Turn rain chances UP again

Kappaurel

3 hours ago, Alyssa McCarthy said:

Does it really and with any regularity? I don't think it does & you'll be looking at some very extreme examples to find them. I certainly think it's a waste of time scripting freak weather conditions that happen less than once every few years. The amount of rain we had in December on the server was more rain than LA has seen in decades.

There is a reason California has huge problems facing it with water shortages, a desert on it's doorstep and seasonal problem with dry forest fires. 

So far this month, downtown LA has measured 0.02 inches in rain (or 0.5mm), which is basically less than a few minutes of shower on a single day. To compare this to London, London had 50x this amount of rain in a single day this very month.... (and it's not even been that wet in the uk!)

It  simply does not rain for huge periods of time & on the sparse occasion it does, it's a very brief shower which is gone as quick as it started.

When it does rain, it's often gone as quick as it started. I've stood outdoors in LA, felt the rain on my arms & looked up, but before I've even had chance to decide what to do about it, or even time to walk across the road, the rain has stopped.

That's the reality of summers in Los Angeles & outside of some extreme edge cases, rain is minimal (read, for all intents and purposes non-existent) over the summer months.

We're not Los Angeles. We're a fictional, sunny state on the West Coast. Also an island, when it comes to Los Santos County. It's not worth bottlenecking our options of roleplay to the real life equivalent. It's the same story with people telling ULSA to only roleplay sports during their appropriate seasons. You change it for the benefit of roleplay, but it doesn't make any sense on a scale of the greater United States, not just comparing to UCLA.

3 hours ago, Triple Seven said:

I probably mentioned this before. But before we have at least some sort of forecast, hell no. (and no /weather is not a forecast)

If they're going to bake up a custom weather script that doesn't rely on real weather patterns, which may make a lot of sense considering our 'real' weather system has made it a very mild summer, then it would be advisable for them to pre-bake the forecast system into it. The script would simply have to do the math for x day in advance and maybe have a level of error.

Would also mean people wouldn't have as much 'rain on their parade' if they knew 7 days in advance the script was going to give them rain, or smog, or whatever.

• Applaud 1
21 hours ago, Wisci said:

We're not Los Angeles. We're a fictional, sunny state on the West Coast. Also an island, when it comes to Los Santos County. It's not worth bottlenecking our options of roleplay to the real life equivalent. It's the same story with people telling ULSA to only roleplay sports during their appropriate seasons. You change it for the benefit of roleplay, but it doesn't make any sense on a scale of the greater United States, not just comparing to UCLA.

If they're going to bake up a custom weather script that doesn't rely on real weather patterns, which may make a lot of sense considering our 'real' weather system has made it a very mild summer, then it would be advisable for them to pre-bake the forecast system into it. The script would simply have to do the math for x day in advance and maybe have a level of error.

Would also mean people wouldn't have as much 'rain on their parade' if they knew 7 days in advance the script was going to give them rain, or smog, or whatever.

Wisci makes some good additions to this proposed tweak of rain chances, and I think their idea is the more fleshed out, which I would love to see.

Would love to see Wisci's ideas implemented, am for what Kappaurel has mentioned.

• Wuhtah locked this topic