Communities instead of factions

Lurleen

I'm creating this thread after reading about the fuss someone made after a similar faction got approved as official instead of theirs. While I don't know any of those two faction members, I started to think about the faction system as a whole. Factions are good to organize roleplay in different branches and to show that roleplay in their respective forum thread, but I think they end up segmentating the roleplay a lot. A faction is a specific thing, a street gang, a MC, a mob, etc. Civilians, who aren't part of any LEO or official faction, and don't want to be a gang member, biker or mobster are usually left in a limbo. Also factions are usually led by people who are OOC friends and they sometimes end up dying when those people stop playing.

I understand that factions come from SAMP servers and they've always worked fine, but I'd think factions should evolve into communities. Little Seoul could be an example of that. A community would be a wider group of people, from different backgrounds and interests, who share some things in common and a specific location in the map. A community could have different sub groups, interacting with each other. A specific area can have a couple of gangs, a biker club, local residents, legal businesses, etc. Within a community there can be friendships, rivalries, drama. But everyone should share the same OOC goal of creating a realistic and complex area to roleplay.

For example, Instead of having different italian mobs popping up and then vanishing, you could have a Little Italy neigborhood, where different families coexist, either peacfuly or not, struggling for power, also living with civilians, offereing different kind of RP. Same could happen in any other area of the map. I'm just giving my two cents here. I think organizing the rolepaly in communities instead of factions would be helpful to create more variety and deeper connections.

Another Example, let's say Sandy Shores, it could perfectly be a community, having a biker gang, hippies, legal business owners, a tourist agency, Police officers who happen to live there. Instead of segmentating those in different factions / groups, Sandy Shores would have its own thread, own discord group, etc.

Edited by Lurleen
  • Upvote 4
  • Applaud 2

You're allowed to produce factions that are communities. Tongva Nation was one, as it had gangs, bikers, junkies, tribal councilmen, shamans etc... You also have threads that are dedicated to communities, as-well, consisting of countless factions and factionless characters, as-well.

Edited by DLimit

What DLimit said.

As opposed to on SAMP, on here, a faction can really be...Anything. A group, a community, anything that involves more than one participant that continously roleplay and showcase it on their thread. Hell, you can make a faction for people in wheelchairs.

While it would be cool to see more of these, there's already a few of them on the server. A good example is Little Seoul/K-Town where there's mobsters, gangbangers, and legal civilians all in the same area and all interacting with one another. I've been RPing in Sandy Shores and from what I've seen there's a big community atmosphere there with both legal and illegal RPers. 

3 hours ago, Lurleen said:

I'm creating this thread after reading about the fuss someone made after a similar faction got approved as official instead of theirs. While I don't know any of those two faction members, I started to think about the faction system as a whole. Factions are good to organize roleplay in different branches and to show that roleplay in their respective forum thread, but I think they end up segmentating the roleplay a lot. A faction is a specific thing, a street gang, a MC, a mob, etc. Civilians, who aren't part of any LEO or official faction, and don't want to be a gang member, biker or mobster are usually left in a limbo. Also factions are usually led by people who are OOC friends and they sometimes end up dying when those people stop playing.

I understand that factions come from SAMP servers and they've always worked fine, but I'd think factions should evolve into communities. Little Seoul could be an example of that. A community would be a wider group of people, from different backgrounds and interests, who share some things in common and a specific location in the map. A community could have different sub groups, interacting with each other. A specific area can have a couple of gangs, a biker club, local residents, legal businesses, etc. Within a community there can be friendships, rivalries, drama. But everyone should share the same OOC goal of creating a realistic and complex area to roleplay.

For example, Instead of having different italian mobs popping up and then vanishing, you could have a Little Italy neigborhood, where different families coexist, either peacfuly or not, struggling for power, also living with civilians, offereing different kind of RP. Same could happen in any other area of the map. I'm just giving my two cents here. I think organizing the rolepaly in communities instead of factions would be helpful to create more variety and deeper connections.

Another Example, let's say Sandy Shores, it could perfectly be a community, having a biker gang, hippies, legal business owners, a tourist agency, Police officers who happen to live there. Instead of segmentating those in different factions / groups, Sandy Shores would have its own thread, own discord group, etc.

Back on LSRP, my group did this. We literally made a Fort Carson thread and roleplayed as a community made up of all of the factions and groups within the area. We allowed anyone to post on our thread but the main content providers were those who simply roleplayed as locals with there own story and history. I think @Hollywood Boulevard @Éireann &  @Phased will agree that the period we held that faction was probably our most enjoyable period in our time roleplaying on GTA roleplay servers.

10 minutes ago, Lurleen said:

Well, I never said I couldn't do it, or that doesn't exist. But the common thing is to organize roleplay in factions. It'd be nice that different factions roleplaying in a single area decided to merge into some sort of community.

They can and they do. For example Habeeb Taxi had very close links with Mount Gordo Brewery as it was just down the road. We had some great RP and tried to set up a community watch thing with various other businesses in the area. The dealership in Sandy, Palmers etc but I liked it because it all happened organically IG rather than having it paraded around on the forums. I like it when things happen IG and people find out about things IG rather than the forums. Habeeb Taxi has been around a very long time and I don't have a faction / group thread. 

Edited by Late

K-town has been a consistent community for last year or so, especially with addition of Little Tokyo and MS-13 (defunct as of few days ago) so there's no reason in saying that (multicultural) communities don't exist.

I also believe that Meng and LS Triads are doing good job keeping New Chinatown as a open community as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Wuhtah locked this topic