Eating and drinking being a necessity

Antheia

I feel like the game is missing a huge part, the simple act of needing food and water to survive. I'm not sure about any of you, but I find that I have a plethora of food and drink in my property inventory that simply goes untouched because I forget I've even made the purchase in the first place.  The idea of needing substance to continue on would be beneficial for many reasons. One would be to have a reason to purchase food and drink to actually use and also gives an avenue to the people who want to open restaurants and not clubs. Right now it seems like clubs and bars are a huge place to create rp. I think people would be more inclined to step out of that light and start making restaurants and other businesses that revolve around the food industry because of the simple demand of it. I also think this could make use of the, Attack-A-Taco, Burger Shot, Cluckin Bell making them open businesses like the clothing and convenience stores where anyone can join by simply doing the Bjoin option. This would create a new realm of rp for many and for those just starting out in the gta world. Work at a fast food place, and move your way up in the world.

What do you think? Think this could be a good mechanic added in the game?

I know the drug system works via addiction to where you'll be at around 50% health if you don't take the drug you're addicted to, I can't see too much of a problem with it working the same way with food and drink, could be a fun little way of getting items used in-game and bringing a rise in need for restaurants and fast food places alike. 

I don't really find this viable. As said, been suggested and denied before. Main issue I see here is, that people hate being forced to do something. Sure it will add to realism, but then so did countless "survival" games, where you end up drinking and eating every hour. Nopes, no one wants that, I guess. Perhaps make a check each 24 hours if the need was met? Maybe add some downside to it, like slower running or something?

Edited by Engelbert
1 minute ago, Antheia said:

Perhaps it wouldn't be a quick drain system? Maybe its just small ticks every hour or so. I understand how tedious it could be, but not having to eat doesn't seem to make sense either. 

Yes, but you don't eat every hour right? These ticks in other games happen every 60 minutes exactly, which is not really fun.

I completely agree, it's not a survival game, and yes it would be tedious to have to eat every hour. I'm more thinking of the ways of opening up other places to roleplay at and creating other stories for those who don't want to work at the most saturated areas mainly being clubs and bars. 

I love the idea of giving perks like they do with the drug system. Maybe the player would get some sort of bonus for eating and drinking. 

6 minutes ago, Beholder said:

It's an RP server not a RPG Survival game. At most, I would like to see eating food offer some benefits, but no penalties. 

This pretty much.

When we played Persistent World on warband years ago, or other like minded games such as Rust that derived from this design, acquiring or producing the food was a challenge on its own (regardless wether you aimed to produce or acquire).

In a setting where I have a full fridge (mine's actually stocked ic, but you get me), and Burger Shot or Rafi's Kebab are around the corner to feed me for spare change, there's barely a point in demanding food consumation from players, as there's no challenge behind it.

17 minutes ago, Lewis. said:

could be a fun little way of getting items used in-game and bringing a rise in need for restaurants and fast food places alike. 

This is really the only point, speaking of points. And worth considering regardless what I said above, though I'm as much with the quote above as that ideally food shouldprovide benefits, not penalties.

Then again having seen in the mod mentioned above years ago, if health is set to 50%for everyone (or whatever value) and food raises it to 100% that'll simply become the norm.

The last question is food distribution then. With such a system mandatory we'd need optionsto get food 24/7 ic even when no player ran businesses open.

If it comes downto donuts and tacos in the end the whole system is vain.

• mj2002 locked this topic