister Ramirez had a fair trial, as he's entitled to like every other citizen within this great state.

Michael Gold: Speaking of which, do you believe Mister Ramirez had a fair trial?

Omar Ortiz: I believe from a legal standpoint, his trial was fair yes. Although I am firmly against capital punishment.

Michael Gold: Are you against the capital punishment in this specific trial or in general Mister Ortiz?

Omar Ortiz: I am against capital punishment all together. There's no human way to kill a person. The lethal injection can take awhile to actually bring about a persons death, it can take multiple doses. It is also stated to, likely be rather painful. Not only that, it makes a public spectacle of the persons death. An entire nation watching your death. Regardless of the crime, any execution violates a persons right to life. Mister Ramirez was expecting his first child, a son. This child will never meet their father. Their only knowledge of their own father will be nation spread news articles of his death. It's barbaric, to say the least. 

Michael Gold: Some citizens, who would be on the opposite side, seeing the capital punishment is just justice, they would say that the officer as well might have children that will never see her again because of Mister Ramirez act of extreme violence against her, and they would be in favor of executing him, to bring justice to the lady. Don't you believe that this opinion is correct as well?

Omar Ortiz: My heart goes out to the family of the officer. That is without a doubt. I can't even begin to imagine how they are feeling. Yet growing up, my mother always told me that two wrongs don't make a right. Mister Ramirez would of faced justice within the prison system. Yet he wasn't given that chance, he was murdered. The only difference being his murder carried a seal of approval. Incarceration is supposed to be about two things. The first being justice, the second being rehabilitation. Yet with capital punishment, neither of these are achieved. The only thing accomplished was revenge. 

Michael Gold: This will lead us to the rehabilitation topic. I can say from your words that you are supporting it and you want to see the state pushing it forward, how do see this system will add value to our community?

Omar Ortiz: I feel work is definitely needed in terms of rehabilitation. As of current, the prison system within our state is focused more around the punishment and breaking down of incarcerated individuals.  Yet what I believe we should be doing is working with these individuals and building them up to a point they can once again be a positive and functional member of general society. If you look at the countries where this outlook on incarceration is supported, you will see they have much lower rates of re-offending. Our current system puts these individuals at a much greater risk of re-offending. To put it in perspective, look at the case of Toa Asau. A homeless child, living on the streets with no food or water. Yet we put him to trial- as an adult. We then sentenced him as an adult. We placed him in an adult facility, within the same holding unit as adults. We are the only western nation that does such things.

Michael Gold: Point proven mister Ortiz. Now let's go back to the day of the final hearing.  We all saw Ramirez having a statement that he prepared trying to convince the judge and the courtroom that he has changed. 

"I'm a reformed man. The US rehabilitation programs really did come through. I'm closer to my God. I went through tens, maybe hundreds of books. You can confirm that I've been on good behavior. I'm really a reformed man. I think, with the rehabilitation I've been through, I can be once again be a productive member of society. I hate myself for what I did. I think about it day and night. It's nothing I thought I'd be capable of doing. There's not much more to be said. Your honor. I plead guilty. I was caught on camera. I only ask the courts for mercy with my sentencing and a second chance at life. I'm still young and have a lot to look forward to" Stated Ramirez. 

Ramirez plead guilty on that day, and even the judge re-asked him about it. Were you the one behind this move mister Ortiz? How did you two co-ordinate? We saw you support him by patting his back after he finished.

Omar Ortiz: First of all, that speech was not prepared. Mister Ramirez stood up and spoke on the spot from his heart. Mister Ramirez made his own decision to speak to the people within the courtroom. He was also true in his words. He had changed, he had found faith within the system, attending church and reading books from the library. He became very interested in earning an education, on better himself as a person. Mister Ramirez- before being placed within the system, faced a number of difficulties. Addiction, notably. Yet he had come to accept this. He was ready to admit this. He was at a stage, where he was able to progress and own up to his actions. Mister Ramirez really did regret his actions. He was torturing himself on a daily basis. He found it hard to live with what he had done. This was the first time he had ever been convicted of a violent crime like that. Yet he didn't try to hide from it. He was ready to face it. That was the only purpose of his speech. To express his emotions to the courtroom, he was after all, human just like the rest of us.

Michael Gold: Sir are you the one who advised him to plea guilty in that courtroom?

Omar Ortiz: Mister Ramirez made the decision himself and I'll admit, I was proud of him.

Michael Gold: Such a big case that took all that media coverage, how do you feel after losing the case? And are you still in contact with the family?

