Judiciary & You

Matt.

1 hour ago, Power said:

What? You are making no sense. There is literally no difference between No Contest and Not Guilty plea except No Contest allows you to request a trial within 30 days. You are still processed and serve you time. I am in the Judiciary which why I don't believe your assessment is correct.

Yes, you are part of the Judiciary as Public Defender but with all respect we, the prosecutors, are the ones who notice (and suffer) the current abuse of the Nolo Contendere (NC) system the most.

Scriptwise the difference is that, but from a realistic point of view it is being abused in an extreme way. A Nolo Contendere or No Contest plea, as the name well defines, expresses the wish for the defendant to not fight the charges, and in real life the process to withdraw a NC plea is REALLY hard.

We have been open and lenient to make the system better for the players, so they dont have to sit in prison but the system is being abused and it is a fact.

Also there are better ways to talk to people, instead of "Terrible idea" and "What? You make no sense", like it happened with

@Kenshi Haroku

Edited by Kappaurel
10 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

Yes, you are part of the Judiciary as Public Defender but with all respect we, the prosecutors, are the ones who notice (and suffer) the current abuse of the Nolo Contendere (NC) system the most.

Scriptwise the difference is that, but from a realistic point of view it is being abused in an extreme way. A Nolo Contendere or No Contest plea, as the name well defines, expresses the wish for the defendant to not fight the charges, and in real life the process to withdraw a NC plea is REALLY hard.

We have been open and lenient to make the system better for the players, so they dont have to sit in prison but the system is being abused and it is a fact.

Also there are better ways to talk to people, instead of "Terrible idea" and "What? You make no sense", like it happened with

@Kenshi Haroku

First I was in the DAs before I transfered to the Public Defenders office. I'll respond to the rest of what you said privately.

Edited by Power

Defendant Pro Tip: It's possible to request record expungements and parole/probation, which can be negotiated in a plea deal and is often preferable to watching your legal defense violently crash and burn under mountains of solid evidence.

Edited by DasFroggy

I don't know nothing much about the court, but the current system does take too long. To get a bail set or denied within the day or two should be the primary focus for you guys tbh. It took my character Hernando around 9 days to get a response about bail for a drug possession charge that would of taken around 2 hours ingame to go through if plead guilty. It really killed my drive to roleplay that character ever since, because 9 days a lot of people move on, and you miss a lot of rp events aswell. Maybe doing court through discord, then posting the rp in the Forums after the outcome is done would speed up the process since people use Discord a lot more than the forums, but currently the time is painful.

I just recently got into gang rp and it's even more frustrating, but court is only half of the problem. The cops are camping the hood heavy nowadays, it's legit easier to get away with murder in Vinewood than it is in Strawberry and they don't even care about proof most times, they're fine with having people waste game time in a cell after interrogated. Add that with long waits to drop a charge, and you're in for a terrible experience with the server all together. But that's mainly the police faction that's causing those problems.

Edited by spark0150
18 hours ago, DasFroggy said:

Defendant Pro Tip: It's possible to request record expungements and parole/probation, which can be negotiated in a plea deal and is often preferable to watching your legal defense violently crash and burn under mountains of solid evidence.

Plea deals are always encouraged, but most defence attorneys will ask for the dismissal of half the felony charges that could easily be proven. I assure you that nobody on the prosecutions side has any interest in overcharging. Most of the excessive charges, if not all, are dropped before they are even filed. Even if it is an airtight case, dropping a misdemeanor to speed things up is an option as long as the opposing side does not try to overplay that hand.

Expungements are also something we've considered many times in the past. It is not something we save for a guilty plea, but confidential information and one's full agreement of cooperation with either of the Detective Bureaus.

11 hours ago, spark0150 said:

I don't know nothing much about the court, but the current system does take too long. To get a bail set or denied within the day or two should be the primary focus for you guys tbh. It took my character Hernando around 9 days to get a response about bail for a drug possession charge that would of taken around 2 hours ingame to go through if plead guilty. It really killed my drive to roleplay that character ever since, because 9 days a lot of people move on, and you miss a lot of rp events aswell. Maybe doing court through discord, then posting the rp in the Forums after the outcome is done would speed up the process since people use Discord a lot more than the forums, but currently the time is painful.

I just recently got into gang rp and it's even more frustrating, but court is only half of the problem. The cops are camping the hood heavy nowadays, it's legit easier to get away with murder in Vinewood than it is in Strawberry and they don't even care about proof most times, they're fine with having people waste game time in a cell after interrogated. Add that with long waits to drop a charge, and you're in for a terrible experience with the server all together. But that's mainly the police faction that's causing those problems.

I am not going to respond to the police bit as it is not my line of work, but I think we can do something about the former complaint. First of all, there are certain flaws in the system. While Server Administration does not expect Police Officer or even gang members to be 100% realistic with what they do, for some reason judges expect prosecution to provide an airtight case and prosecutors have to compensate for the difference in standards. That is why we usually make use of the 72 hours we are allowed to you keep you in detainment before filing charges.

However, I am not going to deny that I have filed bail petitions that were no accepted because a case seemed to be complicated and would most likely turn out to be time consuming. We could create a discord text channel and have ping a judge to review a bail petition without necessarily forcing him to take the entire case and speed things up. I understand that it is dull, but please consider that the people defending or charging you are all going to spend just as much time preparing for your case. I have been arrested on an alt and was never bailed out, but I still have plenty of things to do in prison.

On 4/15/2021 at 5:54 AM, Kenshi Haroku said:

Yet, 99% uses it as a hail-marry despite evidence or in most cases being caught red handed. Aka, not what it's meant for. Aka Abused. If people within judiciary identify it as one of the main contributors to the problems...

I agree with you to a certain extent. I understand that at the time of the arrest some people may even be 100% unwilling to cooperate and may not be in a position to decide. Those people should contest their charges later on and there will be no issue with that. However, only last month I received 5 no contests and after checking their prison sentences, the requests were communicated to their lawyers immediately after they were released. In my humble opinion, those people intended to contest their charges from the very start, but they do not care about the fact that a lawyer, a prosecutor and a judge are going to spend the entire week for their case while they are busy getting arrested for other charges.

While five arrests are processed by five different cops, a prosecutor will most likely need to handle all five. The system is overwhelmed because not many people want to be involved or aren't confident enough to apply. Despite common belief, nobody in this system is a legal expert and they are not as competent as they think they are (myself included). If more people decide to get involved things will gradually improve as the work spreads evenly and more time for in-game roleplay with judges, cops, and members of the public could be made.

2 hours ago, Manny said:

I am not going to respond to the police bit as it is not my line of work, but I think we can do something about the former complaint. First of all, there are certain flaws in the system. While Server Administration does not expect Police Officer or even gang members to be 100% realistic with what they do, for some reason judges expect prosecution to provide an airtight case and prosecutors have to compensate for the difference in standards. That is why we usually make use of the 72 hours we are allowed to you keep you in detainment before filing charges.

However, I am not going to deny that I have filed bail petitions that were no accepted because a case seemed to be complicated and would most likely turn out to be time consuming. We could create a discord text channel and have ping a judge to review a bail petition without necessarily forcing him to take the entire case and speed things up. I understand that it is dull, but please consider that the people defending or charging you are all going to spend just as much time preparing for your case. I have been arrested on an alt and was never bailed out, but I still have plenty of things to do in prison.

I think making a discord bail system might bring positive results, but we need to make one, try it, and test it.

• Wuhtah locked this topic