Jump to content

Real Estate Scheme scamming and rule 10 - Infinite Money Glitch


Recommended Posts

Greetings,

 

 

I originally created this thread on general discussion, but ended up getting a Forum warning point and the thread (+ my hard worked text inside) removed by an administrator who shall remain unnamed to avoid getting another warning (to my understanding he/she handled most of the reports regarding this scheme)

 

 

 

While I was listening to my professor ramble about business information management, something in the report player section sparked my interest.

 

A player, we shall name him Debbie_Maxdebt, in GTA W had gathered many loans from almost up to 10 players, the amounts ranging from 75k to 300k per investor. After acquiring these investments, he decided to purchase properties, vehicles and gamble the rest of the money -> and then get CK'ed.

 

The investors proceeded to report this player and post refund requests for their lost amounts, and were refunded. Rule 10 makes this possible.

 

So in the end, all this money was basically doubled, and only Debbie_Maxdebt was left in debt. But does the debt matter? No.

You can purchase more characters from UCP for 200 WP each, and potentially continue this loop eternally. The character apparently can't be deleted because of the debt, but is there a rule in place that forces him to do the trucker job until he is out of debt?

 

 

So my question is, what is stopping someone from doing this over and over again, gathering investors with 1,000,000$ each and therefore injecting infinite amount of money to the system, only leaving Debbie_Maxdebt and other "scheme organizers" in infinite debt.

 

 

TL;DR:

 

 

Player A loans Debbie_Maxdebt 1,000,000$

 

Debbie_Maxdebt loses 1,000,000$ to player B in blackjack

 

Debbie_Maxdebt gets murked by the Mafia and gets CK'ed

 

Player A posts a refund request because of Rule 10 clause

 

Player A gets his 1,000,000$ back

 

Player B keeps his 1,000,000$

 

Debbie_Maxdebt gets -1,000,000$ debt and never plays that character again

 

 

Now the original 1,000,000$ has been duplicated to 2,000,000$ and the only downside is that Debbie_Maxdebt is placed in debt of -1,000,000$, but this money will never get paid back because there is no rule to enforce that

 

 

 

Thoughts?

 

 

 

 

E: Removed the reports

 

 

Edited by Toihin816
Link to comment

They money isn't being duplicated though - refunding the $1,000,000 means subtracting it from the other person's new character.

 

Regarding investments, they should be treated as loans. If someone wants to give $1,000,000 to a random stranger who says they'll double it in an hour, too bad. In this case it's the fault of whoever went for something like this, not the scammer's. Such scams would never work if people didn't fall for them. 

Link to comment
19 minutes ago, Entity said:

Regarding investments, they should be treated as loans. If someone wants to give $1,000,000 to a random stranger who says they'll double it in an hour, too bad. In this case it's the fault of whoever went for something like this, not the scammer's. Such scams would never work if people didn't fall for them. 

In the real world this counts, as there's institutions (banks etc.) in place to observe money flow.

If my money stems from a loan, when I want to purchase a house, this estate will mortgaged until I pay off my debt, for instance.

 

In gtaw and other like minded games things work differently, though.

To stick with the example, the party selling the indebted character a house received no warning whatsoever that the purchasing party financed this purchase through borrowed money.

Furthermore, if things don't go their way (i.e. the money being gambled away and them approached to pay back, byforce or legally), persons like this will just nc their Dump version of Bernie Maddoff, opposed to actually deal with the consequences of their own actions in any way.

 

Opposed to shove fault on the scammed parties scammers need to be upheld to higher standards, imo- such as actually offering people rp (and if it comes down to "Sorry,I blew your money").

 

Imho a case for RPGM, as only refunding the victims, and not punishing those who bend the rules, encourages the later to try again just without to specifically do whatever the admin picked out as reason to void a situation in what's actually a pile of shit that should be cleaned up, not just returned to its original owner.

Link to comment
48 minutes ago, knppel said:

In the real world this counts, as there's institutions (banks etc.) in place to observe money flow.

If my money stems from a loan, when I want to purchase a house, this estate will mortgaged until I pay off my debt, for instance.

 

In gtaw and other like minded games things work differently, though.

To stick with the example, the party selling the indebted character a house received no warning whatsoever that the purchasing party financed this purchase through borrowed money.

Furthermore, if things don't go their way (i.e. the money being gambled away and them approached to pay back, byforce or legally), persons like this will just nc their Dump version of Bernie Maddoff, opposed to actually deal with the consequences of their own actions in any way.

 

Opposed to shove fault on the scammed parties scammers need to be upheld to higher standards, imo- such as actually offering people rp (and if it comes down to "Sorry,I blew your money").

 

Imho a case for RPGM, as only refunding the victims, and not punishing those who bend the rules, encourages the later to try again just without to specifically do whatever the admin picked out as reason to void a situation in what's actually a pile of shit that should be cleaned up, not just returned to its original owner.

This should be approached on a case by case basis as not all incidents are the same. I totally agree with it though, players namechanging during an active loan for malicious reasons (being caught, getting a new character to do it again etc.) should not only have to pay the money back but also face administrative punishment. I am not talking about people who are CKed by others or have actual circumstances leading up to their characters' deaths.

 

The risk should be equal for both parties involved though. The scammer should not have an easy way out while the scammed party should face a risk. Even if there are certain mechanisms in place to prevent such incidents, we do not have that in-game and NPCing a complex banking system and financial institutions would be a very play-to-win solution to this problem. If someone believes that the random person at the bar can actually double their money and give them a million dollars on the spot, they should realize there's a huge risk they are not getting that money back. Otherwise investments, a complex and risky area in real life, would become the safest way to make money - either invest in a valid scheme and get a profit or get scammed and receive your money back because getting scammed wouldn't be possible in real life.  

Link to comment
2 hours ago, Entity said:

They money isn't being duplicated though - refunding the $1,000,000 means subtracting it from the other person's new character.

 

Regarding investments, they should be treated as loans. If someone wants to give $1,000,000 to a random stranger who says they'll double it in an hour, too bad. In this case it's the fault of whoever went for something like this, not the scammer's. Such scams would never work if people didn't fall for them. 

Valid points, but please check this thread out.

 

 

 

There is no risks in cases like this, where most likely the sceheme organizer and his/her victims know each other OOC.

 

Basically, you just need Alexander_Ace with 100k.

Alexander_Ace invests 100k to Sam_Scammer.

Sam_Scammer plays blacjack with another OOC friend, Will_Winner and loses 100k to him.

Sam_Scammer gets CK'ed by anyone for whatever bullshit reason to validate a CK.

Alexander_Ace makes a refund request for 100k validated by Rule 10 clause.

Will_Winner keeps his 100k -> (this was later debunked by Nervous, who stated that they will go thru the logs and wipe all the money)

Sam_Scammer gets placed in a debt of -100k, but why does it matter? He has 2 other characters and can purchase more with 200wp each.

 

 

 

Link to comment

Exactly my point, such behaviour doesn't need to be limited and regulated, but banned.

It's not creative, but instead often repetitive (people will makenew chars and try again if it worked out a bit, and they'll also try again if told off by admins, just adapting only the points that were argued, not their general agenda (to scam people).

Link to comment

Funny panda man already spoke on this? Unless there's something I missed, if this person gets CK'd they get banned or punished. They money will eventually be refunded and wiped. They can't make a new characters if they're banned. If they don't ck and make a new character just to repeat the process, the refund requests don't go up and no money is added back into the server.

 

m73v8xr.jpg

Link to comment

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
  • Create New...