Omar Ortiz: I spoke to Mister Ramirez' partner before coming here. I expressed my condolences and checked that they were comfortable with us discussing his trial and punishment on the news today. I will remain in contact with them and offer my support. The loss of the case means nothing to me, the loss of Anthony Ramirez' life does.

Michael Gold: We send our condolences to both families for their loss. Human being life is very precious, and needs to be kept always as that. This interview with the first public speech of Mister Ortiz after the last hearing of the case. You have seen it exclusive on our screen, LSNN. Thank you for being with us mister Ortiz.

Omar Ortiz: Thank you for having me, Mister Gold.

Michael Gold: So, Los Santos this was all what we have for tonight. I am Michael Gold, you were watching LSNN live. Our aim is to keep you always informed, it is your RIGHT to KNOW.

3jwUUYH.png

GcuVgZg.png

• Upvote 4
10 hours ago, Aza Vargas said:

Username: MaxinePayne

Comment: There is a humane way to kill someone, he just didn't deserve it.

Username: Discount Channing
Comment: Oh yea. Absolutely. He killed a Deputy in the most brutal way. No way THAT GOOD MAN deserved it

Username: CitizenSam

Comment: The majority of the people responding seem to have no emotional integrity nor comprehension of human actions. I was born in the ghetto. It's a fucking disaster. The moment you're in on the dumbest charges, you're stuck there for life. Every background check will fuck you over. You're never making it anywhere past a bouncer as a steady career. Addiction is rampant. You know how many anti-addiction and rehabilitation centers we have regularly available? ZERO. My closest fucking friend died because of his addiction and mental health issues. And here lies the end result of this lack of care. A ghetto-born teenage good-for-nothing gang banger that shoots a cop and has his own life taken rather than be rehabilitated.

The system is meant to show these kids hope. Teach them how to be happy without having to resort to violence. Make them self sustainable. Educate them on how to lead healthy lives. What fucking purpose did Anthony Ramirez's death serve? Who in their right mind believes any fucking gang banger will see this and go "oh no, guess it's time to stop my violent crimes"?

Capital punishment does not speak to people that already live in a constant cycle of risking their lives through habitual violent crimes that they themselves do not know how to escape. Anthony had already shown remorse. He had already shown desire to improve. Sure, maybe he was lying, but what if he wasn't? What if he would have stepped out there and was educated? Why was he killed? Who did his murder speak to?

This was nothing but the state murdering a citizen to avenge the state itself. This is nothing but oligarchy at best. Many people die to violent offenders with no capital punishment, and yet this is the one to finally get the injection? A literal teenager, a CHILD? So that cops can go around and feel worthy? 

Did the sanctioned murder of Anthony Ramirez bring Stacy Nguyen back from the dead?

19 hours ago, maramizo said:

Username: CitizenSam

Comment: The majority of the people responding seem to have no emotional integrity nor comprehension of human actions. I was born in the ghetto. It's a fucking disaster. The moment you're in on the dumbest charges, you're stuck there for life. Every background check will fuck you over. You're never making it anywhere past a bouncer as a steady career. Addiction is rampant. You know how many anti-addiction and rehabilitation centers we have regularly available? ZERO. My closest fucking friend died because of his addiction and mental health issues. And here lies the end result of this lack of care. A ghetto-born teenage good-for-nothing gang banger that shoots a cop and has his own life taken rather than be rehabilitated.

The system is meant to show these kids hope. Teach them how to be happy without having to resort to violence. Make them self sustainable. Educate them on how to lead healthy lives. What fucking purpose did Anthony Ramirez's death serve? Who in their right mind believes any fucking gang banger will see this and go "oh no, guess it's time to stop my violent crimes"?

Capital punishment does not speak to people that already live in a constant cycle of risking their lives through habitual violent crimes that they themselves do not know how to escape. Anthony had already shown remorse. He had already shown desire to improve. Sure, maybe he was lying, but what if he wasn't? What if he would have stepped out there and was educated? Why was he killed? Who did his murder speak to?

This was nothing but the state murdering a citizen to avenge the state itself. This is nothing but oligarchy at best. Many people die to violent offenders with no capital punishment, and yet this is the one to finally get the injection? A literal teenager, a CHILD? So that cops can go around and feel worthy? 

Did the sanctioned murder of Anthony Ramirez bring Stacy Nguyen back from the dead?

Username: StraightOuttaSouthCentral

Comment: mans spittin facts. respect.

• Shvag locked this topic
  • Wuhtah unlocked this topic