New Official Legal faction idea: Office

Lurleen

Poll  

63 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

it's a niche role-play, it would be better to join above mentioned factions for such role-play instead of trying to make a yet another faction for niche office role-play. been there, done that - people need to have proper characters for that and certain degree of knowledge. on top of that? it has to be profitable so there's funds to pay salaries and bizes that make 20-40k per opening won't really come to you asking for managerial advice. 

Eh... people play this game to escape real life.
I don't think actual office work will be much fun to Roleplay even though it's realistic and all.
More of an office-life RP could potentially work?
Or if the actual 'work' RP are just usage of /me and not actual paperworks?

A co-working space would add an office roleplay environment for literally everyone who's interested in that, but maybe that's something people should pursue ICly. 

WeWork Los Santos.

Edited by MotionSickness
  • Upvote 1

All of our factions have a purpose on an in-character level. An "office" faction would not. A company needs to have a field of activity. It has to do something, otherwise what is the point of having a company?

However, we already have office jobs. There's plenty of them around already. I can give you a personal example - one of my character currently works as an assistant branch manager for a logistics company. The office culture exists, there is a hierarchy, there are meetings, there is a finance department, a human resources department, a management ladder that you can climb up and down. There's tons of possibilities and it's not even a concept. On a larger scale, there are lots of companies and factions offering similar opportunities. If you can't find something that you like, you can always create your own!

Having such faction would be detrimental and make no sense on an in-character level though.

• 2 months later...

I'll revive this, in order to get more ideas and reactions since I'd like this one to exist or actually be a part of it's creation. I'm not talking about the office job as a part of already existing businesses, but an actual company which serves a purpose, uses the office as their main workplace.

We've seen such offices in TV shows already, some of us works in some of those in real life. I'm not talking an office place with five desks et cetera, I'm talking about an office place as large as 10-15 small hubs and large assignments for groups of people, regular meetings and strategies to create profit for company. You wouldn't need high qualifications in order to join those; you would only need very basic skills of communication and some sort of community college degree. Maybe marketing, maybe an employment center, maybe something more creative; but an actual office faction for legal roleplaying could be good.

Factions need to exist with the goal of having an impact on the server.

Few people have said way back in 2017 that there should be data entry jobs because the only jobs that were available (at the time) were fishing and mining. Two ancient jobs that you'd find on something like Black Desert Online or maybe Norway.

White collar roleplay should definitely be a thing, but to have a faction based entirely on white collar roleplay? Probably not. ULSA exists because the buildings already exist, but also because they have some kind of impact on the server - a lot of members of the faction might be immature or preppy, and they go out to clubs and add a different flavour to the environment.

With office-based factions, they wouldn't have much of an impact on anyone. People who go to university carry their status as part of their identity, but office workers, for the most part, see themselves as drones and they don't have much of an attachment or identity to their job. At the end of the day, they forget their work the moment they leave the building.

I do understand your point about the social aspects of office work lifestyle, but if anything, we should utilise the buildings we have in downtown LS, and instead rent out floorspaces to companies, as someone else has suggested earlier. I doubt they would be used, however, as there wouldn't be any actual "work" to do — if anything the "work" would be forum work, which could just be done offline without going in-game. I definitely do want to see it happen, but realistically I don't see how.

On 4/21/2021 at 4:25 PM, HaveADream said:

I wouldn't mind the idea if done well, the issue is that this usually ends up with thirty players roleplaying luxury lifestyles producing nothing to the economy other than what their namechanged characters had earned a few years ago and buying up every business in the state.

This. Also echoing what others have said: a faction of professionals has to produce something other than to be the playground for water cooler RP. Especially if you present it as a "legal faction" (which in this server tends to imply it's funded by the Government). The exception to this is ULSA, in which Students get (pretty tiny) paychecks simply because joining the faction keeps them from the unemployment hourly money.

If you want office RP you can become a data analyst for any business already existing. But if you want some sort of business environment, you could always become Civilian staff for an LEO (we're hiring at the Park Rangers) or an Administrator at PHMC (a position that is 99% office work and nobody lasts over a month in).

• Wuhtah locked this topic