Joining existing factions rather than creating your own.

unlawfulact

Title says it all and I'm about to go on a huge rant, so bare with me.

One of the biggest problems on all roleplay servers is when friends get together and want to create their own factions, servers have countless amounts of small friendship groups which is great, don't get me wrong, but when they would rather create their own faction and roleplay amongst themselves rather than joining an already established faction as a group and developing through that it becomes a problem. Servers don't need a gangs/groups on every corner, street and block. It's getting to the point where you're now having two factions pretty much on the same street and it's just causing stupid roleplay, rather than the small group joining the faction that's in the area, they create this group and it just turns into a shit show from the get-go. The main problem which has made me do this is motorcycle clubs and how they're built in states and operate. It's extremely frustrating when you're seeing club after club pop up, not doing their research and flying colours and rockers that they aren't allowed to in reality. When they could've spent time doing their research into established clubs, which there's a few around the server now and just joining one of these.

Now, I know we can't stop people from creating factions with their friendship group, but promoting the idea of joining an established group in their area of interest first before letting them create it seems like the best idea. I'm sure I'm not the only person that feels this way, we don't need 219127 groups/factions on the server as this is what ruins the markets that're trying to get fixed as we speak, it definitely plays a factor in it, that's for sure.

I'd like this post to be a discussion and I might even make a suggestion thread if given enough input. I'd like to hear your opinions on the matter first however. 

• Upvote 3
  • Applaud 1

A lot of it is ego, you get people coming in from other communities who are of the belief that the factions in this community are trash who they, as RP gods from communities that died three years ago will be able to quickly dominate and rise to power over. However they usually find out quickly that some of the much larger and long standing factions on the server are pretty ingrained into power. They either quit, get banned or quickly give up their idea once this reality sets in. 

I'm not talking about any existing factions/groups either before anyone thinks I'm talking shit about them. This is just something I've experienced a few times over my time here. Overall though? I think we're in a much better spot then we were before "groups" were a thing. After listening to Bospy speak on the topic on the IFC podcast, I think a lot of people misunderstand what the "groups" really are because I sure did. "Groups" are supposed to be any group of 3 or more individuals which meets the definition of a gang and they aren't necessarily "Unofficial Factions". There are limitations to what they can do and how far they can pushup against "official" factions. Which was much needed since most threadless groups before the groups addition would just go automatically challenge anyone who already exist on the server regardless of if it made sense for them or not.

The only change I'd like to see is the possibly implementation of hardcaps on the number of members a group can have depending on what they are portraying. As it currently stands, it's still pretty easy to just call up a bunch of your old RP homies and amass a 25-30 man group. Even if it's unofficial it still gives you a pretty huge advantage and if you've got that many people invested in joining you should be able to provide a well thought out outline and vision for a faction application.

Edited by Henning
  • Upvote 1

There are also lazy people like me, who rather seek to join a faction instead of creating own one. Cause 1, it takes time and effort to set one up.

2, too much hassle imo. 3, where would zou be realistically, when most of turfs are taken? 4, you get the rest of it. I'd advise to join existing factions.

When you’re just a ‘group’ you should look at joining a ‘faction’ as a group and possibly even splitting off into a subset rather than being this small ‘group’ that’ll go to war with anything that moves in the area and if you have more firepower than the actual established faction in the area its lame. This is the kind of thinking the server should promote. Subsets rather than just be a completely different faction or group.

2 hours ago, unlawfulact said:

When you’re just a ‘group’ you should look at joining a ‘faction’ as a group and possibly even splitting off into a subset rather than being this small ‘group’ that’ll go to war with anything that moves in the area and if you have more firepower than the actual established faction in the area its lame. This is the kind of thinking the server should promote. Subsets rather than just be a completely different faction or group.

Certain groups are not realistically connected to any official faction on the server, though. I.E. Jamaican traffickers are not under any of the current official factions on the server, but serving a predominantly east-coast and Caribbean international trafficking ring in Kingston. Other groups might not desire to be taxed by factions that could be potentially above them as an integrated org etc... List goes on.

Pretty much, certain people desire to portray a certain theme that is not present within most official factions, and wouldn't realistically be able to integrate their unique concept into them. Alliances? Probably... minor dependency? Probably... but, not inter-twined with them as one org.

However, the main post made an interesting point. As SOON as I made the "Jones Crews", around two other Jamaican groups were formed within the server... one, which was archived for lack of realism, while the other one hasn't posted a page, yet. Instead, they should integrate into groups of the same theme while functioning as a "sub-group" of that org.

Edited by DLimit
5 hours ago, Henning said:

A lot of it is ego

It's not just that:

Keep in mind new players also simply have less ooc knowledge of the "local scene" to seek pre-set faction affiliations, and will take longer also to affiliate dynamically ic (as they first need to find out the who's who and filter out who's actually in charge of something and might offer reliable work, and who's just an idiot with big ego acting like a boss despite spending his time mostly sitting in a standard apartment with two bodies planning to take over the city).

Opposed to that, the optionsto simply create an own illegal faction immediately were present to new players (now that's split up abit with people first being "unofficial groups", indeed a thoughtful change btw, I agree there).

Just saying, don't be so harsh- keep in mind also "The Mafia" is not publicly recruiting. As mentioned above, if I as player come here wanting to play a cop, I know where to go, there's PD and Sheriff's, or private sector if I want that that's easily to spot.

I come and wanna get into a mob set? Well, I mean, I gotta find some I fit in first (ethnically in question), earn trust and so on, not be murked on the way- that's trickier than filing an application sheet from a motel room even for the humblest or clever of characters 😉

4 minutes ago, Shvag said:

I think everybody should get their own faction and become rich & famous and do everything they ever dreamed of, so they can see that it's not the answer.

Sarcasm aside, fame and money matter for recruitment:

A set that's obscure in character can be great rp and super realistic, but it's also not easy to approach for the outsiders in question here (if they get knowledge of it at all, that is).

The more (in)famous a faction is, and the more possible rewards it can grant to loyal members (financially or otherwise) the more people will flog to its banner, simple as.

5 hours ago, Henning said:

A lot of it is ego, you get people coming in from other communities who are of the belief that the factions in this community are trash who they, as RP gods from communities that died three years ago will be able to quickly dominate and rise to power over. However they usually find out quickly that some of the much larger and long standing factions on the server are pretty ingrained into power. They either quit, get banned or quickly give up their idea once this reality sets in. 

I'm not talking about any existing factions/groups either before anyone thinks I'm talking shit about them. This is just something I've experienced a few times over my time here. Overall though? I think we're in a much better spot then we were before "groups" were a thing. After listening to Bospy speak on the topic on the IFC podcast, I think a lot of people misunderstand what the "groups" really are because I sure did. "Groups" are supposed to be any group of 3 or more individuals which meets the definition of a gang and they aren't necessarily "Unofficial Factions". There are limitations to what they can do and how far they can pushup against "official" factions. Which was much needed since most threadless groups before the groups addition would just go automatically challenge anyone who already exist on the server regardless of if it made sense for them or not.

The only change I'd like to see is the possibly implementation of hardcaps on the number of members a group can have depending on what they are portraying. As it currently stands, it's still pretty easy to just call up a bunch of your old RP homies and amass a 25-30 man group. Even if it's unofficial it still gives you a pretty huge advantage and if you've got that many people invested in joining you should be able to provide a well thought out outline and vision for a faction application.

Yes I definitely agree with what's written above. I've seen it happening multiple times, and will keep on happening.

• Wuhtah locked this topic