The unacceptable time of CK appeals handling

Kappaurel

I've quit the server for the same reasons, reports and appeals that take months to complete, which are handled poorly in the end because so much roleplay has happened in the mean time and voiding the incident would lead to a whole domino effect, when it shouldn't have ever happened in the first place.

• Upvote 2
23 hours ago, radreaper100 said:

Peer review board for PK appeals composed of volunteers dedicated to discerning cases?

Aka a jury.

I'd say this. I've no clue how "under-staffed" the staff team is, but I suppose that at one point they could incorporate some kinda CK Review Board Subteam that would handle specifically all CK applications and all CK appeals. 

Way I see it there are two major issues with the system as it currently works

• The Character Killed player cannot see the original CK Application
    • This needs to be fixed because that leaves the original applicants with all the information and the user who was CK'd with less information to go off of.

Solution to this would be, if a player plans to contest a CK then they should be provided full unedited access to the original application. At this point their character is already dead and they need to know what they're defending against.

• The limbo of your character is far too long due to acceptance times
    • This creates two issues, one; roleplay is going to continue and piles upon piles of roleplay will be built on how your character is dead, thus if you are accepted 1 or 2 months later; then you're basically creating a huge loophole in RP. And two; leaving someone dead for over a month is unacceptable if it turns out it was unfair

Solution would be rather putting more admins and resources into the section, or giving more priority to doing it quickly. If someone made a CK application they should be required to respond to any appeals quickly and accurately. Without your usual 48 + hour waits.

The only solution I can think of:

As the OP has already said, the best solution is; if someone is CK'd via application then they are showed the document that was their CK application, if they decide to contest with it; they're UNCKed and are instead PK'd with no interaction with the cking group or person. What this would do now is create an urgency for both parties. So the CKers won't ignore the application as much.

Edited by KaythPlus

So we just got an update that CK appeals will be handled by illegal faction management. But as far as I'm aware, aren't those the same people who accept the CK applications in the first place? Isn't that system extremely prone to bias now? It's like having a pie baking contest and the whole jury consists of family members of one of the contestants. I would rather wait longer for a sensible and open minded review of a CK appeal rather than the exact same people reviewing their own decision? Lets not forget that by CKing a person you're also pretty much forcing them to donate OOC money to get a namechange for your character. Yes, it's a very little amount of money. Yes, the donations help the server a lot. But not everybody has access to payment methods that work on this server, not everyone has friends to do it for them. And not everyone can spare little amounts of money like that. Especially not during this pandemic where so many people lost their jobs. 

21 minutes ago, Martyn said:

So we just got an update that CK appeals will be handled by illegal faction management. But as far as I'm aware, aren't those the same people who accept the CK applications in the first place? Isn't that system extremely prone to bias now? It's like having a pie baking contest and the whole jury consists of family members of one of the contestants. I would rather wait longer for a sensible and open minded review of a CK appeal rather than the exact same people reviewing their own decision? Lets not forget that by CKing a person you're also pretty much forcing them to donate OOC money to get a namechange for your character. Yes, it's a very little amount of money. Yes, the donations help the server a lot. But not everybody has access to payment methods that work on this server, not everyone has friends to do it for them. And not everyone can spare little amounts of money like that. Especially not during this pandemic where so many people lost their jobs. 

CK appeals will be handled by IFM leaders, or management if they have time.

We've accepted maybe like 2 CK appeals in 2 years though. Everyone appeals with no reason to, so it slows down the process.

Shanks posted an update on this tonight it has been discussed quite a lot internally recently. The thread can be found here; 

https://forum.gta.world/en/topic/47664-character-kill-appeals-information-format/

In general we've changed it so that FM members can deal with appeals, the reason the appeals exist is so that the player who was CK'd can provide new evidence which may not have been known to FM at the time of them accepting the appeal (as they don't talk to the person who the CK app is against for obvious reason) or if there was a roleplay issue with how the hit was carried out, this should be able to be done by members of FM without any bias. 

If there is a mistake from a member of FM or there is a borderline decision, then myself or Shanks will handle the appeal, I expect this to only happen in rarer cases though.