Judiciary & You

Matt.

32 minutes ago, LICE said:

not true, i didnt get that option in my case

Link it?

You are always asked for a plea when arrested:

Guilty, NG or NC

You plead guilty, you dont go through court case

Unless it is a required case cause either you killed someone or you went over 30 criminal points, then you go through the court system, but you can plead guilty as soon as there is a judge assigned, and accept the punishment.

45 minutes ago, LICE said:

not true, i didnt get that option in my case

Actually I just read your case

It was your decision to roleplay a mental illness, it is a special case

However, if you want to exit the court system notify it on the case, as simple as (( I do not wish to keep going inside the court system, and I plead guilty to everything ))

• You have the right to opt out of the system at any point (Excluding instances mandated by the Penal Code charge), if you feel it is hindering or providing a nuisance to your roleplay. 

That is part of our rules.

5 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

Actually I just read your case

It was your decision to roleplay a mental illness, it is a special case

However, if you want to exit the court system notify it on the case, as simple as (( I do not wish to keep going inside the court system, and I plead guilty to everything ))

• You have the right to opt out of the system at any point (Excluding instances mandated by the Penal Code charge), if you feel it is hindering or providing a nuisance to your roleplay. 

That is part of our rules.

o i didnt see that, well i dont wanna do that that's silly but i didnt know u could opt out anyway

18 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

19098fad5a09b0f5e6aacdf721d8c68f.png
Does this still apply @mattmocz

I have been in the District Attorney's Office for a year. When that post was made about ten cases a month were prosecuted and the judges wouldn't even take your case to full trial, which means no witnesses, no depositions, but just statements being made by both sides. Things are different these days. There are currently 34 active cases and a few more that are being contested. This is a type of RP that doesn't intrigue the average player, which means it is extremely hard to find additional faction members and spread the work evenly to speed up the process.

Now, people want their trial to be fully realistic and grant a proper fighting chance so they could lose their charges, but that cannot be achieved in such a limited time frame. Also, if you actually look into these cases, the ones that take longer than that are usually delayed because OOC confirmation is required for evidence. I once received a complaint because the complaintant's own lawyer took five days to respond. Fast-tracking these cases would make our job easier, but the court system wouldn't grant you that chance you are looking for. You give something; you take something.

On 4/12/2021 at 2:17 PM, Kenshi Haroku said:

2) The court system is overwhelmed. Everyone is working at 150% capacity, because the plea system is flawed. There are alot of people who plead no contest & not guilty, despite overwhelming evidence. 

My suggestion would be to get rid of no contest plea's entirely, as they are the main culprit in my eyes atleast. Give people the choice between taking an L, and if they are 110% sure they are being mistreated icly, or that an error in judgement was made judicially, they can go not-guilty and get a proper trial. 

Appreciate your feedback but this is a terrible idea no offense. No Contest Plea allow people to serve their time so they aren't stuck in prison for 10 days while the trial is going on for charges that carry a max of 3 days imprison.

1 hour ago, Power said:

Appreciate your feedback but this is a terrible idea no offense. No Contest Plea allow people to serve their time so they aren't stuck in prison for 10 days while the trial is going on for charges that carry a max of 3 days imprison.

Yet, 99% uses it as a hail-marry despite evidence or in most cases being caught red handed. Aka, not what it's meant for. Aka Abused. If people within judiciary identify it as one of the main contributors to the problems...

7 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

Yet, 99% uses it as a hail-marry despite evidence or in most cases being caught red handed. Aka, not what it's meant for. Aka Abused. If people within judiciary identify it as one of the main contributors to the problems...

What? You are making no sense. There is literally no difference between No Contest and Not Guilty plea except No Contest allows you to request a trial within 30 days. You are still processed and serve you time. I am in the Judiciary which why I don't believe your assessment is correct.

2 minutes ago, Power said:

What? You are making no sense. There is literally no difference between No Contest and Not Guilty plea except No Contest allows you to request a trial within 30 days. You are still processed and serve you time. I am in the Judiciary which why I don't believe your assessment is correct.

I'm pretty sure he's refering to the difference of indefinite imprisonment pending trial/bail hearing.

• Wuhtah locked this topic