Communities instead of factions

Lurleen

I second what @.Georgesays. My char is as caucasian as caucasian can get and I literally don’t feel at home... or safe for that matter in many areas around LS.

Little Seoul is generally more open than others, but it is 100% their korean neighbourhood and that energy radiates. Same with El Burro, Strawberry & Grove Street which in the latter case I dare not even venture. I’ll get my white ass handed to me in no time.

My character has strong opinions about this, and he has them for good reason. There are plenty of vivid communities and cultural clashes. He sticks to Vinewood, Rockford Hills, Mirror Park, Vespucci, Pillbox Hill etc because that’s his type community and people.

Communities are strong, and factions within communities are complementary to development of the two. Both do and should exist in my opinion.

Edited by Arnzeal
9 hours ago, Свето said:

Communities often form around factions, just take a look at @dxrkside and @shiroq's faction as an example

So I will give my two cents on this, as I've had experience while with a small community but in the past we definitively had one within W/S Armenian Power.

The real issue is that people think that they need to be part of a faction to roleplay around them or be part of the "community" Which couldn't be further from the truth. You can simply make a character and roleplay in that area, now people say such things "oh my characters gets robbed by this gang so on and that I don't want to rp around gangs" While this issue certainly exists but in most cases gangs will not bother local people, and just because they are criminals and you are a civilian it does not mean that you have to be a criminal yourself and interact with them. I will give an example of Vespucci currently, while it had some issues recently it has improved a lot while the core of Vespucci "community" is currently gangs but in general if you don't act like an idiot being a "Vespucci Local" you won't have any issue with either Hispanics or White gang rpers.

People should be roleplaying around gangs more if they want a "community" There is a huge misconception that you have to be a criminal to be around those factions that's wrong. Nobody will force you to do things that you don't want, if factions that you roleplay around are doing some unrealistic things then simply faction report them.

If you are unsure about things you should also reach out to faction leaders and simply ask questions "hey i want to rp around this area/faction but I don't want to be a criminal" and they will help you with ideas or pointers, because from leading factions myself and being part of factions I know that most factions are more than happy to have civilians around them as long as you are willing to match their standards in roleplay they will rp with you.

Actual communities would be more present if people would simply start roleplaying around factions of their choosing without actually joining them, especially gangs. IRL there are a lot of civilians around gangs because of their street presence, gang members brush shoulders with locals all the time because they are location based. Weather it's Armenian, Hispanic, White, Black or Asian there are many good factions to choose from where you could start a civilian character and simply rp around those people without getting involved in crime. Knowing a criminal does not make you one, hanging out with a criminal does not make you one either, people need to get over this barrier.

Edited by shiroq
  • Upvote 3
9 hours ago, Arnzeal said:

Same with El Burro,

You could theoretically come hang out in El Burro and no one would bother you, depending on what you're doing. There are plenty of civilians that come and go out of El Burro and generally don't get bothered unless it's by some of the rambunctious youth causing a little mischief.

Will you get asked where you're from and if/what you bang? 100%. But if you say "Oh I live on Upper Fudge, I don't bang bro." You'll probably be just fine. 

50 minutes ago, Kaxo said:

You could theoretically come hang out in El Burro and no one would bother you, depending on what you're doing. There are plenty of civilians that come and go out of El Burro and generally don't get bothered unless it's by some of the rambunctious youth causing a little mischief.

Will you get asked where you're from and if/what you bang? 100%. But if you say "Oh I live on Upper Fudge, I don't bang bro." You'll probably be just fine. 

You are right, the energy is a bit different in El Burro but generally I can visit without problems. It’s good though, that it has its own thing. My statement was more aimed towards Strawberry and Grove Street in particular. I’ve not properly visited that street in 2 years now. And last time I ended up there was because of vehicle spawn bug with sent me there. I got chased with bats soon as a group saw me in a casual suit.

All was fine when it was explained but you know, the statement stands.

Edited by Arnzeal
1 hour ago, shiroq said:

Actual communities would be more present if people would simply start roleplaying around factions of their choosing without actually joining them, especially gangs. IRL there are a lot of civilians around gangs because of their street presence, gang members brush shoulders with locals all the time because they are location based.

This. Most people do not have an understanding of how LA gang culture works or don't care to learn about it. You can get pressed with just about anything. Most gang members leave locals alone but there will always be at least one of them that are extra as fuck and will press you for the sake of their ego. Simply being respectful, not wearing the wrong shit in their hood (Which if you're roleplaying living there, your character would know) and showing that you have no gang ties and are just a civ goes a far way. 

Now obviously that requires those portraying gangs in that area to have the same understanding but typically they do. People should also understand that if you're of a certain race living in a neighborhood where you're the minority, you might get treated differently because of it and that's okay, learn to deal with that on an IC level or again if you're choosing to roleplay the community aspect of this maybe see if the inhabitants are black/white/hispanic etc and make a character that generally fits what people are trying to go for. Too many times I've seen people roleplaying being a big earner in a low income area with flashy cars and expect to not get preyed on. 

Overall shiroq's points are spot on. 

21 hours ago, mj2002 said:

I don't think there's anything stopping you from doing this at this moment, right? You can make an unofficial group thread, and/or a Discord server, etc. What more would be needed?

I think a Neighborhoods section on the forums would be cool! See what's popin' in each neighborhood and what looks good. 😄 

4 minutes ago, The Midnight said:

I think a Neighborhoods section on the forums would be cool! See what's popin' in each neighborhood and what looks good. 😄 

See, this is what I was talking about, and maybe faction thread and business threads would be inside each neighborhood section. It would give communities more visibility. 

11 hours ago, Lurleen said:

See, this is what I was talking about, and maybe faction thread and business threads would be inside each neighborhood section. It would give communities more visibility. 

Nope. Factions stay under their respective sections. Sure, if a thread is created for a certain neighborhood, they can link the factions operating in the neighborhood, but moving faction topics wouldn't really make it better plus harder to manage. What happens to factions that operate in multiple turfs? They can't really have a split thread for all the neighborhoods they're in. This would work for gangs, but not for all the factions.

I guess the idea itself isn't as bad as I initially thought. It'd give people the opportunity to skim through the posts and see what happened, who got shot and how it occurred. This would also work as a discord community, but it definitely requires people to be ready to work with a discord and moderate it to ensure that everything in there is well kempt. I would personally not go for it though, as I do not see it being a thing used in long term, but rather a innovative short-term addition.

• Wuhtah locked this topic