Judiciary & You

Matt.

3 hours ago, Manny said:

I agree with you to a certain extent. I understand that at the time of the arrest some people may even be 100% unwilling to cooperate and may not be in a position to decide. Those people should contest their charges later on and there will be no issue with that. However, only last month I received 5 no contests and after checking their prison sentences, the requests were communicated to their lawyers immediately after they were released. In my humble opinion, those people intended to contest their charges from the very start, but they do not care about the fact that a lawyer, a prosecutor and a judge are going to spend the entire week for their case while they are busy getting arrested for other charges.

People do no contest because you get to do your jail time and decide whether it's worth a case or not. It's way more attractive than saying not guilty and waiting until the case is done (Which can take weeks.) When your charge is like... 2 hours, three days. Etc. And it's also better than pleading guilty and getting a point.

• Upvote 1
1 minute ago, spark0150 said:

People do no contest because you get to do your jail time and decide whether it's worth a case or not. It's way more attractive than saying not guilty and waiting until the case is done (Which can take weeks.) When your charge is like... 2 hours, three days. Etc. And it's also better than pleading guilty and getting a point.

You do have a point there. Maybe, this is something we could allow for lesser offences for which the sentence is minimal, but enforce heavier restrictions in cases of violent felonies or orther serious crimes that are severely penalised. We should definitely consider this suggestion.

For me I did no contest for a 2nd degree murder because I knew it was fight able, but did I really want to sit there and wait for a court case for an indefinite amount of time? Not really, but I didn't want points either. I think we should let people serve time while fighting a case. 

20 minutes ago, spark0150 said:

For me I did no contest for a 2nd degree murder because I knew it was fight able, but did I really want to sit there and wait for a court case for an indefinite amount of time? Not really, but I didn't want points either. I think we should let people serve time while fighting a case. 

People can be granted time served depending on the circumstances. Cases that are significantly delayed are always granted time served. It is only fair that you accept all the negative consequencies when you don't want to accept the criminal points. Cases that drag longer than they'd normally have to are not ideal for us either.

Edited by Manny
1 hour ago, Manny said:

People can be granted time served depending on the circumstances. Cases that are significantly delayed are always granted time served. It is only fair that you accept all the negative consequencies when you don't want to accept the criminal points. Cases that drag longer than they'd normally have to are not ideal for us either.

From personal experience even after a 9 day wait for my case I still had to serve the two hours. It was a slap in the face for sure. Felt like nobody gave a crap about my game time lol.

I know there's a lot of paperwork involved and figuring out what happened takes time due to scheduling, but the guys in the can can't do much else but sit, wait, be forced to do very limited rp, and hope they're found not guilty.

Love the system, I always come around to read cases. 

Wish I could be a part of it. in fact, if there was an actually existing Law Firm in game with a big office, That hired investigators and do depositions. I'd probably hop on that rp train, starting as a paralegal perhaps, just to get a feel for things.

I have been enjoying the defense cases from @Power

They have been really solid!

• Thanks 1

Coming from role playing on the illegal side for the past 10 years. I decided to go legal at the end of last year. Mainly just LEO roleplay. I ended up getting into the judiciary side after all the paperwork I used to have to do as a LEO. 

Now I’ve worked my ass off to be promoted to a judge and it’s probably the most fun I’ve had in a while. I no longer just go through the motions, I actually have a desire to do roleplay again. 

Now that’s out of the way, the probably one thing I do NOT enjoy about the court system at this time, is the long OOC times. Of course I understand how overworked we are as well as having real lives on top of that, but I feel no need that parties involved in a court case should need 72 hours recess for very trivial things. 

• Upvote 1
  • Applaud 1
22 hours ago, Ryoichi said:

Love the system, I always come around to read cases. 

Wish I could be a part of it. in fact, if there was an actually existing Law Firm in game with a big office, That hired investigators and do depositions. I'd probably hop on that rp train, starting as a paralegal perhaps, just to get a feel for things.

I have been enjoying the defense cases from @Power

They have been really solid!

There are paralegal and internship programs at the DA's Office. You don't need to be a legal expert or a fully-fledged attorney to roleplay in the judiciary. I do agree that being an investigator for a private firm would be totally cool, but unfortunately even the defendants will sometimes try to keep agreements and negotiations on the forums.

• Wuhtah locked this topic