Massive events

Shvag

2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

This tbh. The spring break festival last night was arranged in a separate dim yet with around 80 ppl in there at one time it was hella laggy and weird. I've crashed like thrice in a row whilst entering the dimension. Otherwise, obviously huge events are cool, we just need to understand that RAGE isn't quite yet adjusted for mass events.

Hi!

There were way more than 80 ppl inside. I still don't know how much we've managed to achieve on the peak, but we've got 365 UNIQUE names who entered the property.

The event was laggy because of: Rage issues (we can solve those), others issues (?) <- we are working on those.

2 hours ago, BINGBONGGHOST said:

Honestly think it's an engine limitation at this point and even though I'm sure improvements can be made on RageMP's end we'll never have 200+ people in a single place and have a 100% stable experience, think there's a reason GTA:Online is capped at 30 players afterall.

I am really happy that server didn't crashed. That was enough. (Last time we've crashed the server twice).

36 minutes ago, Moe said:

I walked into the event last night and was blown away by the setup. It was beautiful, and I was genuinely excited to roleplay there.

Thank you!

We've spend 2 months on planning the whole concept!

36 minutes ago, Moe said:

5 minutes in, I was met with some of the worst roleplay I have seen in a long time. People running around and script punching each other and people quite literally roleplaying "farting" on other people, kissing strangers and then running off, and all sorts of lackluster RP that came off as trolls wanting to have an ooc laugh.

We can't really control the roleplay quality, it depends on the people more or less. I am really thankful for a big team of admins who were helping us during the event to maintain the standarts and control the trolls.

When it comes to people who are running around and punching people - next time we will have a script that "doesn't allow people to hit&run". Basically people won't be able to "attack" each other on the property.

31 minutes ago, Rohan. said:

Yesterday's Vespucci event was amazing, I would love to see more events like it. No FPS lag at all, only thing that bothered me was texture loss here and there but hey, you can't do much about it. From realism point, it was pretty nice. People were more interactive, you could feel the event being alive.

Would love to attend one of these again.

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, lux said:

The way the Vespucci event was set up yesterday was great, the seperate interior worked really well.

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, lux said:

The 5k entrance fee was a joke and soured the overall event IMO as it just appeared as a pure cash grab.

I can truly say that we've been working around the event for almost two months. The mapping, the security, staff, DJ's, ads and everything else cost the money. I'm really sorry that it was looking as a "pure cash grab" but you are able to make way more than 5K while working at the gas station or any of 24/7's.

On top of that the price was high because:

- we are not getting any /openbusiness; /startshift or government funding;

- LFM is not giving money for the events afaik;

- we are not legal faction that gets "payday's".

So we have to pay for everyone from our own pocket.

Apart from that we've managed to gather all the most popular DJ's in one place and provide an unique experience of the event.

If you think that 5K was too much - get in touch with me on forum PM's - I will refund you the money.

As an ex-pawnshop/garage owner, I can tell you that I was making more money selling lockpicks and and knuckledusters or opening a garage on the server than making a festival for the last two months.

19 minutes ago, Yoak said:

@Shvag can correct me if I am wrong but I'm almost sure he lost money/barely broke even with the amount he put into the event.

In the end we have managed to become profitable ("achieved a plus after all the cost").

I don't know what do you imagine "profitable", but with all the cash I have earned I won't be able to buy an average stock apartment from gta:w map. And it's two months of work. 
I'll try to prepare a spreadsheet with all the balance to LFM to show how "realistic" it is to make big events and "earn money", while a simple night club is making exactly the same amount of money with one opening.

Edited by Shvag
  • Upvote 2
  • Applaud 1
2 minutes ago, Shvag said:

Apart from that we've managed to gather all the most popular DJ's in one place and provide an unique experience of the event.

If you think that 5K was too much - get in touch with me on forum PM's - I will refund you the money.

