Judiciary & You

Matt.

46 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

As a cop rp'er. There are a few things that I'd like to bring up.

1) I've tried multiple times for a periodic review on issues that the department faces on the street, crime related. And each time I've been met with a hopefull response but ultimately that's where it always ends.

Traffic related, alot of people have complained about abhorrent driving behavior by people, something that others and myself try to tackle Icly by being extra vigilant for people driving like maniacs, but the penal code set up is lacking in terms of recidisvism and doesn't grant alot of freedom to exercise officer discretion to use. Drivers licenses for example are currently unable to be revoked, which is a clear issue, and worse of all, people know it can't be revoked. They also cannot be suspended unless for certain charges. Something that again, people know about and dance around. 

The judiciary has no more influence on the penal code ever since the legislative branch of state gov't has been set up. Beyond minor linguistic changes to fix an err in writing, all legislative changes are to be done ICly through the senate.

2) The court system is overwhelmed. Everyone is working at 150% capacity, because the plea system is flawed. There are alot of people who plead no contest & not guilty, despite overwhelming evidence. 

My suggestion would be to get rid of no contest plea's entirely, as they are the main culprit in my eyes atleast. Give people the choice between taking an L, and if they are 110% sure they are being mistreated icly, or that an error in judgement was made judicially, they can go not-guilty and get a proper trial. 

Getting rid of no-contest pleas would see a raise in not-guilty pleas which are required to be handled faster than a no-contest plea is. No contest pleas, though something I personally dislike, ease the stress on prosecutors who can now just arraign that case whenever they have time to, and criminals who are not forced to sit in prison for days pending trial only to be denied bail.

3) Fines are a joke. Not paying your fines is not a misdemeanor offense (while it should be). And people just let them stack with no consequence. There is an unnecessarily complex system in more that's nothing more than a ping-pong match between the 2 LEO factions and the courts that wastes so much time people just don't want to bother dealing with it. In my entire time in the faction, which is almost a year and a half. I've only been involved, or even heard of a single repo being issued and executed on behalf of the courts. And that in and of itself took a month or so to execute, only for the guy to pay his due's that very night, a few hours later, and got his car back. All that. Took a month. I didn't know whether this was hilarious or sad.

This is a law change that the senate could also work on in order to empower the executive branch (Including law enforcement) to act as debt collectors & obtain a permanent seizure warrant through a simpler process than the admittedly time-extensive process that exists now.

No contest pleas on this server have been misinterpreted (intentionally or otherwise), and need to accurately be reflective of what they are RL. 

Bail should be issued immediately for people charged with crimes where they are NOT perceived to be a risk to others while there not guilty plea is processed. (Mostly misdemeanours), should perhaps be ‘tagged’ etc?

You should not be afraid or forbidden from seizing assets, like vehicles etc or revoking licenses for a period of weeks/months where appropriate. If people make stupid decisions they deserve stupid prizes. Besides, revoking a license does not prevent a criminal for getting a car but further increases penalties should they be caught.

Now there is active prison RP, sentences for felonies should be increased.

Edited by Alyssa McCarthy
9 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Most idiotic idea I've read so far in regards to the judiciary system. The point of the court system is to be able to contest ALL charges & perhaps get yourself out of prison, no matter how solid the evidence is, not to mention opening a huge venue for illegal roleplay (i.e. tampering with evidence, buying witnesses etc.)

I'd appreciate it if you did't call people's ideas idiotic. I was here when the court system was introduced a year and a half ago and their goal was not to allow all charges to be taken to court. It created a whole new environment for illegal roleplayers, attorneys and prosecutors and also contrinuted to the overall development of report writing within Law Enforcement Agencies. Before calling that man's idea idiotic, I'd like you to research Nolo Contedere please and you'll see how those were modified to allow you and any player an easier approach. However, that system is currently being abused. If you expect a prosecutor to juggle with five cases at the same time, I expect the appellant to be man enough and accept the consequencies of a not guilty plea. The no-constest is simply a shortcut one takes to avoid jail time.

A plea of no contest is technically a conviction that cannot be used against you in civil proceedings. If we were to try the real-world approach with this like so many other programs, you would have to appeal or withdraw your plea and I assure you that 9/10 times it would have been denied. The person you quoted has a point. Abusing no contests cause a serious strain to the system and that's why cases are delayed.

• Upvote 2
2 minutes ago, Manny said:

I'd appreciate it if you did't call people's ideas idiotic. I was here when the court system was introduced a year and a half ago and their goal was not to allow all charges to be taken to court. It created a whole new environment for illegal roleplayers, attorneys and prosecutors and also contrinuted to the overall development of report writing within Law Enforcement Agencies. Before calling that man's idea idiotic, I'd like you to research Nolo Contedere please and you'll see how those were modified to allow you and any player an easier approach. However, that system is currently being abused. If you expect a prosecutor to juggle with five cases at the same time, I expect the appellant to be man enough and accept the consequencies of a not guilty plea. The no-constest is simply a shortcut one takes to avoid jail time.

A plea of no contest is technically a conviction that cannot be used against you in civil proceedings. If we were to try the real-world approach with this like so many other programs, you would have to appeal or withdraw your plea and I assure you that 9/10 times it would have been denied. The person you quoted has a point. Abusing no contests cause a serious strain to the system and that's why cases are delayed.

And that was exactly my point. The usage of no contest plea has to be enforced more strictly (i.e. let people know that it doesn't matter in felony cases and can be considered as a guilty plea) and encouraged to be only used in misdemeanor cases. However removing the no contest plea entirely would be simply stupid.

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
2 hours ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

And that was exactly my point. The usage of no contest plea has to be enforced more strictly (i.e. let people know that it doesn't matter in felony cases and can be considered as a guilty plea) and encouraged to be only used in misdemeanor cases. However removing the no contest plea entirely would be simply stupid.

That is something we have been working on for a while. However, there are other factors that we need to consider before making any modifications to the current system.

2 hours ago, Lomadias said:

The fact that a system like this, fleshed out to the extent it is, exists in a game is mind bogglingly awesome.

Agreed. I've been a part of it for 6 months and to this day it still surprises me. The reports written by criminalists and DMC too... it's just amazing.

15 hours ago, Kappaurel said:

Responding to these, no one is forced to follow the court systems, if it gets too extensive the option of pleading guilty and exiting the court system right away is always there!

not true, i didnt get that option in my case

• Wuhtah locked this topic