Judiciary & You

Matt.

As a cop rp'er. There are a few things that I'd like to bring up.

1) I've tried multiple times for a periodic review on issues that the department faces on the street, crime related. And each time I've been met with a hopefull response but ultimately that's where it always ends.

Traffic related, alot of people have complained about abhorrent driving behavior by people, something that others and myself try to tackle Icly by being extra vigilant for people driving like maniacs, but the penal code set up is lacking in terms of recidisvism and doesn't grant alot of freedom to exercise officer discretion to use. Drivers licenses for example are currently unable to be revoked, which is a clear issue, and worse of all, people know it can't be revoked. They also cannot be suspended unless for certain charges. Something that again, people know about and dance around. 

The traffic division's been asking for certain things to enhance speed enforcement within the city for many many months, speed camera's set up, superspeeder-clause, automatic upgrades to misdemeanor charges depending on the severity. All left unanswered.

2) The court system is overwhelmed. Everyone is working at 150% capacity, because the plea system is flawed. There are alot of people who plead no contest & not guilty, despite overwhelming evidence. 

My suggestion would be to get rid of no contest plea's entirely, as they are the main culprit in my eyes atleast. Give people the choice between taking an L, and if they are 110% sure they are being mistreated icly, or that an error in judgement was made judicially, they can go not-guilty and get a proper trial. 

3) Fines are a joke. Not paying your fines is not a misdemeanor offense (while it should be). And people just let them stack with no consequence. There is an unnecessarily complex system in more that's nothing more than a ping-pong match between the 2 LEO factions and the courts that wastes so much time people just don't want to bother dealing with it. In my entire time in the faction, which is almost a year and a half. I've only been involved, or even heard of a single repo being issued and executed on behalf of the courts. And that in and of itself took a month or so to execute, only for the guy to pay his due's that very night, a few hours later, and got his car back. All that. Took a month. I didn't know whether this was hilarious or sad.

• Upvote 1
5 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

2) The court system is overwhelmed. Everyone is working at 150% capacity, because the plea system is flawed. There are alot of people who plead no contest & not guilty, despite overwhelming evidence. 

My suggestion would be to get rid of no contest plea's entirely, as they are the main culprit in my eyes atleast. Give people the choice between taking an L, and if they are 110% sure they are being mistreated icly, or that an error in judgement was made judicially, they can go not-guilty and get a proper trial. 

Most idiotic idea I've read so far in regards to the judiciary system. The point of the court system is to be able to contest ALL charges & perhaps get yourself out of prison, no matter how solid the evidence is, not to mention opening a huge venue for illegal roleplay (i.e. tampering with evidence, buying witnesses etc.)

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
  • Upvote 2
8 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

As a cop rp'er. There are a few things that I'd like to bring up.

1) I've tried multiple times for a periodic review on issues that the department faces on the street, crime related. And each time I've been met with a hopefull response but ultimately that's where it always ends.

Traffic related, alot of people have complained about abhorrent driving behavior by people, something that others and myself try to tackle Icly by being extra vigilant for people driving like maniacs, but the penal code set up is lacking in terms of recidisvism and doesn't grant alot of freedom to exercise officer discretion to use. Drivers licenses for example are currently unable to be revoked, which is a clear issue, and worse of all, people know it can't be revoked. They also cannot be suspended unless for certain charges. Something that again, people know about and dance around. 

The traffic division's been asking for certain things to enhance speed enforcement within the city for many many months, speed camera's set up, superspeeder-clause, automatic upgrades to misdemeanor charges depending on the severity. All left unanswered.

3) Fines are a joke. Not paying your fines is not a misdemeanor offense (while it should be). And people just let them stack with no consequence. There is an unnecessarily complex system in more that's nothing more than a ping-pong match between the 2 LEO factions and the courts that wastes so much time people just don't want to bother dealing with it. In my entire time in the faction, which is almost a year and a half. I've only been involved, or even heard of a single repo being issued and executed on behalf of the courts. And that in and of itself took a month or so to execute, only for the guy to pay his due's that very night, a few hours later, and got his car back. All that. Took a month. I didn't know whether this was hilarious or sad.

Hello there!

- Traffic stuff: Permanent revokal of licenses is a big, big thing. In this game what you can do without a vehicle is really limited, people would CK their chars for that, so one has to be really really careful with this. However, if you guys from the traffic division offer us something like Vehicular Re-Education Classes, I promise you that we will make people go through them before they can get their licenses back, we will make it a thing. Feel free to contact me about it if you wish to push this.

Overwhelming and NC pleas: We are starting to address the NC pleas issue from the Office of the District Attorney. We are aware of the abuse and we are going to tackle it, and if it doesn't work I'm sure the possibility of revoking the right to appeal after pleading NC will be on the table, I am already supporting the idea.

- Fines: You are wrong there! 116. Failure to Pay a Fine (M), not paying your fines IS a misdemeanor. The problem is that LFM is not happy with the idea of asset forfeiture as far as I know, it is not on us!

If you wish to discuss anything else we are always open, feel free to contact us!

Edited by Kappaurel
15 minutes ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Most idiotic idea I've read so far in regards to the judiciary system. The point of the court system is to be able to contest ALL charges & perhaps get yourself out of prison, no matter how solid the evidence is, not to mention opening a huge venue for illegal roleplay (i.e. tampering with evidence, buying witnesses etc.)

You just proved my point for me. You don't need a no-contest charge to "Perhaps get yourself out of prison". That's what not guilty is for.

You either plead guilty, or you don't. Offering an obscure middle-way that in the words of judiciary themselves gets abused way to often is literally the definition of handicapping yourself. 

The idea is to streamline and make the courts more efficient. 

2 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

You just proved my point for me. You don't need a no-contest charge to "Perhaps get yourself out of prison". That's what not guilty is for.

You either plead guilty, or you don't. Offering an obscure middle-way that in the words of judiciary themselves gets abused way to often is literally the definition of handicapping yourself. 

I support the "Guilty/Not-Guilty" option as it's more realistic, in the end.

6 minutes ago, Kenshi Haroku said:

Then the courts should deal with the realistic usage of no contest plea and/or revamp it.

Here's a good article on how it works in California https://www.shouselaw.com/ca/defense/laws/no-contest-pleas/ . Essentially ban the no contest plea from felony charges. It should be only allowed in misdemeanor cases

"

The benefit of a “no contest” plea

The primary benefit in California of entering a “no contest” plea instead of a guilty plea is clear in misdemeanor cases.

When you plead “no contest” in a misdemeanor case, that plea cannot be used against you as an admission of guilt if a civil proceeding arises out of the same conduct from which the criminal prosecution was based.3"

"In California felony cases, a “no contest” plea has the exact same effect as a guilty plea and can be used as an admission of guilt in any other legal proceedings.”

Edited by i dont wanna od in LA
1 hour ago, i dont wanna od in LA said:

Court cases are taking too long. Hire some judges on an OOC basis, don't force them to actually get the BAR or w/e just make some sort of your internal tests.

Hi! We have been hiring members into the faction as Magistrates, they will be taking the lighter cases and the members who have a judge position would be taking the heavier cases.

1 hour ago, Kappaurel said:

The risk of 30 points makes the risk for criminals of losing their characters real. It is one of the best things this system has, and 30 points are A LOT OF POINTS, and 30 points won't necessary mean life.

Couldn't agree more with the longest penalty to be moved up, up to 60 days even.

To be fair. 2x assault on a gov worker and 2x attempted murder gives you 22 points so.. Idk how fast you can pull that off but I only have to smash 2 with a baseball bat for that to happen.

• Wuhtah locked this topic