Judiciary & You

Matt.

Just now, Fuse said:

Surely that's just a bit of a cop-out though and not fair? Like my character could be facing life? So of course they'd fight the charges.  Yes I've been offered parole but I still don't think it's right to just say "Yeah I plead guilty because people are taking too long."

Well, the thing is that without the judiciary system you would be forced to plea guilty at all times (you wouldn't even be asked, if you are charged it sticks) so... yeah, we always try to improve but court cases can get extensive and not just because people have lives, but because there is a lot of work behind.

4 minutes ago, Fuse said:

Surely that's just a bit of a cop-out though and not fair? Like my character could be facing life? So of course they'd fight the charges.  Yes I've been offered parole but I still don't think it's right to just say "Yeah I plead guilty because people are taking too long."

I would definitely say one of our main goals is trying to increase the speed of the cases. A lot of the time it is slowed by waiting for someone to respond, but we are working on ways to improve that.

1 minute ago, Kappaurel said:

Well, the thing is that without the judiciary system you would be forced to plea guilty at all times (you wouldn't even be asked, if you are charged it sticks) so... yeah, we always try to improve but court cases can get extensive and not just because people have lives, but because there is a lot of work behind.

Yeah that's true. Didn't think of it like that. But don't get me wrong I'm not trying to down-grade what anyone does if anything I got big respect for everyone involved. It's why said the idea about possibly scheduling a time good for everyone to be good to do it? Not sure if that'd be a full proof plan but could be a step in the right direction if thought out a bit more than on the back of a cigarette packet. 

1 minute ago, Fuse said:

Yeah that's true. Didn't think of it like that. But don't get me wrong I'm not trying to down-grade what anyone does if anything I got big respect for everyone involved. It's why said the idea about possibly scheduling a time good for everyone to be good to do it? Not sure if that'd be a full proof plan but could be a step in the right direction if thought out a bit more than on the back of a cigarette packet. 

Actually! We already have an option to make forum court happen in game, we do have the mapping, the rules, it is POSSIBLE to do it

But no one does it because it is really, really hard to get a judge, a prosecutor, a defense attorney and a defendant (4 people) in game at the same time! It's been done sometimes but... not common.

2 minutes ago, mattmocz said:

I would definitely say one of our main goals is trying to increase the speed of the cases. A lot of the time it is slowed by waiting for someone to respond, but we are working on ways to improve that.

Yeah it must be hard without being a pest to people via discord messaging, PMing IG etc. As it's meant to be fun for everyone involved and not a chore which I can see it becoming after a long while of being involved? Feel free to give me a shout at anytime if come up with a solution and want others opinions. Always happy to help! 

2 minutes ago, Kappaurel said:

Actually! We already have an option to make forum court happen in game, we do have the mapping, the rules, it is POSSIBLE to do it

But no one does it because it is really, really hard to get a judge, a prosecutor, a defense attorney and a defendant (4 people) in game at the same time! It's been done sometimes but... not common.

Yeah I really could see that being a struggle! I'm probably too ignorant to how courts really work but how long do you expect these sorts of things to last if done IG?

4 minutes ago, Fuse said:

Yeah I really could see that being a struggle! I'm probably too ignorant to how courts really work but how long do you expect these sorts of things to last if done IG?

Well, depends on what you are doing!

These are the current things allowed for in game courts:

• Bail Hearings
  • Witness Examinations
  • Motion Hearings (exclusion: Motion to Dismiss or Motion for Summary Judgement)
  • Evidentiary Hearings (admitting or excluding new evidence)
  • Court Judgements
  • Arraignments

Bail hearings would take somewhere around 30 minutes.

Witness examinations can last up to one hour or even more.

Motion hearings is more random, but short, 30 mins max

Evidentiary hearings would be quite short, maybe 15-20

Court judgements same, 20 or so

Arraingments could take around 25-30

BUT on top of that you need to plan a convoy with the LSSD, that can take alone 30 minutes.

If you want more information check the post down here!

Edited by Kappaurel
  • Upvote 1

Remove the points system.  Trials have slowed down massively since the introduction.

The risk of 30 points and a life sentence creates an artificial pressure for people to fight their cases.  It's all also a total OOC logic.

At the same time move the biggest long term penalty from 20 days up to 30.  Then with life beyond that punishment  remains purely IG 

• Wuhtah locked this topic