A slight off-topic here, but perhaps you should get in touch with SAGOV or LSGOV next time, to my knowledge huge cities like LA very often engage into some kinda partnership programs for mass events. Same way you somehow "contracted" LSPD and LSSD to provide security, and LSFD to provide medical assistance during the event, you should maybe reach out to either GOV faction and see if they'd be interested in helping you to fund an event of that kind. It could also open up some additional roleplay venues, both for you and them. Otherwise, I really like how the event worked out, really good job on it.

1 minute ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

A slight off-topic here, but perhaps you should get in touch with SAGOV or LSGOV next time, to my knowledge huge cities like LA very often engage into some kinda partnership programs for mass events.

Afaik, we've been trying to contract one of those "factions" (probably LS GOV, I don't know or SAGOV even exists). I was not the one who was communicating with them, but as I've understood - they don't want to take part in these kind of activities. At least right now. @ScottieP can correct me if I am wrong on this one.

4 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Same way you somehow "contracted" LSPD and LSSD to provide security, and LSFD to provide medical assistance during the event, you should maybe reach out to either GOV faction and see if they'd be interested in helping you to fund an event of that kind. It could also open up some additional roleplay venues, both for you and them.

We've informed LSPD/LSSD/LSFD that we are doing the event and they came to it "voluntarily". Afaik there was no plan that they will be "in the event". Anyways, big thumbs up to all these guys for coming over and helping us out to control/arrange everything. It was a nice collaboration and I'm really thankful for them.

5 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Otherwise, I really like how the event worked out, really good job on it.

Thank you!

1 minute ago, Shvag said:

I can truly say that we've been working around the event for almost two months. The mapping, the security, staff, DJ's, ads and everything else cost the money. I'm really sorry that it was looking as a "pure cash grab" but you are able to make way more than 5K while working at the gas station or any of 24/7's.

As an ex-pawnshop/garage owner, I can tell you that I was making more money selling lockpicks and and knuckledusters or opening a garage on the server than making a festival for the last two months.

Oh, don't get me wrong. What you guys did was wonderful, you can see the efforts that went into it and you deserve to make a profit off of your hardwork.

Coming from a pure IC perspective, money for festivals are typically funded by sponsorships and stalls within the event itself. I saw one stall that was giving alcohol away for free, I believe, but there is a lot of opportunity to generate income via the event itself that was probably a missed opportunity - but understandable considering the scale you guys went for.

I think the way the server is right now, people are always complaining of clubs charging the rates they do for their entrance - and events such as this charging quadruple the price for a very similar club experience (music, dancing, drinking etc.) could have a negative effect if businesses start looking at it from a, "oh, they charged 5k, I'm going to up my prices to!"

I think there's definitely an opportunity for you guys to reach out to local businesses to help fund and keep costs a little lower for the average civilian. For example, my business would have definitely helped sponsor the event and I'm sure record companies/food/breweries would have done the same which would have introduced some cool RP to build business relations.

On the grand scheme of things, 5k isn't a loss to anyone (apart from people that RP breadline characters) - it's the perception that more money-hungry players could look at the fee and start trying to tweak the economy for even more profit for their own businesses when prices are already pretty high for club RP.

Again, I absolutely credit you for what you did. I was only there for roughly an hour and it was definitely one of, if not the best, public events I've witnessed and you 100% deserve to profit off of your efforts and commitment. I hope you don't read too negatively into the comment as I genuinely admire the overall event and it's wonderful to see players actually try and provide these things for the community. You guys smashed it and I'm excited to see what you do in future.

15 minutes ago, lux said:

Oh, don't get me wrong. What you guys did was wonderful, you can see the efforts that went into it and you deserve to make a profit off of your hardwork.

All good & I am not bashing you or anyone else in here 😄

I'm just trying to explain what we are dealing with because some people are thinking that I will buy a house in Richman (I wish).

I know that people wanna know how much I've made.

The final number after all the costs is 5K.*

* It's without the cost of all the money that we've spend on the ads. We've never managed to count them. So yeah. Pretty crap.

