Walk around more

TinPan

I don't care much OOC about losing money and items. I've walked into situations where I knew OOC I was going to get robbed. Sometimes it was great fun, sometimes it was shitty chain robbers. Even when no rules were broken, some were just play-to-win OOC money grabs.

I still walk, when it makes sense, but part of the problem is precisely character development. The crime rate in Los Santos is absurd. Players are OOC aware of this, and their characters are IC aware of this. They probably have been robbed or know multiple people who have been robbed or worse recently, or witnessed murders and tripped on corpses on the streets, even in areas that should realistically be somewhat safe.

People say "handle it IC" but then... well, that's people handling it IC. I do think some people are too afraid to walk, but it's understandable.

Example: I do wish the streets were more populated, and I agree that street RP is great! I agree with this post in general. But the example given was Vespucci and, welp... one of my characters got robbed twice in Vespucci in one week. They were fine, character development happened, etc, but... other people would  probably just move away from the area and stop walking around and that would be a normal reaction.

Edited by hillievonb

People are afraid of getting robbed but it's much less frequent of an occurrence then people let on to believe. I walk around constantly, I've maybe been mugged 2 times across all my characters. It's really all about making yourself NOT an obvious target and getting to know the locals in whatever area your hanging out in. In my experience once a group knows your "Cool" they won't ever bother you.

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, hillievonb said:

still walk, when it makes sense, but part of the problem is precisely character development. The crime rate in Los Santos is absurd. Players are OOC aware of this, and their characters are IC aware of this. They probably have been robbed or know multiple people who have been robbed or worse recently, or witnessed murders and tripped on corpses on the streets, even in areas that should realistically be somewhat safe.

People say "handle it IC" but then... well, that's people handling it IC. I do think some people are too afraid to walk, but it's understandable.

But that's not handling it IC. If your raising a stink on the forums instead of raising a stink IG through pressuring politicians and raising awareness for the issue. That's literally the opposite of "handling it IC". If what your describing is peoples actual idea of handling it then honestly? They don't really deserve the right to complain, it's harsh but its true. 

It's time to stop acting like the server should be a perfect world hand tailored to people characters and start actually RPing.

1 minute ago, Henning said:

But that's not handling it IC. If your raising a stink on the forums instead of raising a stink IG through pressuring politicians and raising awareness for the issue. That's literally the opposite of "handling it IC". If what your describing is peoples actual idea of handling it then honestly? They don't really deserve the right to complain, it's harsh but its true. 

It's time to stop acting like the server should be a perfect world hand tailored to people characters and start actually RPing.

I just said that people not walking outside seems like a reasonable IC response to the hellhole Los Santos has become, what are you even talking about?

3 minutes ago, hillievonb said:

I just said that people not walking outside seems like a reasonable IC response to the hellhole Los Santos has become, what are you even talking about?

Not leaving your home ever is not a reasonable IC response. 

A reasonable IC response to Los Santos becoming a hellhole is to raise hell with your local politicians about how it could have ended up this way.

When crime skyrockets IRL and the police do nothing, what do people do?  Do they just stop going outside? Your partly right but they also fucking raise hell about why they can't walk safely on their street at night. 

I know this is wildly off base from the original OP but it's an issue that directly impacts what OP is trying to get people to do. I don't disagree that crime is through the roof but that's because nobody holds the LSPD accountable. I would love to see Vespucci resident raise hell at city hall followed by a crime crackdown in Vespucci. But that's never going to happen (Just like what OP is suggesting) if people initial response to the issue is just to run to the forums and scream "Crime is out of control! Staff plz!!!!". 

I downright refuse to RP in the assumed universe that the server is actually a dystopian sinkhole where you cannot feasibly walk in a densely populated area without being mugged and/or attacked. But yes, this does happen with some frequency. Maybe 3/5 times, this will not happen, but the chances remain because characters passing through might be opportunists or characters on a notoriously predictable Enduro are swinging around the block to look for victims. 

With respect to what @Henning said, it will also largely depend on what character you're playing, what they look like and where you have them walk. I have a nomadic, antagonistic character that resembles a skinhead and nobody touches her. She looks like she'd tear your face off with her teeth, and possibly carries a gun or a knife of some description, even if she doesn't. I have another one that is softer, a good deal more feminine and I stopped counting the amount of times she's been robbed or almost robbed. If they look easier to victimize? That'll factor in too.

But that shouldn't stop you walking, and shouldn't stop people from player-reporting when poorly handled and poorly roleplayed robberies happen so that they happen less. 

Edited by shrike.

although I can see where ppl are coming from when they say they don't wanna walk cause of the muggers I gotta say just walking around with whatever funky music is a whole experience. 

Walk around more, you literally have nothing to lose.

39 minutes ago, shrike. said:

it will also largely depend on what character you're playing, what they look like

I don't know if it's my luck or the fact that I barely leave the beach but my character looks like someone who'd barely care to smack a mosquito and so far I managed to travel on foot without getting mugged once, so I don't know if looks play a major part. But WHERE you walk? Then that's a diff story.

• Wuhtah locked this topic