Advertisements UI & Full rework of the system

Entity

2 minutes ago, .Pluto. said:

What we need is a queue. It sucks when I need to "fight" with other 15 people who use key bindings for /bad. 

Apologies for double post, we sent our responses at the same time and I felt I had to respond. A queue would be the worst thing for the server, as I mentioned in a previous post quoted below.

13 hours ago, TheMac_Aodhagain said:

Please, NO queues. I'm pretty sure Nervous himself has rejected that idea, which makes sense because that would be chaos for the server. Placing a queue would be like the already scuffed house break-in system where you wait hours at one point just to break into a house to steal $100 worth of drugs. Imagine placing an ad in the queue, then its been in queue for so long you go roleplay elsewhere and all of a sudden the ad you already forgotten about is up next while you're in the middle of vital roleplay, getting spam calls and text or what have you.

Edited by TheMac_Aodhagain

I feel like this is a better option, I don't understand the notion that people won't actively look for ads... People look for them to find things to do, open businesses, rent, car sales, etc. I hate the screen spam, I'd much prefer something I can look at something on my own rather than being forced to keep ads on if I wanna look for something during the day. Yes please. 

I'd like to see a separate category for recruitment, so businesses hiring.

Then I'd wonder if having an "event" category might be worthwhile, for car-meets, protests etc. Saves spamming /cad and /bad for that. Include an optional blip.

Then, City and State could have their own category, for "Government".

14 hours ago, ayame said:

I don't understand the notion that people won't actively look for ads...

Thosenot looking them up are potential target audience too, simple as.

It's simply about business strategies- I can wait for people to come look my store up, or I can invest in advertisements to tell them go check my store.

The whole idea behind advertising is to get people to the business that would NOT look it up on their own.

For my regulars, I don't need ads, they come anyway!

Edited by knppel
  • Upvote 1
1 hour ago, knppel said:

Those not looking them up are potential target audience too, simple as.

It's simply about business strategies- I can wait for people to come look my store up, or I can invest in advertisements to tell them go check my store.

The whole idea behind advertising is to get people to the business that would NOT look it up on their own.

There's a very big elephant in the room though - the thousands of players that are going to be joining in the next period of time. The server went from 300 players to 1050 in one-two years and that number is only increasing.

Right now you can do /bad and have your business advertised. Lots of people are already complaining regarding not being able to do /bad because there's so many people doing it at the same time. If that number increases, the chance of you posting an advert gets slimmer and slimmer to the point when it will be basically impossible and a change will have to be made. It's better to develop such a system in time rather than be unprepared and come up with a solution that might or might not work in the heat of the moment.

While it might help a business in some way by having your advert forcibly displayed on everyone's screens, it's much more detrimental to role-play and lots of people will simply toggle them off altogether (as I do, as well as many other people I know).

• Applaud 1
9 hours ago, knppel said:

Thosenot looking them up are potential target audience too, simple as.

You forget as it is now people still toggle off ads anyway, they’re a nuisance to my chatbox and highly annoying, and a large majority don’t even leave them on because of how annoying it gets. I feel like an advertising app or UI like mentioned is the better option because I feel it won’t have as big an impact as you might think, let’s be real everyone checks the map and open businesses for when its time for shit, forums advertising, facebrowser etc theres multiple avenues to advertise and get word out about projects, busiensses, or companies without spamming my screen and this is the better way, especially considering a new system that allows players to not have to fight for a spot to advert as well.

This advertisement system is needed. We've reached a 750-900 playerbase on a daily basis, and the business/nightlife scene was more prominent back when we had 300 players around. There's too many players right now to support the current advertisement system we have, it's simply discouraging people from opening up.

• Upvote 1