15 minutes ago, lux said:

Coming from a pure IC perspective, money for festivals are typically funded by sponsorships and stalls within the event itself. I saw one stall that was giving alcohol away for free, I believe, but there is a lot of opportunity to generate income via the event itself that was probably a missed opportunity - but understandable considering the scale you guys went for.

So here is the dark side of the server that many of people don't even know about.

We've tried to work with other companies and business IG, but business owners asked us to PAY them (we have to pay them so they are coming to our event to sell their things). Yes. Festival should be paying vendors to come to the venue to sell stuff. Unfortunately but we can't afford that since we've been on a very tight budget from the start.

Why is that?

Because they won't be able to get their daily /openbusiness & /startshift money bonus if they will be working at our event and selling their things. Last time we've managed to go with some sponsors and provide some logos or exposure - but I can truly tell you that it makes more sense to get your own guys selling stuff (or give a free alcohol like we did) since they will have some commitments and won't leave after the server crash to open their business generate 20K entrance money.

Once again - don't take me wrong on this one.

I'm not saying that all the business owners are bad. I'm just extremely lucky when it comes to dealing with some extremely bad examples lately and during events.

Edited by Shvag
Just now, Shvag said:

All good & I am not bashing you or anyone else in here 😄

I'm just trying to explain what we are dealing with because some people are thinking that I will buy a house in Richman (I wish).

I know that people wanna know how much I've made.

The final number after all the costs is 5K.*

* It's without the cost of all the money that we've spend on the ads. We've never managed to count them. So yeah. Pretty crap.

So here is the dark side of the server that many of people don't even know about.

We've tried to work with other companies and business IG, but business owners asked us to PAY them (we have to pay them so they are coming to our event to sell their things). Yes. Festival should be paying vendors to come to the venue to sell stuff. Unfortunately but we can't afford that since we've been on a very tight budget from the start.

Why is that?

Because they won't be able to get their daily /openbusiness & /startshift money bonus if they will be working at our event and selling their things. Last time we've managed to go with some sponsors and provide some logos or exposure - but I can truly tell you that it makes more sense to get your own guys selling stuff (or give a free alcohol like we did) since they will have some commitments and won't leave after the server crash to open their business generate 20K entrance money.

Unfortunately, that's the bad side of business and I'm sorry you went through that but I assure you there are businesses/owners out there that would be more than happy to sponsor events in future. Hell, I'd have loved Hawaiian Snow to help sponsor the event if it meant DJs wearing our clothes or shit like that. There is a lot of opportunity, it's just trying to find the people who aren't entirely viewing it as profit, profit, profit. I'm sure there would be breweries out there that would happily sell alcohol at the event if they could slap their name on the posters etc. to.

Perhaps this is something you can bring to the Government, public event funding. I'm not entirely sure how it works right now but surely there's a budget that could be provided for events on the scale of this? It would help people be a lot more creative and bring these ideas to life for sure.

1 hour ago, lux said:

The 5k entrance fee was a joke and soured the overall event IMO as it just appeared as a pure cash grab.

I suggest you try organizing or at least be part of the management of these sort of events someday. The amount of work these guys put in the event is immense. 5k for a ticket is nothing compared to what characters earn in the server.

4 minutes ago, Rohan. said:

I suggest you try organizing or at least be part of the management of these sort of events someday. The amount of work these guys put in the event is immense. 5k for a ticket is nothing compared to what characters earn in the server.

I have done many times (not on the scale with the mapping, as that wasn't possible when I used to do events) and if you read my comments above I state the reasons as to why I found the fee could have been different.

Again, I've given full credit to the people who made the event. They deserve to profit for all of the hard-work and commitment they put in. It's what the server needs more of. I am just offering to the discussion where I think they could explore other avenues to help fund these events in future.

Edited by lux

1 hour ago, Rohan. said:

only thing that bothered me was texture loss here and there but hey, you can't do much about it.

same.

only thing id say to improve is make it last longer next time it should go on for a few days not just one.

Edited by Pathway
saw lux explained above so removed quote
  • Wuhtah locked this topic